PDA

View Full Version : tamiya esc

f350guy
01-23-2011, 02:11 PM
What's the best esc for a tamiya truck ? HELP?

hitachi
01-23-2011, 02:35 PM
I use the somewhat expensive servonaut electronics they are purpose built for RC trucks.
thet give great control and its possible to add sound and light modules in the future;)

Espeefan
01-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Instead of telling you what the best is, I'll just say buy the best that you can afford. We have no idea what your budget is, and that may play a very strong role in what ESCs you can consider.

Electronics should be viewed as an investment for these models. In other words, it pays to buy something better then average, as you can always re-use electronics and radio gear in new models, if you decide to sell one of the old models. I always keep my ESCs and radio gear. They are universal and required for each new model you might purchase in the future, so buy something good that will outlive your models or RC interests.

That said, what is your budget, and do you want something basic, or something with some bells and whistles? Servonaut is considered top notch, but you can also consider the Tamiya MFU, if you want some sound and light effects. Otherwise, if you just want a no frills ESC, consider Tekin or Novak. Beyond that, you can start looking at the cheaper options, like those from Traxxas, Tamiya, and others.

rc_farmer
01-23-2011, 09:09 PM
If you are just going for fwd/rev action, Castle Creation 1/10 Sidewinder is a very good meduim budget ESC. It's better than average but not as expensive as some of yer high-end ECS.

jjackso5
04-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Do you have a source for the "servonaut" unit? Do you have a listing of the functions available on this unit? I'm just looking for alternatives to the Tamiya MFU, and the pro/con associated with these alternate units.

Thank you,

Jim

SonoranWraith
04-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Do you have a source for the "servonaut" unit? Do you have a listing of the functions available on this unit? I'm just looking for alternatives to the Tamiya MFU, and the pro/con associated with these alternate units.

Thank you,

Jim

Servonaut you'd want a M20+ or a S20 for ESC. The M20+ has lighting included onboard that you have to buy the ML4 to get with the S20. It also has cruise control which is not usual for ESCs over here. I have the S20 and have been very happy with it. It costs about $150. I do not like the whine of ESC PWM and at 16kHz the S20 is silent. I also have the SMX sound unit and I will do a write up on here of it later this summer when I get around to installing it. The SMX is about $275 so with all the stuff together the Servonaut option is not cheaper.

jjackso5
04-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Thank you for the response. I'll be looking forward to the review/write-up later this summer. Where did you get them from? Web-site source?

Cost wise it sounds as though a "full function" system is going to be in the same arena as the Tamiya MFU, so it comes down to perfromance, options, and preference?

Thank you,

Jim