PDA

View Full Version : 4 conductor (or more) Slip Ring options

SmallHaul
01-24-2011, 08:24 AM
What are our 4 conductor or more slip ring options?

These look nice but, they can only handle 2a per circuit. I would prefer 5a per circuit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KYM06A-Slip-Ring-6-wires-2-amps-240VAC-DC-/270558852593?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3efe9075f1

9W Monighan
01-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Scott, did you go over and see the gears, bearings and slip ring last week I told you about? As usual I forgot to go back and check that table before they packed up. I think Tom bought one of those Chinese slip rings you linked.

SmallHaul
01-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Scott, did you go over and see the gears, bearings and slip ring last week I told you about? As usual I forgot to go back and check that table before they packed up. I think Tom bought one of those Chinese slip rings you linked.

I saw the bearings but, I didn't see the slip rings.:o

JAMMER
01-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Why don't you make one your self the only thing it does stop the wires from twisting. Get a tube solder it to the base run your wires through it to the top . let the cab spin around, it make the hole bigger than the tube so it will spin with out turning tube or the wires. Ed

SmallHaul
01-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Why don't you make one your self the only thing it does stop the wires from twisting. Get a tube solder it to the base run your wires through it to the top . let the cab spin around, it make the hole bigger than the tube so it will spin with out turning tube or the wires. Ed

I want continuous rotation and that requires contacts/sweepers for each conductive wire. If you just had a wire through a tube you would have to remember how many times you went one way or you would eventually get it wound up too many times one way.

modelman
01-24-2011, 12:29 PM
SmallHaul-most of the slip rings on E-bay are going to be 2-amps because the wires are "super tiny" and that is all they can handle. Here is a place you can get about any kind of ring you want but they are "very pricey"!
http://www.moog.com/products/slip-rings/commercial-industrial-slip-rings/slip-rings-with-through-bores/ .
This is just the thru-bores. You can look and see what you need.
They are in Blacksburg VA.

9W Monighan
01-24-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm using the model 4598 6 10amp conductor on my dragline. It's way over kill since I'm drawing no more than 1a-2a for my whole machine. That may change when I add some lighting.
The slip ring you missed was under the guys table in a box but wasn't priced when I looked at it. It had about 24 conductors probably 1a each. I would try one of those cheapo ones and see what they can handle.

modelman
01-24-2011, 03:03 PM
SmallHaul-I don't know how many circuits you need but if you go with the cheaper ones you could wrap-2-wires together and get 4-amps. that way. That should work for a small model.