PDA

View Full Version : Airbrushing...?

elliot330
01-09-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm on the verge of ordering a dumper and excavator, just waiting for some prices and then will decide.

Question is, both models will require painting, I've tried using rattle cans before and never got a good finish.

I thought about airbrushing, but not idea whether airbrushes are designed to paint an entire model, or just for the fine detail - anybody help?

Thanks
Elliot

Dreamweaver
01-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Elliot you can paint anything you want with an air brush. Just get a bigger tip for it and you can do it just as fast as a rattle can but much better because you can control the air and paint flow.

If you have not already got an air brush then I would suggest the Paasche VL for a dual action or the Paasche H for single action. If you have never used one then you might want to play with it for a while before you paint your models.

You will also want to get a water separator/pressure regulator.

-Mike

elliot330
01-10-2011, 04:39 AM
Excellent, thanks for the feedback, I googled the airbrush and oddly enough, its even available in the Uk. £100 or $156.

Next daft question... what type of paint can be used? We have a bodyshop in the town I live I was hoping to ask them to mix me the correct colours once I have the paint codes, but again unsure if the airbrush can be used for car type paints?

Elliot

elliot330
01-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Brilliant - looks like I will be investing in a airbrush kit. Ordered the dumper kit yesterday and want to paint it the same as this one..

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz152/elliot330/Bell%2050%20Dumper/bell3.jpg

JAMMER
01-11-2011, 04:25 PM
I don't know why you don't get a touch up paint gun, a gravity feed there cheaper than that Paasche VL and they do a excellent job and you are not all day doing it. Go to a auto paint store and get some small mixing cups with the measure on the sides then you can mix according to the MFG specs. I use automotive acrylic paints with a hardener in it. I just pick the paint and get what I need to mix it it all on the can or ask the person behind the counter they will help you out. You only need a pint of paint, hardener and some thinner. On the thinner ask the person at the counter what thinner to use because it all depends on the temp you are going to paint in and humidity and drying time. If you go to Tower Hobbies they have model paint guns and air brushes. Ed