PDA

View Full Version : futaba am radio

trucklover
04-12-2015, 06:34 PM
I know this is an old radio, but how much of an improvement is the 4 ch. futaba 2.4radio over the futaba am radio? Even in the sunny bright cloudless sky the futaba am radio that controls my Aeromax is terrible. The truck wants to zigzag at about 8ft away. Does the 2.4 glitch as bad as the am radio? Thanx.

TRUCKMAKER
04-12-2015, 08:15 PM
2.4 is 10 fold better than the older AM & FM transmitters, I haven't seen one glitch yet. The other problem is if you go to a meet or just get together with some friends and your running AM you'll have to make sure no one else is on the same channel or you'll possibly damage yours or some one else's truck. You don't have that problem with 2.4. If your going to invest in this hobby the best money you could spend is on a good up to date radio.

trucklover
04-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Yeah. I am in the market for a new radio. I have one fm radio that is ok with my globeliner, but now I am about to purchase a radio and was wondering just how much better the 2.4 is. Thanks.

kaptain Jack
04-13-2015, 09:01 AM
The 2.4 is better of course,but the problem you have right now,sounds as if your antenna on TX or RX is not fully extended. Not long ago people used to fly their rc planes with AM at much greater distances then 8ft. I still run one of my trucks on AM radio because 2.4 will not cooperate with old MFU.

trucklover
04-13-2015, 08:17 PM
Exactly. That is the only reason that I still use the am radio. From what I read the MFU will not work with 2.4. There is a Futaba radio that I believe is 2.4 that works with the mfu 01,and 02. I was wondering if anyone has used that radio.

mavrick0
04-13-2015, 09:12 PM
I'm pretty sure the issue isn't with the 2.4ghz radio not working with the MFU but more that most 2.4ghz radios come with digital trims which don't play well with the MFU. When I got back in and built my Cascadia I went with the updated Futaba 2.4ghz radio for the Tamiya semi's and tanks. But know guys are using the Spektrum DX6's without issues and have one for a truck I'm working on and it can be set up to work fine with the MFU. But 2.4ghz is far and away much, much better then the old AM and FM setups on many levels.

trucklover
04-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Thanks. I think i might go for the upgraded futaba 2.4 but do like being able to run different models with one remote.

ricm
04-16-2015, 06:12 PM
definitely upgrade to 2.4.

I had trouble with both AM and FM radios - replacing servos because I thought it was 'glitching' but in the end the reception where I lived was rubbish. The 2.4 option solved all of that...

There are a number of 2.4 radios which work with MFU, I'm not sure about the Futaba FASST range, I know the 4YF that comes in FHSS version doesn't work with MFU because I tried that as my first option to upgrade from a Futaba 4YF FM radio. However, I can vouch that the follwing other options do work with the MFU, because I've used them or I know people who do:

Carson 6-stick Reflex (manual trims).

Spektrum radios 5e, 6i, 8 (digital trims)...I would guess that the other radios in Spektrum's range will also be OK, but I would double check before buying.

Turnigy 9x, 9xr, 9xr pro (digitial trims).

The Turnigy 9x can be found re-branded as FlySky, ER9x, amongst some others.

trucklover
04-18-2015, 02:11 PM
Ok thank you for the detailed info.