PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating

Claus
01-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Anybody tried one of the do-it-yourself kits? Any luck? Don't know if it is but it looks easy.

http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-elite-powder-coat-kit.html

MACK Daddy
01-04-2011, 11:38 AM
If your just looking to do some simple parts such as fame rails and such, I would keep it simple and inexpensive with rattle cans

Alfy

9W Monighan
01-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Seeing the upfront cost it maybe easier to find a local guy who will do small runs. I have a guy here that does my steel window frames and I noticed he does little jobs too. One time he was redoing a pistol frame and slide for a gunsmith.

Bodyman
01-04-2011, 12:32 PM
i never tried one but would like to get one also. the reviews were most 5 stars.
and 200 bucks is not bad. claus, if you get one let me know how it is.
to bad you cant do plastic with it

Iron Art
01-04-2011, 12:41 PM
I started Powder coating with a Harbor Freight gun and switched to a Hypertherm from Coumbia Coating. You might check with them as to what is available now as I know they have introduced some new models that are priced a little less. The gun is the key, choose wisely and spend the money once. The importance of proper preparation cannot be over stressed, clean, oil and moisture free air is a must as it is in painting. A oil free nail gun compressor will work. I built a large oven for big items but once in a while I cure some small stuff in a household oven which would be a good place to start and wouldn't be expensive. If you check with Caswell, there is a forum there on PC as well as oven building. Caswell has equipment also. It is really rewarding to shoot the powder, stick it in the oven and 15/20 minutes later its done. Power coating is easy as long as you stay within the proper parameters, do overs are difficult. I'm sure that the Eastwood gun would be satisfactory for what you want to do. Fred