PDA

View Full Version : radio input

woodhog
01-08-2011, 09:07 PM
i have seached out info about radios, but still few questions?are yall using one high end radio for construction and trucks or seperate ones. 2how are you driving tracks on a excavator ,with 2 ,3pos switches or what,how many channels does it actually take to run one? bucket,boom dig,boom lift,rotate(could this be done with 3pos switch),left track ,right track.6 channels or am i missin somin.just tryin to decide on one nice radio or if i would want to run a couple pieces of equip atn one time maybe need 2. thanks for any info ,also do like futaba 12ch but is it really that good for trucks and const:)

JAMMER
01-08-2011, 09:28 PM
I run a 10 channel Airctonics to run my excavator. Both sticks are self centering and there are 2 knobs on the side of the radio to run the tracks. Also have a 8 channel receiver for it to. This way I could run a truck off of the same transmitter. Ed

Lil Giants
01-09-2011, 01:23 AM
I like to use these radios click it (http://www.harbormodels.com/Harbormain/Templates/m20-radios2.htm) to run an excavator. You see the sliders between the sticks, with the mixes built into many dual esc's, one slider would control for/rev and the other slider is for turning lft/rht.

You could also use two dials for track movements, if that is what the radio has.

I wouldn't recommend 3 pos switches b/c you're either full on or off, it could make model movement a little harry when finese is essential, like driving onto a lowboy.

Six chs for the basics: boom, stick, bucket, swing on the stick controls, with tracks on other proportional chs. You might want another ch for a thumb? Or lights?

I think Servonaut has an electrical device where you can turn off signal to one model, then turn on another to use same radio. All constr models I have have their own radio, while five trks are tuned into the same two radios.

egronvold
01-09-2011, 03:55 AM
This is a very good radio: http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/radios-receivers/2-4-ghz-aircraft-radios-1/airtronics-sd-10g-10-ch-2-4g-tx-w-10-ch-rx-no-sx-sd10g.html

- 2.4 GHz
- 10 ch
- Switch between at least 10 models without turning them off
- Very affordable pricing compared to all the features you get

Espeefan
01-09-2011, 07:47 PM
- Switch between at least 10 models without turning them off

Hold on a second here. Yes, you can select a different model on the fly, from the radio's memory, but any receiver, in a model, left 'on', would still be receiving a signal. In effect, you'd be controlling more then one model at a time, but the programming of each model would have them all doing something different then expected (except for the one that is currently pulled up on the radio). I.E. servos may be reversed, on certain channels, end point adjustments would be off, ect. Just because you switch the current model, in the model memory, does not mean the other models will go into stand-by mode. If any receiver is bound to the tramsmitter, it will continue to do whatever the radio signal says it should.

fhhhstix
01-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Hold on a second here. Yes, you can select a different model on the fly, from the radio's memory, but any receiver, in a model, left 'on', would still be receiving a signal. In effect, you'd be controlling more then one model at a time, but the programming of each model would have them all doing something different then expected (except for the one that is currently pulled up on the radio). I.E. servos may be reversed, on certain channels, end point adjustments would be off, ect. Just because you switch the current model, in the model memory, does not mean the other models will go into stand-by mode. If any receiver is bound to the tramsmitter, it will continue to do whatever the radio signal says it should.

You are correct Nathan but there is a radio that will do that. The Spectrum radios have model match and only the model selected on the radio will accept input. I like this feature with my crawlers you can turn them all on and just switch between them and the others just sit there no glitching or movement what so ever.

Travis

Espeefan
01-09-2011, 09:20 PM
You are correct Nathan but there is a radio that will do that. The Spectrum radios have model match and only the model selected on the radio will accept input. I like this feature with my crawlers you can turn them all on and just switch between them and the others just sit there no glitching or movement what so ever.

Travis

Really? That's very handy then! Only Spektrum has this feature then?

woodhog
01-09-2011, 09:50 PM
thanks for the input guys on a radio like the airtronics how are you controlling track movement or on any radio for that matter .thanks for input:)

fhhhstix
01-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Nathan I don't know if any of the other radios do it but Spectrum built the model match in as a safety mainly for the airplanes and helies but they have the same thing in the surface radios.

Travis

egronvold
01-10-2011, 12:40 AM

The Sanwa has model match!

roadranger
01-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Sanwa? What's that?

JAMMER
01-10-2011, 05:15 PM
That is the manufacturer of Airtronics. Ed

carp
01-13-2011, 04:01 PM
I always thought model match was a spektrum only thing but its only really for aircraft to prevent stating up with the wrong model and crashing. Personally i have a futaba 8fg, i almost went for a 12fg and now wish i had really its a nice looking radio, the 8fg has 8 channels + 2 switches that makes up 10 :D havent yet rigged it up for any construction type stuff but i cant see it being a problem has plenty of switches/knobs/slider only thing is the left stick isnt sprung but thats because i fly helis/planes so it has to be like that. Id definatly go for 2.4 just for the bulletproof signal.

rc_farmer
01-14-2011, 04:55 PM
My girlfriend surprised me with my late Christmas present this wk, a 10ch Airtronics....she have heard me talking to Ed :D:D:D I love this thing. I think i kiss the radio twice and her once.....but she understands:D

I love this thing!!!

Espeefan
01-15-2011, 01:58 AM
LOL, Robert. I'm a Futaba guy and use a 12FG. It too is a very nice radio. Plenty of switches, knobs, and sliders that can be assigned to any channel you desire. I counted at least six 3 position switches, and for models like we run, these are a must. The more the better!

fuzzy
01-30-2011, 08:10 PM
woodhog i have an excavator and i use a polk tracker 3 it is spring loader to nutral on both sticks with nobbs to track it around. i got it from PMD