PDA

View Full Version : Bruder 8x4 conversion(hopefully)

Sloan
12-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Hello all,
first off I would like to say hello to every one on this forum I'm new to rc equipment and I'm in dyer need of som help to get me started.
Basically I'm looking to convert the bruder merc 8x4 dump truck but don't have a clue what parts I need or where's the best place to purchase them. I'm guessing a motor gear box drive shafts diffs axles and wheels not to mention hyds for tipping mechanism if it is hyds, but how do u know all this stuff fits together not to mention how all this connects with the radio handset.
Sorry for not having a clue but I'd be really gratefull if someone could point me in the right direction.

Also I'm not sure if this post is in the right place so appoligies if it's not

oh and happy new year

regards
Steven

Espeefan
01-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi Steven. I think the easiest way to build what you want would be to use as many common, off the shelf parts that you can. Probably Tamiya components because they are readily available, although your truck is 1/16 scale and Tamiya's chassis and drivelines components are 1/14 scale. Still, I think it would work for you. I have seen other 1/16 scale cabs from Bruder mounted to Tamiya semi truck chassis's and it works well. If you are truly looking for a 1/16 scale chassis for the cab and dump box, you'll have to spend a lot more money, as the other option is to use Wedico components, as they are 1/16 scale, but then you might as well just build a Wedico truck.

Assuming you don't want to spend thousands of dollars building a Wedico truck, it may be a good idea to just buy an entire Tamiya truck, if only because you can use all of the chassis components and there would be less hunting for separate parts. Then you would only need another front steering axle, front suspension, front rims and tires, and some drag links to tie both front axles to your steering servo. You may want a longer set of chassis frame rails, and there are a couple different places you can get those. For hydraulics, check out www.gardentrucking.com or avoid the expense and make a screw drive to dump the box. There are some good threads on this forum covering screw drives. Try a search on that subject and see what comes up.

How do you know all this stuff fits together? Well, if you stick to all Tamiya components for the chassis and driveline, it should be a relatively easy bolt together project. Some things might have to be modified or scratchbuilt to fit, but if you are creative you can come up with some good and easy solutions. Building trucks like these are not always as simple as bolting things together, but it doesn't have to be super complex either. Once you get building, you'll be able to see how things go together, and from there, you'll figure out how to solve any issues of fitting things together that you might have. You can always ask for help on this forum too.

For operating the model, it's pretty simple. You have a radio and a receiver. The receiver goes inside the truck. The receiver sends signals to servos and speed controllers. Servos are small gearmotors that push or pull on linkages. They are the muscle that makes our models operate. They handle steering and shifting tasks. Speed controllers operate larger motors and control how fast or slow they go. Motors for the transmission. You just have to plug in your servos and speed controller to the receiver and make sure each one has it's own channel. Your radio tells them what to do. It might be a little more involved then that, but that's how it works in it's simplest form. If you buy a radio and servos, the manuals that come with them will explain everything in more detail, although it is not really that complex either!