PDA

View Full Version : About the Kenworth RC blues.

JonBailey
02-14-2016, 05:35 AM
I have heard here that Tamiya and other mass-produced RC model manufacturers don't offer kitted true-scale models based on real-world Kenworth trucks because of legalities.

What I don't understand is why there are so many Kenworth static models and toys out there?

There are Kenworth plastic static model kits by Revell and Monogram, for example.

There are plenty of die-cast Kenworth trucks as well.

How can Revell market the Kenworth name in a model kit but an RC company can't? :confused:

I have also noticed that no true-scale RC models in kitted form exist for on-road automobiles as well.
Try finding a stock street '57 Chevy or a classic Ford Fairlane convertible as a boxed RC scale model kit.

True-scale-model hobbyists for the most part are stuck with undriveable static models that gather dust on the shelf
or model electric trains if they want something completely out of the box that looks like the real deal.

JAMMER
02-14-2016, 09:13 AM
It is the Royalties that have to be paid to the companies for using name of the product you are scaling. Just like Cat some guys made models of Cat's and talked to Cat about it and Cat said not to use there name. Ed

JonBailey
02-14-2016, 11:34 AM
It is the Royalties that have to be paid to the companies for using name of the product you are scaling. Just like Cat some guys made models of Cat's and talked to Cat about it and Cat said not to use there name. Ed

Ok, so the companies sought to use their names might be partial. I guess they have the right to say NO to some and YES to others.

It might have something to do with product liability. Some guy might have an RC truck and run over some old lady's toy poodle with it and PACCAR might get sued if "KENWORTH" were to be on the hood of a scale tractor.

mcl fabrication
02-14-2016, 11:47 AM
When it gets to the point of static models I understand what you mean. The question then will be can the same licensing that is used to make a 1/28 scale truck (KW) be used to make the same truck in a larger scale 1/14.
It all boils down to supply and demand, There is not enough people in the America's that is into this particular hobby. Though it is growing fast but not fast enough for Tamiya or any other company to make a larger variety of American Themed semi trucks.
They are a corporation. The most important thing for them is quarterly earnings (basically make money). There's just not enough of us to be seen as profitable. Once Mini trucking in North and South America grows to a point in which sales rises to a all time high then they will see that there is a market for new model trucks.

up9018
02-14-2016, 06:01 PM
You need to accept the fact that if you want a ready to build kit from Tamiya it will be a European truck or a Freightliner Cascadia.

fhhhstix
02-14-2016, 07:30 PM
I have heard here that Tamiya and other mass-produced RC model manufacturers don't offer kitted true-scale models based on real-world Kenworth trucks because of legalities.

What I don't understand is why there are so many Kenworth static models and toys out there?

There are Kenworth plastic static model kits by Revell and Monogram, for example.

There are plenty of die-cast Kenworth trucks as well.

How can Revell market the Kenworth name in a model kit but an RC company can't? :confused:

I have also noticed that no true-scale RC models in kitted form exist for on-road automobiles as well.
Try finding a stock street '57 Chevy or a classic Ford Fairlane convertible as a boxed RC scale model kit.

You don't want to understand why you just want to complain about it but here is another explanation maybe you will get this one!:rolleyes:

1/24 model kit at $25 = you’re going to sell a lot it is in the price range for most to collect. Lower cost in molds, production and packaging

1/14 RC kit at $425 = smaller group that are potential buyers. Higher cost for molds more molds for the detail and higher packaging cost

1985 kenworth
02-15-2016, 01:08 AM
or a Ford Aeromax ..thats about the only other licensed american truck kit tamiya sells:p

janderson
02-18-2016, 11:40 AM
You don't want to understand why you just want to complain about it but here is another explanation maybe you will get this one!:rolleyes:

1/24 model kit at $25 = you’re going to sell a lot it is in the price range for most to collect. Lower cost in molds, production and packaging

1/14 RC kit at $425 = smaller group that are potential buyers. Higher cost for molds more molds for the detail and higher packaging cost

To expand on this we are a Plastic company so if we made tractor truck models they would be done 100% in house and that would keep costs down.

Since R/C tractors have very few plastic parts compared to all the metal used, that has to be farmed out and the cost goes up.

To sum it up, that is the way it is. If it was not that way this forum would have little reason to exist. This forum is here for all the members who love to raise the bar a little on what stock kit is. If it was not for these people traxxas would be making tractor trucks all RTR. Tamiya's goal has always been about building and fun. You can build it stock or mod it to whatever degree you want.

Lets carry on and start building! :)

TRUCKMAKER
02-18-2016, 12:34 PM
To expand on this we are a Plastic company so if we made tractor truck models they would be done 100% in house and that would keep costs down.

Since R/C tractors have very few plastic parts compared to all the metal used, that has to be farmed out and the cost goes up.

To sum it up, that is the way it is. If it was not that way this forum would have little reason to exist. This forum is here for all the members who love to raise the bar a little on what stock kit is. If it was not for these people traxxas would be making tractor trucks all RTR. Tamiya's goal has always been about building and fun. You can build it stock or mod it to whatever degree you want.

Lets carry on and start building! :)

Amen!

Mikem
02-18-2016, 02:42 PM
Second that

up9018
02-19-2016, 01:37 AM
I enjoy building he Tamiya kit and wouldn't buy it as RTR if they offered it for the same money. Tamiya stuff is well engineered and goes together superbly and to me, building it up is half the fun.

Tamiya has a great drive and suspension system, even if it's not quite true to life, it works well and has been proven over the years and is very robust. I would be highly disappointed if they changed that.

To be honest janderson, in my opinion there is only one thing you need to do and that is finish the job you started with the Grand Hauler. That truck was a great improvement over the King, but you left the same old body. If you guys simply made some minor changes (which I know aren't really minor) to that body you would have a killer truck. Take the headlights off the fenders and mount them to the grill, move the fenders and axle forward, get rid of the sunroof in the cab, delete the divots in the upper rear of the sleeper and bring the sleeper roof down. Don't worry if it is true Peterbilt, or KW, or Mack, or whatever. Make a body with those mods, put it in a Grand Hauler package and I think your truck kit would be out of this world. Plus, those changes are just plastic; and you wouldn't need to license it.

And before anybody says "you can buy a hood kit and ......."; that is not what I'm saying. It is my opinion of what I think Tamiya should do to make themselves a REALLY REALLY great kit. Cause nobody (well almost) truly expects them to make every truck under the sun.