PDA

View Full Version : Scania my first build

Midtown
11-14-2015, 11:36 PM
Well today I was at a local hobby shop and couldn't tun down the deal. Looking forward to my first build! Please post any advise and tips. I plan to get the bearing kit before I start. Any other must haves?

Midtown
11-14-2015, 11:38 PM
Oh it's a 620

fvasileios
11-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Congrats on your purchase...enjoy your first build...
Once I did my first truck I always looking forward to my next...

Bill...

gismow
11-17-2015, 04:44 PM
Hi,

You should replace the standard motor. The motor is too fast.

In addition you must modify the front axle, it must be mounted in reverse, the track rod must be behind the axle, not in front of it. To do that you must build a new rod to not touch the gear box. Alternative you can lift the gear box at the front mounting points by placing a screw nut between the frame and the gear box holder.

After modifying that you can place the stear servo in the front next to the gear servo, as it is done in the us trucks.

Roundabout
11-18-2015, 11:34 AM
I think carson makes at steering rod to replace the original one

Roundabout
11-18-2015, 11:35 AM
well I know carson makes one

http://www.prices-model-trucks.co.uk/500013516-cranked-carson-steering-rod-tamiya-114-trucks-82-p.asp

Midtown
11-18-2015, 10:19 PM
So this is something that has to be done or injustice good idea?whats the bennifet?

ricm
11-19-2015, 08:58 PM
benefits are:

1) significantly improved steering lock which also has the correct geometry - ie. the inside wheel turns further than the outside wheel, so that it can follow a tighter radius when cornering. This is how it's done on Tamiya's USA style rigs. I think it was out of laziness or cost saving Tamiya didn't do this on the style trucks and put the track rod infront of the axle so steering doesn't work anything like as well; and

2) front mounted servo means fewer linkages and therefore significant reduction in steering 'slop'.

you need the bent track rod so that it clears the gearbox, especially when the suspension compresses. This is what I've done on my Scania:

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ricm2/IMG_2166.jpg (http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/ricm2/media/IMG_2166.jpg.html)

ricm
11-19-2015, 09:12 PM
forgot to say I agree that the top mods for you are:

1) slower motor - Carson 'Poison' is a very popular choice

2) bearings, you got them already - careful when you assemble the gearbox, there are a couple of bushes on the centre selector clutch ring (part J7) which you MUST NOT REPLACE with bearings. Keep the bushes, make sure you glue them FIRMLY in place into the clutch ring and be super careful not to get any glue onto the inner radius. I you don't glue these in firmly, they can easily slide out of place and then your selector forks will jam up. I have found that the Tamiya glues don't work well for this application (metal onto nylon). I use Araldite to be certain, the gearbox is a b*tch to remove from the truck for teardown if there is a problem after you've built it!

3) steering, as per above

Midtown
11-19-2015, 11:14 PM
Are the bent rods available in the U.S. Or Canada?

ricm
11-20-2015, 08:57 PM
I'm sure you can get Carson Modelsport parts in USA, but I found the Carson rod wasn't bent enough, it still hit the gearbox when the suspension was compressed , so I made my own. Easiest solution is to buy some stainless steel 3mm threaded rod from you hobby or DIY store, and bend it to shape.

JD Transport
01-02-2016, 05:07 PM
Are the bent rods available in the U.S. Or Canada?

Just bend it yourself. :D