PDA

View Full Version : Help

kaptain Jack
05-02-2015, 08:25 AM
Just picked up a slightly used factory built MAN with Tamiya (futaba) radio and MFU 1 . Two problems: with the vibrator on,it makes weird grinding sound when driving. Second: turn signals don't work, even when I tried different Futaba radio. Anyone experienced something similar, or knows the remedy?
Thanks
Jack

mavrick0
05-02-2015, 10:30 AM
I would suspect that the vibration weight has moved or wasn't put on right and is rubbing either the plastic case or the metal mount. As for the turn signals are you sure it's an 01 and not an 03? Do the 4way flashers work or nothing at all from the turn signals work?

ricm
05-03-2015, 12:10 AM
OK - back to basics.....

what radio are you using?

Do you have the manual for the MFU? If not, I can scan mine and send you a copy.....then...

1) check MFU is plugged in correctly. In standard installation, the MFU-01 only activates the indicators when the steering is at full lock (MFU-03 is different, I am assuming you are certain you have MFU-01!). The previous owner may have plugged the steering servo directly into the receiver, so that the MFU can't 'see' the steering signal, and then used another channel for the 'steering input' into the MFU to activate the indicators. This allows you to activate the indicators independently of the steering using a spare channel, but means that without a separate signal to the MFU the indicators won't work (this is the set-up I use)

2) Good idea from Maverick0....do the hazard flashers work? To check that the indicator driver circuits are all OK....

3) If the MFU is installed as per manual, re-calibrate MFU. The calibration process gets the MFU to recognize the 'end points' of the stick travel so that it know when to activate the indicators (at full lock)...this may fix the turn signal problem. The MFU is pretty robust but it needs to be calibrated correctly with your RC gear. It's easy to do, manual explains how...

4) check vibration unit is OK and assembled correctly, anything loose? there is a small grub screw which holds the spinning weight onto the motor drive shaft...has this come loose? Have you tried running the vibration unit with the truck in 'engine revving' mode only, to see if its the vibration unit or something with the truck motor or transmission? Also, try driving the truck with the vibration unit unplugged from MFU....does the noise go away? The MFU has a vibration speed control, try turning this down to see if this helps?

I have a spare vibration unit if you want one :D

kaptain Jack
05-03-2015, 08:58 AM
Wow, thanks for advice guy's I haven't checked the vibration unit for assembly mistakes yet,but sure that what makes the noise. But,!!!!! the steering servo was plugged directly into the receiver.! What doesn't make sense, is WHY in the name of god, cut the harness in half leaving both halves in a tight almost invisible area of the harness? Just unplug the thing if don't want to use it.....
Thanks again guy's.
Jack

mavrick0
05-03-2015, 11:01 AM
Sounds like the owner was special. Specially considering this was a factory RTR so I would hope the factory didn't do this.

BTW was this the one sitting up at zoom room Jack?

ricm
05-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Wow, thanks for advice guy's I haven't checked the vibration unit for assembly mistakes yet,but sure that what makes the noise. But,!!!!! the steering servo was plugged directly into the receiver.! What doesn't make sense, is WHY in the name of god, cut the harness in half leaving both halves in a tight almost invisible area of the harness? Just unplug the thing if don't want to use it.....
Thanks again guy's.
Jack

I doubt the factory builder assembled it this way....sounds like previous owner might have had a play....which harness was cut? pretty stupid thing to do...!

OK - so for the indicators to work as per standard install you need to plug the MFU 'steering input' lead into the receiver, then plug the steering servo into the MFU.

Note that if the vibration unit is turned up, it might have caused something unrelated to it to come loose which is now rattling...that -could- be making the noise....

kaptain Jack
05-04-2015, 08:38 AM
Mavrick, you are right, it was from Zoom room. I grabbed it on Friday,just couldn't resist such a nice paint job. Surprised it lasted in the store for whole two days.
Ricm, your advice was right on, once I took a close look, I found neatly cut harness and after market servo plugged directly into RX. After soldering it back and plugging back as it should be, blinkers are back.I took apart vibrator and found nothing wrong, put it back together and the noise was gone. Maybe something in the way things where plugged in, interfered and created the noise. I will post the pictures of the truck.

ricm
05-04-2015, 07:05 PM
Sounds like something in the vibrator unit might have been a bit loose, good to know you got everything sorted.