PDA

View Full Version : Whats Wrong with this GRU?

MACK Daddy
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I bought this from a member on here not knowing about the issue nor was I told

who is keen enough to see the problem?

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/ajmiskinis72/DSCF7089.jpg

Alfy

Brian in PA
01-06-2011, 10:15 PM
it looks like the set screw is out too far?

brian

ihbuilder
01-06-2011, 10:27 PM
yea what brian said also look like the pinion is to big . looking at 1 I have in my hand that's the only difference I see .

IHSteve

Claus
01-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Any threads in the mounting holes?

MACK Daddy
01-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Any threads in the mounting holes?

Bingo! Holes not threaded

Theres no way of mounting it unless I run a screw from the inside out and than attatching it to the tranny via a locknut

I am thinking thats the only way of doing it?

BTW, thats the set screw that was sent with the pinion from RC4WD... Go figure

Alfy

ihbuilder
01-06-2011, 10:46 PM
OH , I thought they're intention was to get a longer screw and bolt everything together at once :confused: The screw going through the GRU to the motor from the trans

IHSteve

CustomRCmodels
01-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Nothing wrong with it
That’s how these GRU’s are mounted : long enough screws to bolt motor and GRU to the transmission . Otherwise you would have to disassemble the GRU to mount the motor .
And the included pinion-gear goes on the motor-shaft , since upon depending which type you have here ( 2:1 , 3:1 , 4:1 ) the pinions are different sizes .
( I am assuming the pinion-gear you are showing in the photo came with that GRU )
And that the setscrew sticks out doesn’t matter , since that gear which this pinion runs against it is a very thin gear , means you have to do this very precise ( adjustment of the pinion gear on the motor shaft )

Espeefan
01-07-2011, 01:47 AM
I've got the same GRU and that's how mine looks too. Willy is correct about the way it should be mounted. The long screws pass through the transmission's motor mount plate, through the two open holes you think need threads, and then into the motor's face, which has the threaded holes to secure the whole assembly together. Nothing is wrong with the GRU at all, except that RC4WD counter sunk and chamfered the holes you think need threads, for no apparent reason. They could have easily just had the through holes be flush with the face of the GRU. I have no idea why they counter sunk them.

MACK Daddy
01-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Ahhhhhhhhh, Ok......I think i see what you mean

thanks guys, I thought my GRU had some type of machining issue

Actually that Pinion was put on by me..13T... the pinion it had come with is the one attatched to the motor on the other end.. isnt that the way it should be setup? never used a RC4WD 4:1 before

Alfy

Espeefan
01-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Alfy, you can put that pinion on either way, as long as the set-screw doesn't get in the way of the spur gear on the transmission. I usually see guys flip the pinion so that the set-screw is in the rear, torward the bearing of the shaft, but if the shaft is offset to far forward for the pinion gear to mesh properly with the spur gear, then no harm will be done by installing the pinion gear the way you have it. Just depends how long the GRU's shaft is, and how well the pinion gear lines up with the spur gear.

Stepside
01-07-2011, 01:02 PM
...Actually that Pinion was put on by me..13T...

I think I found your problem:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w28/hotrod075/DSCF7089.jpg

:D:D:D

fhhhstix
01-07-2011, 07:26 PM
It is just like the ones I have.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I guess you should have asked how it worked before you bashed the guy who sold it to you.

Travis

MACK Daddy
01-07-2011, 09:33 PM
It is just like the ones I have.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I guess you should have asked how it worked before you bashed the guy who sold it to you.

Travis

Bashed? Really? Don't know what your reading :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Alfy

fhhhstix
01-07-2011, 09:53 PM
I bought this from a member on here not knowing about the issue nor was I told

who is keen enough to see the problem?

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m411/ajmiskinis72/DSCF7089.jpg

Alfy

Not knowing about the issue nor was I told!!

There was nothing to tell nor was there any thing wrong with it it was brand new you just did not ask how it worked.

Travis

MACK Daddy
01-07-2011, 10:02 PM
I say again, Bashed? A bit sensitive aren't ya? I never used exclamation marks either in case you missed that part as well

Alfy

ihbuilder
01-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Alfy , before this turns into a frenzy , IMHO , this " I bought this from a member on here not knowing about the issue nor was I told " sounds like an accusation ,as dose the the title . If your intent was not to accuse then you could have used a better choice of words . Also ,if there was an issue did you contact the member in private 1st ? then maybe this would have been solved without anyone looking like an azz in public . If contacting the member was fruitless , then this would have been considered a gripe , and would have been moved to the , " get it out of your system section "

no offense ,

IHSteve

MACK Daddy
01-07-2011, 10:50 PM
no offense taken and I appreciate the input....I really don't thinking you are referring to me as looking like an "azz in public" right?

I didnt bothering contacting the member because to be honest with ya i have had this for quite some time and had forgotten from whom i got it from..So to call anyone out would be pointless, it was just a statement.

Not knowing this would get such a unecessary response, I was looking for a resolution to the issue not to call anyone out but apparently that's how it was taken..It was taken further than what it should have..I was just looking for some help...No reason for my initial comment to be taken as some type of finger pointing, those that know me would know this... Those that know me were funny enough to make fun of me and not see it as an accusation

Go figure :confused::mad::(
Alfy

Manfred
01-08-2011, 05:45 AM
I think, the screw at the gear is on the wrong site. The screw come at the next gear und stop it. Take it on the other site and it will be works.

Manfred

FreddyGearDrive
01-08-2011, 06:22 AM

Now that's pretty funny!:D:D
FGD

Roadmasters
01-08-2011, 09:26 AM

That wouldnt be 1 of those "Jeep Enthusiast", would it?

MACK Daddy
01-08-2011, 10:54 AM
laugh it up boys, I will be attending the march meet :rolleyes:;):cool::D

Alfy

Roadmasters
01-08-2011, 05:20 PM
laugh it up boys, I will be attending the march meet :rolleyes:;):cool::D

Alfy

in that muddy jeep?