PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Fever

JAMMER
01-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Went to Cabin Fever and found out how good the 1/12 scale Vario John Deere excavator I got was, I blew the top cylinder after about 15 minutes of running it. It was digging real good and then oil went every were from the top cylinder it blew apart were the top is soldered to the cylinder. O well back to the drawing board. Ed

carp
01-16-2011, 02:25 PM
thats a shame mate, did you get any pics of it?

ihbuilder
01-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Ed what is with this bad luck you been having :eek: that just totally stinks

IHSteve

JAMMER
01-16-2011, 03:07 PM
carp thanks a lot. Steve I told you if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any. When it was running it could do some digging but I looked at it and Steve from Pittsburgh with the walking dragline looked at it and the soldering wasn't to good. I'll take the cylinder all off, strip the paint and silver solder it with 50 % silver solder. Have to do the front cap and the line that feeds the oil to the top of the cylinder. At least all was not lost I got to run Scott Mack while he ran this Unit drag line he is getting real good with is as long as he don,t try to talk while he is operating it I am going to have to get him a muzzle. All kidding aside he is good with it. Ed

SmallHaul
01-16-2011, 06:15 PM
"At least all was not lost I got to run Scott Mack while he ran this Unit drag line he is getting real good with is as long as he don,t try to talk while he is operating it I am going to have to get him a muzzle"

:D:D:):)

So true!! It was funny every time someone would come over and ask a bunch of questions about how the equipment was made I would get out of rhythm with the dragline and dump dirt all over the hood and cab protector on the Mack and Ed would yell "Hey, hey!!! easy on my truck!!! " the spectators were laughing so hard at Ed & I bickering back and forth like 2 guys on a real site, it was a blast:p

I am sorry that you had problems with your excavator ED but, I am glad you waited until after you get back home to patiently fix it right. Glad you made it to the show!

SmallHaul
01-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Ohh...I forgot to say, you guys should see Eds machine in person:eek: It is awesome!

It is amazing how much power it has and it looks fantastic.

JAMMER
01-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks a lot Scott you really made the weekend I had a lot of fun. Thank you for letting me run your Mack I really enjoyed it even though you keep getting my my cab all dirty. Ed ;);)

Lil Giants
01-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Ole, Kalle & now Ed have all had at least one bad solder joint on a cyl. :confused:

What was your pressure set to Ed?

I think I will wait to paint my cyls, punish them for awhile to see if the soldered joints will hold up. I usually like to paint before hand b/c it's very messy to disassemble the hyd system afterward. But oh well, it'll maybe be easier to spot the leaks before a blown joint soaks the entire model!

RCLogger
01-17-2011, 12:40 AM
To bad about the cylinders Ed. I am sure you will get all the bugs worked out soon, it is built to last.
On the up side, it sounds like the show was a blast....

greg

JAMMER
01-17-2011, 07:11 AM
Greg the show was great had a lot of fun thanks to Small Haul he let me run his Mack. I tried the dragline to. Joe 30 bars it ran for a few minutes and when it did it worked great. It has a lot of power now if I can keep it together. I guess I took away your thunder with the testing this time I found the weak spot. Ed

elliot330
01-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Man thats a shame - 30 bar seems high? But I guess its designed to run at this pressure.

Have you spoke to Vario, can't you ask them to build, test, paint and ship you one - quickly. I know Vario like to look after there customers.

Elliot

JAMMER
01-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Elliot I spoke to Frank this morning and he said to ship it back and they would fix it. I told him I would silver solder it myself. Frank said if I needed any seals or o rings to let him know and they would send them. I did not get any excuses from him and that was a pleasant surprise to me usually companies try to make excuses and say it your fault, but none of that. By the way welcome a board. Ed

elliot330
01-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Thats good news. At least you can get it back up and running quickly.

After speaking to Frank over the past few weeks, its one of the reasons I ordered his dumper, I have yet to hear a bad word about his customer service. Fair enough, faults will occur, but its how they are dealt with is the important bit.

Did anybody manage to shoot any video before the cylinder blew?

Elliot

JAMMER
01-17-2011, 10:06 AM
No the only video is what I posted before. Ed

Stuff
01-17-2011, 05:13 PM
glad to know he will make it right.