PDA

View Full Version : What is a good method for applying decals/stickers?

JonBailey
02-13-2016, 01:50 AM
For instance, the Tamiya flatbed trailer comes with a sheet of stickers.

I would like to be able to put on my stickers neatly without creases or air bubbles. The stickers also have to be positioned in precise locations on the body without being cock-eyed.

JonBailey
02-13-2016, 02:14 AM
For instance, the Tamiya flatbed trailer comes with a sheet of stickers.

I would like to be able to put on my stickers neatly without creases or air bubbles. The stickers also have to be positioned in precise locations on the body without being cock-eyed.

This is where water-slide decals have an advantage. They can be moved on the surface slightly, air bubbles can be gently pressed out before they dry and set.

Cossett
02-13-2016, 02:53 AM
The tamiya stickers are just as good as vinyl ones and can be applied the same way if you google how to apply stickers and vinyl you will see how to apply them...............
And this topic was taked about a few weeks ago.............
Also another advantage of stickers is they dont yellow with age like some decals do............

Cossett
02-13-2016, 02:55 AM
The tamiya stickers are just as good as vinyl ones and can be applied the same way if you google how to apply stickers and vinyl you will see how to apply them...............
Also another advantage of stickers is they dont yellow with age like some decals do............

JonBailey
02-13-2016, 06:26 AM

Already tried Google. No dice. Only info on water-slide decals.

bigford
02-13-2016, 08:24 AM
usev windex as the water under your sticker and a credit card start in the middle and work
out to the sides soak up extra windex as you go.
that is from a 0.06 second search on google how to apply vinyl wraps

bigford
02-13-2016, 10:13 AM
http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w671/bigford550/google-ami_zpswcmt7g28.gif (http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/bigford550/media/google-ami_zpswcmt7g28.gif.html)

mcl fabrication
02-13-2016, 11:41 AM
There are plenty of videos on you tube about installing and removing stickers of all sorts. What you are looking for is a easy answers, but there are none. Even if you are told exactly what to do, you must still have hands on experience.
The bottom line is to try all that you have learned again and again until you get it right. This hobby is no different than learning to ride a bicycle.

Prop Shaft
02-13-2016, 05:45 PM
Apparently theres no need for this forum with google around....

At any rate, I can share a tip I learned years ago about getting decals positioned. After cutting out your decal, (if not precut). I like to fold back or cut off a small section of it. For instance if the decal is rectangular and say an inch long, Ill cut about a quarter inch off one side, position the decal where I want it, being carefull not to let the sticky part touch the model. When I happy with the position, Ill push down the exposed part of the sticker, then lift up the other side and peel off the rest of the backing. Then work the sticker down with your finger or credit card or whatever, away from the portion you first stuck down.

Ive also used windex to apply vinyl decals with great results. But not on toy trucks. Ive used this method on 1:1 vehicles with fantastic and long lasting results. Be VERY carefull using windex on model paints. I know windex will absolutely destroy Tamiya acrylic paint. **** I use it to clean my airbrush. GL

Prop Shaft
02-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Really? The word H e l l gets censored here....

bigford
02-13-2016, 05:50 PM
yup this is a family friendly forum.
because I know a lot of kids that can afford $7000.toys