PDA

View Full Version : Excavator/crane radio setup?

SmallHaul
01-23-2011, 08:28 AM
I know this has been discussed before but, how do you guys run and excavator on a 2 stick radio? It would be nice on my crane to flip a switch and have the same stick run the drive/steer and then rotate/ boom switched the other way.

Lil Giants
01-24-2011, 02:51 AM
Leimbach has this 2x 6ch device that'll allow you do that Scott. But then you can't "walk" up a steep hill using the arm with the tracks. Using a radio with proportional sliders between the sticks is ideal.

http://www.leimbach-modellbau.de/Images/img124.jpg

First ever lifesize excav I ran was a 40mt Hitachi, which was at the same time I was building my first model excav, so I set my tx sticks the same way.

lft stk up/dwn = boom
across= swing
rht stk up/dwn = stick
across = bucket

Caterpillar is some other goofy way like S/S B/B or vice versa.

SmallHaul
01-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Leimbach has this 2x 6ch device that'll allow you do that Scott. But then you can't "walk" up a steep hill using the arm with the tracks. Using a radio with proportional sliders between the sticks is ideal.

http://www.nleimbach-modellbau.de/Images/img124.jpg

I could leave the right stick out of the harness and I would only have to flip the switch temporarily if I need to rotate the boom while driving. Where is the best place to buy this?

lft stk up/dwn = boom
across= swing
rht stk up/dwn = stick
across = bucket

This is how I have mine setup as well.

SmallHaul
01-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Actually the more I think about it, I could just have a servo activated switch setup as a "Y" to just the servo ground wires and use my 5th channel to select which servos have power when I need them. That way I could run the boom, rotate, drive & steer all from the left stick. I am thinking I might need the bucket to help pull me up hills.:)

Jared
01-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Actually the more I think about it, I could just have a servo activated switch setup as a "Y" to just the servo ground wires and use my 5th channel to select which servos have power when I need them. That way I could run the boom, rotate, drive & steer all from the left stick. I am thinking I might need the bucket to help pull me up hills.:)

Sounds like a good idea to me. I've been racking my brain on this one for a while, too. I was thinking the easiest/cheapest way might be to just get another 2 channel radio for the undercarriage but I like your idea much better. I think I'll rip it off if and when I build mine.;)

Most crane/draglines don't have independent swing and travel so you wouldn't be losing anything as far as realism goes. On the other hand, it would drive me nuts to have to run a 1:1 excavator without being able to travel and use all the other functions at the same time.

How are you planning to drive the tracks? My idea was to bury servos inside the carbody under the swing circle with sprockets on them sticking out either side and running chains back to the drive tumblers.

SmallHaul
01-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. I've been racking my brain on this one for a while, too. I was thinking the easiest/cheapest way might be to just get another 2 channel radio for the undercarriage but I like your idea much better. I think I'll rip it off if and when I build mine.;)

Most crane/draglines don't have independent swing and travel so you wouldn't be losing anything as far as realism goes. On the other hand, it would drive me nuts to have to run a 1:1 excavator without being able to travel and use all the other functions at the same time.

How are you planning to drive the tracks? My idea was to bury servos inside the carbody under the swing circle with sprockets on them sticking out either side and running chains back to the drive tumblers.

When I get more parts in I'll decide on the drive source. I am thinking either small 200:1 (or more) all metal geared motors or a metal geared servo for each track.

SmallHaul
01-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Using a radio with proportional sliders between the sticks is ideal

Joe, are there any 2.4 ghz radios that have this?

Lil Giants
01-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Don't know.

Espeefan
01-26-2011, 02:02 AM
Joe, are there any 2.4 ghz radios that have this?

Scott, I have a Futaba 12FG, and while it does not have sliders in the center of the radio, near the main sticks, it does have a set of sliders along the sides of the radio, where you can easily move them with your thumbs, or index fingers from below. The sliders actually pivot at a central point (kind of like a knob, but they are more like double ended short sticks), and that is why your index fingers can adjust them from below, or your thumbs from above. Hard to explain, but they are comfortable to operated, and you can assign them to any channel you like using the programming features. They aren't self-centering, but they do have a neutral point. This radio is also 2.4 giga-hertz out of the box. Might be worth looking into. If you would like some pictures, I could get you some, to help you better understand those adjustable sliders/sticks.

SmallHaul
01-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks Nathan, I have a JR X9303 and just realized it has sliders on both sides, lol.:o But, I do not want to use my Heli radio to run construction equipment because the radio gets very dirty. It seems like it would be hard to find neutral using sliders and you might end up burning up a motor by leaving it on slightly for hours while digging? I did some searching and there are quite a few radios that have dual sliders. I just need to find the least expensive 2.4 ghz radio that has dual sliders. So far the least expensive one I have found is the Hitec Optic 6.
Another option would be a radio with two 3 position switches (X9303 has this) to run the tracks because they would run so slow that switching them on and off would probably be fine.

steamer
01-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Scott. I don't know if your interested or not but this is what I'm going to use on future excavator build
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff436/steamer2/Remote003.jpg
It's a four channel remote used for door locks and trunks for full sized autos.
There are four latching relays that will give you tracks forward and reverse both sides and you wouldn't to run wires to the car body. It says 12 volts and I just tried it and it works on 7.2 if you need to. Card size is 4 1/2 x 3x 3/4 thick. I bought them up here for $20.00 a unit.
Rob

Espeefan
01-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Scott, finding neutral can be tricky on sliders, but I do know my radio sounds off an audible beep when I get the sliders there. I wouldn't be surprised if other radios also have this feature. You certainly can't miss with a three position switch. At the slow speeds the tracks will run at, I doubt you will have any problems keeping the model running smooth.

SmallHaul
01-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Scott. I don't know if your interested or not but this is what I'm going to use on future excavator build
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff436/steamer2/Remote003.jpg
It's a four channel remote used for door locks and trunks for full sized autos.
There are four latching relays that will give you tracks forward and reverse both sides and you wouldn't to run wires to the car body. It says 12 volts and I just tried it and it works on 7.2 if you need to. Card size is 4 1/2 x 3x 3/4 thick. I bought them up here for $20.00 a unit.
Rob

Hopefully it will work for you but, placing a non digital (2.4ghz) receiver under an all metal vehicle will probably cause some interference and glitches.

Scott, finding neutral can be tricky on sliders, but I do know my radio sounds off an audible beep when I get the sliders there. I wouldn't be surprised if other radios also have this feature. You certainly can't miss with a three position switch. At the slow speeds the tracks will run at, I doubt you will have any problems keeping the model running smooth.

Hmm....I guess it would be ok if they beeped at neutral. After I get the drive built I'll have to experiment.

I just got the Doepke crane today and the guy just folded/pivoted the boom in half and placed it in a large box with paper packing around it. So...the center area of the boom is completely crushed beyond repair.:(
The seller has good feedback so, hopefully they will make good on it.