PDA

View Full Version : Paint to use.

540-MAN
01-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Hi i'm not sure whether this is some where else on the forum but i'm getting my truck at the end of the week and i was just wondering what paint do i use for the chassis and cab on my truck as i can get it when i pick it up?? Would i have to prime it first?? Also once it's painted can i put a clear coat on the cab??

It would be a big help if somebody could give me some pointers.

Kid@heart
01-15-2011, 04:15 PM
I used Tamiya spray paints and had good sucess. I didn't use primer right off the bat, but I would suggest you use it. It's less expensive than the coloured stuff and you will find yourself using many more coats of colour especially on the black plastic.

I also used a pearl clear coat on my truck and was really happy with it. The blue worked really well, and the gold that I used was much more tempermental (both from the spray can and the brushed stuff).

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to help... Here's the link to my truck...

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=1187

Roadmasters
01-15-2011, 05:10 PM
automotive spray paints

ihbuilder
01-15-2011, 06:02 PM
IMHO , hobby paint s#$ks and rattle's are the worst . I go to the auto paint supply and have them mix the color for me ( supposedly they will put your mix in a rattle can ). when I'm ready to paint I put my own desired reducer for the temp and the right measure of catalyst and spray with my hvlp . sorry I got use to the hvlp and it's hard to go back

mtdriver
01-15-2011, 06:33 PM
If you are going the spray can method, doesnt matter the brand, one of the best tips I can give is to warm up the can. Let it sit in a cup of hot water for 5 mins or so, especially on darker colors or metallics. IMO, it helps thin it out and spray smoother.

I like using Tamiya myself, but Testors/ModelMaster work too. Patience is always key, going slow with light coats and a clean work surface.