PDA

View Full Version : dump trailer hookup

1985 kenworth
03-20-2016, 05:08 PM
Hello everyone i have a question .i bought a dump trailer with a screw drive motor and i want to hook it up to one om my trucks that has the mfu in it and it has the dx7 radio.i am currently only using 4 channels on the radio but was wondering if anybody could help out with some diagrams or advice how to set it up on a channel.i was told a 3 position channel would work for this.currently i have the dump motor plugged into a separate esc i bought for the trailer and it has its own bettery pack a nimh for this esc.i have an extension plug from this ecs to run under the trailer to be plugged into a channel on the truck receiver so i can lift and lower the box by a channel on the radio,also the esc for the trailer when i turn it on is flashing red ?

bigford
03-20-2016, 05:26 PM
Dwayne
my dump trailer is wired to its own esc so is the tarp. 3 esc's in the cab
the truck esc is the main one with all 3 wires plugged into rx the dump and
tarp esc have the red wire's pulled and taped. right knob on the dx9 dumps the bed
and a 3 way switch works the tarp. try a truck with out the mfu

1985 kenworth
03-20-2016, 05:50 PM
lol..i don't have a truck without a mfu unit in it ..

RCP57
03-20-2016, 06:48 PM
Could you not just split off your power leads and run a separate ESC for the dump removing the red wire on the servo plug as Mark mentioned? I don't have any experience with MFU stuff but that would eliminate it from anything related to the dump.

1985 kenworth
03-20-2016, 07:05 PM
i do have a separate esc for the trailer and it has its own power supply also a nimh battery but i need to put it on a 3 position switch on my dx7 and i have no idea how to program it and which switch to use .so i plugged it in one of the ports on the truck receiver in aux2 and there is a switch on the radio that is labelled aux2 and when i flip it .nothing happens and the esc is flashing red ..so i am not sure but it looks like i need to the esc to show a solid green light

RCP57
03-20-2016, 07:39 PM
i do have a separate esc for the trailer and it has its own power supply also a nimh battery but i need to put it on a 3 position switch on my dx7 and i have no idea how to program it and which switch to use .so i plugged it in one of the ports on the truck receiver in aux2 and there is a switch on the radio that is labelled aux2 and when i flip it .nothing happens and the esc is flashing red ..so i am not sure but it looks like i need to the esc to show a solid green light

Maybe try plugging a servo into the aux 2 port on the receiver and then try to figure out the tx programming. I'm just thinking this is a simple way to test forward and reverse rotation when you activate your 3pos switch. What you are doing should work correctly though.

bigford
03-20-2016, 08:10 PM
there is no channel assigning on this radio?? downdoad the manual
there is something about the aux2 setting. the dx9 is a lot easer to mess with

1985 kenworth
03-20-2016, 08:11 PM
i have the manual already..thanks i will try to figure it out myself

1985 kenworth
03-20-2016, 08:13 PM
Maybe try plugging a servo into the aux 2 port on the receiver and then try to figure out the tx programming. I'm just thinking this is a simple way to test forward and reverse rotation when you activate your 3pos switch. What you are doing should work correctly though.

i have tried it and there is nothing..the esc is flashing red ..i think it should be a solid green to take commands ..i have binded before for a truck but never a something separate like this rcp57

RCP57
03-20-2016, 08:37 PM
You've tried a servo eliminating the esc for now? If everything else is working there must be a setup issue with the TX. I don't have a DX7 but I do have several other DX?? radios. This should be an easy hookup for you so something simple is being overlooked.

bigford
03-20-2016, 08:52 PM
does the second esc need to be programed?? i use the hobbyking $10.00 esc plug and play
but my viper has to have its end points set

RCP57
03-20-2016, 08:57 PM
does the second esc need to be programed?? i use the hobbyking $10.00 esc plug and play
but my viper has to have its end points set

Kinda what I was wondering and why I suggested hooking up a servo to check that signal was there from the aux2 port.

Lil Giants
03-26-2016, 10:15 PM
Aux 2 is the dial pot. Aux 1 (flap/gyro) is the 3pos.

If your esc is flashing red, the forward/neutral/reverse endpoints need to be programmed.

1985 kenworth
03-27-2016, 01:38 AM
Aux 2 is the dial pot. Aux 1 (flap/gyro) is the 3pos.

If your esc is flashing red, the forward/neutral/reverse endpoints need to be programmed.

thanks ..ok so i activated the flap mix on my radio and set the end points on 0 to 100% and pos 1 is zero and pos 2 is 100% .removed the red wire from the ecs to the truck receiver so its getting power only from the battery pack on the trailer ..the esc flashes red but once i flick the swicth it goes solid red and the dump box goes up at a good pace and when i flip the switch back to 1 it stops ..and when i flip the switch to 2 it goes back down but very very slow...Now i have the down pos at -100% could that be why it goes down super slow ar because i am using a 7.2 v battery pack .This screw drive can run on either 12v or 7.2v ..would a 12v make it run faster and will it damage my receiver in my truck..i have a mfu in the truck ? thansk guys for all your help and suggestions btw :):):):)

Lil Giants
03-27-2016, 03:45 AM
What do you mean " i activated the flap mix on my radio"? No need to mix this channel with any other channel. Just plug the esc into the Aux1 port in the rx.

What esc are you using for the trl dump?

Pulling the red wire from the esc's rx plug is so you do not add more current to the rx than what the mfu's BEC is already supplying. So being the dump esc is powered separately from the trk, going to a 12v batt to power dump esc is not going to affect your trk's mfu. Is your dump esc capable of 12v? Yes, 12v will make screw motor go faster & give it more torque too.

The speed going up should be the same going down. If it's slower going down, then either your neutral point is not precisely centered, but rather favors towards the lift side. You did go through the correct procedure to program your esc, right? If so, you need to go to servo adjustment, then sub trim to adjust. Or go to travel & up the epa # (-125 or whatever) for down to make screw motor go faster.

egronvold
03-27-2016, 04:50 AM
Some ESC's have 50% power on reverse (or could be programmed to 50%). Check your manual to see if that's the issue.