PDA

View Full Version : All American Kenworth

Claus
12-23-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm just about ready to give up on my King Hauler, I don't think it will ever be what I really want. I collect 1/16 scale tractors and I really want a truck that matches my tractors. I'm thinking about trying to convert an All American Kenworth to RC. Has anybody here thought about doing the same?

http://www.allamericantoyco.com/kenworth.php

They also come in kit form.

http://www.allamericantoyco.com/KWKit.php

hitachi
12-23-2010, 12:58 PM
use the body from one of those kits
and put it on a running chassis from tamiya or wedico:)

Claus
12-23-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't think that would be very easy, the scale difference is pretty great. Not sure what I would do about drivetrain or tire/wheels.

A Wediso sleeper is 6.5" wide the Kenworth is 5.25", just for comparison.

9W Monighan
12-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Those are really nice trucks. I like those "Needle Nose" trucks of the 50's and 60's.
I was going to buy a 1:1 1964 Peterbilt 281 one time.

Espeefan
12-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Craig, I know you and I have been talking about this a bit lately. We see guys run the Bruder Mack Granite cabs on a Tamiya chassis all the time, when they actually fit a Wedico chassis better. The difference in scale is not that big that it ruins the effect of the model, in my opinion. Do you know how wide the All American Toy KW chassis is, or the axles, measured outside wheel to outside wheel? I could measure up my Wedico and let you know how close or how far off it would be.

I say anything is possible, when it comes to RC conversions. It just depends how creative you are, how patient you are, and how much your budget allows you to spend. I seriously think it could be done, and done nicely, but when you tread off the beaten path, you are pretty much forced to blaze your own trail! Not everything will be quite as easy as just bolting together a Tamiya or Wedico kit. As they say, 'The road of innovation is never paved'.

Izzy
12-23-2010, 07:19 PM
One of our own out there has converted a 1/24 scale model over to rc - it can be done ....