PDA

View Full Version : Saber tooth glitches question

Cooper
05-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Hey guys, I referring to the sabertooth 2x25 esc I'm using in the d11. The problem is ; everyonce in a while the esc will reset neutral to a forward or reverse (off stick neutral ) position. I originally was using a turnigy9x radio and just thought it was a radio glitch (beaten up radio) so I swapped out for the taranis radio system I'm using now. Figured that would resolve it. Nope still does it. I originally did not disconnect any duplicate power sources. As to me it doesn't change power input as all positive and negative rx pins are connected. And that really only matters in a power draw or bec issue, but I did go and disconnect power feeds to rx, now power is only from one source, the sabertooth. I did put a electrical choke on both signal wires and still have both negatives hooked up, only pulled the one positive signal wire. I have noticed if I don't go to extremes on stick then it doesn't do it as often. This only happens like 2 out of five times, but it still happens. Batteries are full charged and I'm sure it's not a battery issue. And I doubt that it is a amp draw issue as it has never done it when batteries are about dead (lipos) I'll have to check amp draw on motors to see what kind of headroom I have there. But like I said if it was a temporary brown out I would think it would resort to startup mode and beep a few times like normal startup. And from using two different radio systems with problem still showing up I doubt it's any program or radio signal issue. Possibly adjust end points on throttle input? Anyone got any ideas? It not a real issue but more of a pain in the but to go turn off/on after I've gotten comfortable in my cozy operators chair!!!!:lol:

fhhhstix
05-28-2015, 06:42 PM
I have had it happen before but it quit when I went to a separate BEC. I think the BEC in some of the Sabertooths just break down over time and it is only a 1AMP to begin with. Try using a receiver pack with both red wires from the esc unhooked to see if it helps. I even had a bone head Idea and overloaded my stand alone BEC and had the same thing happen again and it had me baffled till I figured out what I had done. The short story, a 20 amp Castle BEC won’t run a servonaut sound system.:o

Cooper
05-28-2015, 08:52 PM
The other power source I have is the esc from the pump, (premacon pump) Robbe I believe. They are all wired to a switch from battery. Maybe I'll pull those power wires from the sabertooth and try feeding rx with the Robbe pump esc. I just don't want to have separate rx power source. But I may do as you say and temporary hook up a separate battery to supply rx and see if it eliminates problem. Thanks for the info fhhhstix. I let ya know how I make out.

RCP57
05-28-2015, 09:02 PM
Same thing happens to me every once and a while. I run Sabertooth ESC's in almost all of my models with a couple of different setups and they all do it occasionally. I don't get it as it's not consistent. Sometimes it happens on start up and sometimes during operation. Pi$$e$ me off!

Lil Giants
05-28-2015, 09:22 PM
The only time I have a reset is when battery gets low, and it's only the 2x12 in the Stahl adt that does it.

If I pull the red wires in any rx leads in any Sabertooths I have, then the Sabertooths don't work at all. Some models have additional BEC power from an rx battery added & others have pump esc supplying extra BEC as well.

Cooper
05-28-2015, 09:36 PM
Yeah I know!!! I was beginning to think it had something to do with not calibrating throttle or something to do with limits. I wonder if they have a weak bec and somehow looses the pulse wave, making it think neutral is in a new location. It's rare but occasionally it will nutralize itself resulting in the model turning, mostly ends up forward or reverse drifting. At least I can quit trying to figure it out!!! Thanks for the confirmation reg.

Cooper
05-28-2015, 09:39 PM
The only time I have a reset is when battery gets low, and it's only the 2x12 in the Stahl adt that does it.

If I pull the red wires in any rx leads in any Sabertooths I have, then the Sabertooths don't work at all. Some models have additional BEC power from an rx battery added & others have pump esc supplying extra BEC as well.

Good to know , it doesn't happen often, just when I'm showing someone how it works, then it messes up!! Murphy's law right!!

fhhhstix
06-01-2015, 07:50 PM

That is odd your sabertooth won’t work with the red receiver lead removed mine works better with them removed.:confused: I don't know but it works for me.

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/brokenb4/IMG_1006_zpsieflri5t.jpg

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/brokenb4/IMG_1005_zpszqhqcx0y.jpg

Rvjimd
07-12-2015, 09:54 AM
Hope I'm not hi jacking the thread here, didn't pay attention to the last date posted...

I have a sabertooth 2-5 that I am going to put into the crawler crane. Can or does it do BEC? From the thread here it seems yes.

Do I want to just continue to use my BEC already in the crane and then do I need to clip ALL red wires from the ST?

Jim

fhhhstix
07-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Hope I'm not hi jacking the thread here, didn't pay attention to the last date posted...

I have a sabertooth 2-5 that I am going to put into the crawler crane. Can or does it do BEC? From the thread here it seems yes.

Do I want to just continue to use my BEC already in the crane and then do I need to clip ALL red wires from the ST?

Jim

If you allready have a good BEC then take out the red wirs from the ST and you will be fine. The ST just does'nt have a good BEC.

Travis

Rvjimd
07-13-2015, 02:53 PM
FYI,

I started a help ticket with Dimension about my 2x5 controller. I thought I was going to completely scrap it but did as you guys suggest and ran a dedicated BEC and it all works fine.

All I learned from tech support is the 2-5 is only 100mA. They said "oh no, it couldn't possibly run four servos" well that is a bit of information I could have used before I bought it...:rolleyes: I'm not sure 100ma will power a six channel RX with NOTHING else plugged into it? In fact it didn't seem too for me. I tried the dumb thing all by itself with the two small motors and NO servos and it wouldn't run the motors.

Anyway, it works fine when used as a motor controller only, powering the RX with an independent power source.

Jim