PDA

View Full Version : Great weekend!

SmallHaul
08-15-2010, 09:31 PM
I just got back from a great weekend hauling dirt (both RC & 1:1 scale equipment) with Steve (9W Monighan) at the National Pike steam & Engine show. What a great time!

Probably a dozen or more full scale equipment operators ran my RC Doepke dragline crane & 4x4 tonka dump truck and they really enjoyed it. One guy Jay that ran a dragline for many years showed me how to pick up rocks using the lead chains on front of the bucket, very cool.

Full size equipment I got about 3 hours on an Ensley dragline (1:1 scale) and about 1 1/2 hours on 22-B shovel (1:1 scale) what a blast! They were a LOT harder to run than my rc'd Doepke that is for sure. I have vids of me running the Ensley the first day that I can post up later (no laughing aloud! ;-)

I'll try to get pics & vids up later this week when I get a chance.

Thank you very much Steve for the invite and hospitality. The people where so nice & friendly I felt at home the first day I was there.

Roadmasters
08-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Can't wait for the pics and vid Scott!

Brian in PA
08-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Hey Scott it was nice to see you there and to meet Steve. do ya think you'll come back next year?

Brian

ihbuilder
08-15-2010, 09:54 PM
I'll be there with a pan :D I wish I could've come then I couda show you how to operate them antiques :rolleyes::D but some ones will be getting some stuff this week :eek: I'm guessing between you 2 and I we'll be seeing Steve here sometime.:cool: PICS PLEASE :p

IHB

SmallHaul
08-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Will do Arioch!

Brian, it was great seeing you there too. Yes, I will be back for the spring show. Do you think you'll make it?

Steve, those antiques are a blast to run. I expected the shovel to be hard to run but, I was surprised how much time it took to get used to the dragline. I also rode around for a while in a B Mack DT hauling loads that was recently restored. What a beautiful truck!

Brian in PA
08-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Scott We've never been able to do the spring show. maybe next year we will. We have been doing the summer show for 5 years now, and it keeps getting bigger every year. Oh ya ,thanks for letting me run the Bruder Mack!

Brian

Lil Giants
08-15-2010, 11:45 PM
"no laughing aloud" that's funny stuff right there! Looking forward to your vids & pics. :)

SmallHaul
08-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Here you go, Joe:D

Steve's son Mike rode me to the top of the "digging pile" on there old military mule so I could do a full 360 view of the digging area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvqwrD-cX4I

Short vid of me trying to run an Ensley dragline:o:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tidv_8iyjNg

For people who have already met me at meets..yes, I got my hair buzzed because of the hot summer.:cool:

JAMMER
08-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Scott very nice video's. Ed

9W Monighan
08-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Old Iron is very addicting Scott. When I first went to that show in 1983 or 1987 I can't remember, it was very small and all the digging was done where the Potato Shack is now. And that was just one of the founders Erie Steam Shovel (not the current one that's there) and the #4 Keystone Skimmer shovel and I was hooked then, especially the Caterpillar crawler tractors witch my collection has grown to about 17 machines some running some parts:D You did well on Sam's 22B shovel, your digging area just needed cleaned up some and it would have been easier for you just starting out. I taught Mike how to run Sam's grandfather's little 10B when he was 7yrs old. He probably could have done it sooner but his legs weren't long enough to reach the brake pedals:D

ihbuilder
08-17-2010, 10:05 AM
great vids scott looks like you did pretty good my dad ude to run the cable hoes I think he would've love to be there to It's just getting him to get away and relax Is the fun part .

IHSteve

modelman
08-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Great job Smallhaul-Looks like shovel heaven! Another place on my list of things to do!

rcpuller
08-21-2010, 04:00 AM
with all this talk of all the fun ya guys are having, its making it hard for me to not get back into the rc trucking stuff....if i sell off all the non used stuff i have now i could be back in the game big time.....

firefighter30
08-23-2010, 11:29 AM
I new me and travis should of went to the show but it is the same weekend of the start of our county fair and according to the wife fair is more important.

OhioFarmboy
10-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Sounded fun