PDA

View Full Version : U tube video of D8 and D9

J Hall
08-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi everybody.

I just logged into the new site...Going to be a nice foum..

Anyway we took another video of the D8 yesterday and I brought along the 1/8 scale D9 made a couple of years ago...The D9 has issues with the hoist for the dozer and will have to be re-designed.., but I wanted to see it run in the sand..

The sand is powder dry blow sand on an abadoned county road..You can see the car tracks about 5-6 inches deep to give you an idea how soft it is..

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the video..

Jerry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00eGnftj1k4

ihbuilder
08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Hi jerry , wecome . I was hoping to see your vids again .

Ihsteve

J Hall
08-15-2010, 05:25 PM
thanks Steve..

modelman
08-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks for posting your videos jerry-I enjoy watching dozers work, full size and R/C.

dirtpusher9
08-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Great video Jerry. You need another dozer hand there and really push some dirt. How well did the D8 balance out or are you still playing with the weight issue?

J Hall
08-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks Modelman and Joe..

The D8 is still nose heavy, especially now that I broke the drawbar off the rear end of the transmission case and that is where the weight rested.. I put the 5 pounds of counterweight up on the deck temporarily, so the total weight is there, but just too far forward...

dirtpusher9
08-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Well after running a dozer many, many hours I thought that might be the case. How much clearance do you have under the model, might could put some weight there.

JAMMER
08-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Jerry not one but two boy your really smoked. Ed

fhhhstix
08-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Welcome to the board Jerry we are glad to have you here.

Lil Giants
08-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Great showing Jerry, I'm glad you were able to figure out that youtube thingy, I luv watching rc construction. :cool:

J Hall
08-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks guys..I hope I don't become a pest here..I learn so much from everybody else..

Lil Giants
08-15-2010, 11:15 PM
PEST??!!! heavens no Jerry, we have learned a great deal from you in the short time we've known ya, keep it up.

J Hall
08-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Thanks LiL Giant (Joe)...Means a lot coming from you..

I will take the opportunity here to post another U Tube video made a couple of weeks ago..It resulted in a minor final drive breakdown, but was fixed in a few minutes back at the shop and was ready to go again...A lot of the guys saw it on the old forum ( Garden Trucking), but I think that there are a lot of original members of this forum that may have not had a chance to see it...

Hope you enjoy...

Jerry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2k68z-t73c

J Hall
08-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Joe, Post No.7

Forgot to answer you...Sorry...

It won't take long to make new heavier drawbar brackets, but right now I have to get a court model done for a law suit involving fatalities..I guess I will have to wait to play..Work always gets in the way of good fun..

Jerry

dirtpusher9
08-16-2010, 06:33 PM
WORK, it's a nasty 4 letter word isn't it?

mog
08-16-2010, 10:51 PM
looks good

sparkycuda
08-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Those are great models! I'm still amazed to know they are mostly wood..just so out of character since most dozer models are steel & other metals. Detail is wonderful.

Keep up the great work!

Ken Sharp

CatdrvR
08-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Hello Jerry, love watching the video! Those bulldozers are just awesome. I just went on vacation and encountered just such sand. To be honest... I got my 2003 Chevy Silverado burried up to the framerails in the stuff!!! :eek: What an adventure that was... oh and to make things worse... the tide was coming in! :eek::eek::eek: Anyways... great models and can't wait to see more videos from you.

Dan

td9clyde
08-23-2010, 08:36 PM
good to see you here Jerry

J Hall
09-11-2010, 10:46 PM
I got out for a while on the new dirt pile I had hauled onto my lot..I took a photo before I broke down again...
The clay brought in is full of clay balls that are imbedded just under the surface..I think if you look close you can see a couple on top of the ground..Well I tied into a big one, Scale wise about 10 feet across and 5 feet in diameter, sorta shaped like a big potato..It was near the edge so I went after it..Once I got it disodged and up out of the hole I made the mistake of not filling in the hole so the tracks went down on one side..Almost got stuck...In so doing I filled the tracks with dirt trying to squirril my way out and the clay filled into the links and really got packed in with the sprocket teeth,, Who hasn't done that with a real dozer from time to time...?? Well. a real D8 has a recoil spring built into the track roller frame that allows the idler to move back when just this sort of thing happens.., a small feature I forgot to include on the build..

It stalled the track a couple of times both going in forward and reverse, and then things went very silent..Those little window motors have enough torque to pull apart a #15 steel roller chain..A fairly easy fix, but the power exerted surprised me..

But it was a nice day and it was great to get out and play..

Lil Giants
09-12-2010, 12:17 AM
I've been there - done that Jerry. :D

The clay in my basement, I stay away from it with my tracked models if the dirt is moist at all, it's a real son of gun to dig that gunk out of the track links and get everything to run smoothly again.

J Hall
09-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Makes sense....We had about a 1/4 inch shower a couple of days ago...
Now if I had a load of sand to mix with it....

dirtpusher9
09-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I got out for a while on the new dirt pile I had hauled onto my lot..I took a photo before I broke down again...
The clay brought in is full of clay balls that are imbedded just under the surface..I think if you look close you can see a couple on top of the ground..Well I tied into a big one, Scale wise about 10 feet across and 5 feet in diameter, sorta shaped like a big potato..It was near the edge so I went after it..Once I got it disodged and up out of the hole I made the mistake of not filling in the hole so the tracks went down on one side..Almost got stuck...In so doing I filled the tracks with dirt trying to squirril my way out and the clay filled into the links and really got packed in with the sprocket teeth,, Who hasn't done that with a real dozer from time to time...?? Well. a real D8 has a recoil spring built into the track roller frame that allows the idler to move back when just this sort of thing happens.., a small feature I forgot to include on the build..

It stalled the track a couple of times both going in forward and reverse, and then things went very silent..Those little window motors have enough torque to pull apart a #15 steel roller chain..A fairly easy fix, but the power exerted surprised me..

But it was a nice day and it was great to get out and play..

Had that happen just once (I've been lucky) but the spockst will pack the rails tight if you don't watch it.

We need a video of you rolling out a big clay ball.

dirtpusher9
10-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Jerry, any new videos of your masterpieces yet?

J Hall
10-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Hi Joe..
I went out for a while this afternoon and should have taken the camera along..I busted the bottom sheave block mount on the dozer trying to pry out one of those clay balls..More repair..I guess I will have to start building them out of steel..

I have a question..What scale is your D9...I should know from past conversations, but can't remember..Your video of the loading of the 463 is awsome..

I was not logged in to the forum for a couple of weeks..Comuter trouble and its was away for a week...That is why I did not answer a couple of messages on time....

RCLogger ( Greg ?? ) I saw your request and tried to fill out the form, but am not sure what to do with it..Sorry..

dirtpusher9
10-12-2010, 05:23 PM
I sent you a PM Jerry.