PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question

Fireman700
12-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Okay stupid question - but its been a while since I've tinkered with FM transmitters.

I have 2 trucks running on 72MHz FM. One is High Band at 51 according to the Crystal and the Other is at 58. Both trucks are running the same Receiver different Crystal. If I buy another 51 or 58 crystal, can I just swap the crystal and use the same radio for multiple rigs? Or is there some binding process? If its just a simple crystal change I can then get another FM receiver and the same crystal and run all 3 off one radio.

I want to scale back on the number of radios I have - 4 trucks and 4 radios is a bit much. If I can do 4 trucks (3 off one radio and one off the other I'd be alot happier for travelling with the trucks). Thanks for answering my stupid question

pugs
12-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Trx crystals channel would have to match the Rcx crystal channel is all for the older radios IIRC. Just be sure the crystals are for the proper frequency band

These newer radios are on 2.4mhz I think, and don't uses crystals anymore, so there is a digital binding to be done.

Espeefan
12-17-2010, 12:07 PM
As long as the frequencies and channels match, there should be no problem using one radio to run multiple reveivers.

mtdriver
12-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Depending on what transmitter you have, change only the receiver crystal. Some transmitters dont play nice when you change their crystal.

ihbuilder
12-17-2010, 05:45 PM
I do this all the time with my airtronics vg6000 and rd6000 with no problems . I'm not sure on other brands :confused:

Fireman700
12-17-2010, 05:59 PM
From everything I've found I answered my own question as long as it is the same MHz range and bandwidth high or low it will work. I tested it briefly tonight and it worked fine.

mazdaparts
12-18-2010, 01:46 AM
72MHz worries me a bit. That is reserved for planes and heli's. Hopefully there isn't anyone in your area trying to fly when you are operating your truck(s). I'm not positive but I think you can send your radio in to the company to have it converted to 75MHz.

mtdriver
12-18-2010, 11:33 AM
You can get your radios converted. 72mhz is technically the band reserved for the sky, so you can get in trouble IIRC, but by who im not sure. Just something I've heard thrown around a lot by the plane guys.