PDA

View Full Version : Cable machines, what is your rigging?

frizzen
11-28-2016, 08:45 PM
I like watching the Cable Machines since there's more 'stuff' going on all over the machine than you have with hydraulic machines.

So what are you guys running through the reeving on yours?

I'm playing around with some 65 pound 'spiderwire' fishing line. It looks pretty good, great abrasion resistance, but seems thin. It gets a fair amount of springback around bends without tension. Available in brown or green.

Then i thought about it and got a chunk of 550 paracord (mil-c-5040 type 3 cord). Made of Nylon, the inner strands are rated at 70 pounds. Thicker but will take a tighter bend radius without as much springback. Should be able to dye if I really want something other than white.

I've seen people on that auction site selling cord that looks like what's used in blinds to restring toy cranes.

----

I'm using the inner strands of Mil-c-5040 T3, Paracord for cable on my Dragline Crane. I cut a very long chunk, then working in stages slid the kernmantle off the inners, seperated, and put on spools to use.

Mustang46555 also used it on his Crackerbox Wrecker, and discovered it can be dyed using a wash of black india ink thinned out with alchohol.