PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Delaware

Heavy Metal
12-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Hello all. I'm pretty much a newbie. I tinkered with some things a couple years back and got side tracked with other interests. In fact, I had posted a hello message and a handful of questions and comments on the old Garden Trucking forum back then. I was surprised to find it had been shut down. Seems like everyone moved their posts here...am I right about that?

Anyway, my first interests were centered around miniature hydraulics so before I went 'on leave' from the hobby I did manage to collect a full compliment of hydraulics and assemble them into a working test board which included a partially converted Ertl 1:12 Ford 755A loader backhoe. I will post a thread on this experiment sometime soon for your amusement. Some of you may have happened across a short 40 second video of this thing on youtube. I put it up there as a way to show a friend of mine what I was trying to explain on the phone and has since been viewed 51,000 times!

I find myself back here on this board because I found a great deal on a Tamiya King Hauler on Craig's List and talked my wife into buying it for me for Christmas. It's fully assembled and operational including flatbed trailer, transmitter, battery and light kit for both tractor and trailer. It's real nice, almost mint condition but 100% stock. At minimum I think I'm going to put in an MFC (just gotta have the cool sounds and vibration!) and do a gear reduction on the drivetrain. I will be posting some questions on this thing and will be sure to take photo's and do a post if I do any notable mods.

Thanks to you all for taking the time to post your ideas, information and photos. There is some amazing workmanship on this forum.

Regards,

Joe B

fhhhstix
12-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the forum Joe we are allways glad to see new people. Please post some pics of your stuff the members here can't get enough.

Travis

Tamiya Cowboy
12-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Welcome Joe cant wait to see picks of your great find..

Lil Giants
12-27-2010, 09:52 PM
I remember your back hoe experiment, that was pretty nifty... to bad there isn't room in the model to make it rc. Do you still have it, gonna do anything more with it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ4FLg9d6R4

Heavy Metal
12-27-2010, 11:12 PM
I remember your back hoe experiment, that was pretty nifty... to bad there isn't room in the model to make it rc. Do you still have it, gonna do anything more with it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ4FLg9d6R4

Joe -
Yes still have and run it every few months. I'm glad you remember - the one thing I always think when I see it on the shelf is "Lil Giants Joe says there's no room to RC this". LOL. I always felt that was a challenge...but too many other things going and went on the shelf.

And yes, still plan to do something with all these nice parts. Dream would be a scratch build of Deere 710J loader/hoe in 1:14. I did a lot of prep work to that end, (field photos, measurements, scale drawings...I even have the gearhead motors for it) just need spark to bring it home I guess. Perhaps the King Hauler and finding you guys here will get me going.

P.S. I couldn't find you guys for a few days...finally had an idea...I typed "hauling dirt out of my basement" into Google. :D

Lil Giants
12-28-2010, 01:46 AM
P.S. I couldn't find you guys for a few days...finally had an idea...I typed "hauling dirt out of my basement" into Google. :D

Well you're smarter than me, I never would have guessed that it'd be that unique to be at the top of the list. :confused: :D

I look forward to your tlb build, how many hyd functions are you hoping to incorporate?

Heavy Metal
12-29-2010, 06:30 PM
I look forward to your tlb build, how many hyd functions are you hoping to incorporate?

Joe- tlb? Track loader backhoe? I'm actually looking to build a wheeled loader backhoe. Ideally incorporating all hyd functions using an 8 channel remote and a Leimbach or comparable 6 channel switcher.
ch function
1 steering
2 fw/rev
3 loader boom
4 loader bucket
5 stabilizer L
6 stabilizer R
7 a/b switch
1b hoe l/r
2b hoe boom
3b hoe stick
4b hoe bucket
5b stablizer R
(not necessarily these exact channels...I forget which ch's are typically left and right stick...been awhile)

Ya...I know...it won't fit. We'll see.

Joe B

Lil Giants
12-29-2010, 09:00 PM
tlb = tractor loader backhoe

1/14th scale....? :confused:

1/8th scale very possible... maybe even 4wd too. ;)

Heavy Metal
12-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Joe - Taking that as a challenge! If I can make it work will you lease it from me for a year to help offset the expenses? (And no, definitely will not be 4wd).

Joe

Lil Giants
12-31-2010, 12:53 AM
What's your rates? :D