PDA

View Full Version : bending aluminum or copper tubing

neil burritt
01-03-2017, 06:10 PM
how do u bend copper or aluminum tubing without it kinking ive tried all kinds of benders except I might try a brake line bender next

TRUCKMAKER
01-03-2017, 06:38 PM
There is a method where you fill the tubing with sand an seal off the ends, then slowly bend the tube. The sand keeps the tubes shape so it doesn't kink. I'd try it on some scrap tube to see how tight a bed you can get. You can get bagged sand at any building materials stores.

sparkycuda
01-03-2017, 06:58 PM
If the tube is not too large, I've melted lead into it, then reheated and removed (most of it) afterward. Check on safety precautions needed for melting and handling lead. Also, for really small tubing, I've put brass wire inside or just used rod.

Ken

9W Monighan
01-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Try this metal for filling a tube to bend. It melts at 158 deg F Cerrobend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6barni9f7c

I've used it for numerous things over the years.

neil burritt
01-04-2017, 10:46 AM
thank you ive also broke some benders ive used

9W Monighan
01-04-2017, 11:08 AM
I forgot to mention when using the Cerro alloy; You could encapsulate the entire part you are bending into a solid bar and position your tube or shape outside of the neutral axis of the bar. This would make the part stretch rather than compress eliminating kinks. You would be limited on the inside radii though for really tight bends.

scottyk
01-04-2017, 01:24 PM
What dia and wall thickness are you trying to bend?

With copper tubing you can anneal it first which makes it much more flexible and easier to work with. I build model steam engines and when I am bending the copper tubing for plumbing certain part "usually 1/4" or less OD" I simply take a aluminum rod slightly larger than the radius I want bent, and machine a slot into it the same width as the diameter of the tube, heat the tube to a dull red color with propane torch "annealing it" then let it cool and put it in the slot and bend it.

I have always annealed copper before trying to shape it, its amazing how much easier it is to work with.