PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Ram

Greg
12-21-2017, 02:01 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum so still finding my way around and hope this is in the right section.

Please would anyone on here be able to share their experiences with R/C Hydraulics as I have never used them but need to use a hydraulic Ram in my current project.
The question I have is how powerful are the Rams...I'm looking at the 'Scaleart' Ram : https://scaleart-shop.de/en/Hydraulic-Parts/Telescope-Cylinder/Telescope-cylinder-long-version-for-halfpipe.html

....it had the reach I need but not sure if it will be strong enough for my project.
I did ask Scaleart for spec but the just told me to refer to their website, so just wondered if anyone has had experience of this ram?
Thank you,
All the best
Greg

skeeter
12-21-2017, 02:34 PM
Wish I could offer some advise, but I've not used them. I have been eyeing them, as I would like to use one on a future dump truck build. I'll be anxiously awaiting response(s) from someone that has used the product.

Greg
12-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Hi Skeeter,
Me too,
A few friends of mine have excavators etc with hydraulics but usually they're pre-assembled vehicles so they can't give any further advice.
The small rams do seem quite powerful though.

I'm not actually using it for a vehicle as such, I build Fairground Rides and my current project involves the main Ride arm lifting from horizontal to near vertical.
Working in 1/16 scale, the model is quite large and weighty...this is my concern ��

skeeter
12-21-2017, 03:12 PM
Sounds like an awesome project. Will you be doing a build thread for this project? I'd like to drool over this build as we watch it come together.

Greg
12-21-2017, 03:46 PM
If it's of interest, of course...I can once I get a little bit further on as at the moment it's not much to look at......also being as it won't be a vehicle....is there a section to post it in?
I have already built a Waltzer...which has an eight-wheeler Volvo F-12 as the transport.
I need to find my way round this forum ��

ditchdigger
12-21-2017, 08:59 PM
Rough calculation, the 1st stage would push 138# @250psi, which SA's mini pump is more than capable producing.

This forum would be applicable for your carnival ride build thread.
http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Greg
12-22-2017, 04:34 AM
Thank you ditchdigger,
Excuse my ignorance but what unit of measurement does the 138 refer to
I will have a look into posting something on there at some stage too
All the best
Greg

frizzen
12-22-2017, 06:51 AM
I believe he's saying it will move 138 pounds an 250 psi hydraulic pressure. Uh something like 62 kg at 17 bar.

Can't wait to see the carnival rides, or the Carnie Trucks that haul them!
--
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltzer that sounds really cool.

Greg
12-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Thank you, I didn't think it would be that powerful ...but the same time thought it couldn't of referred to something as small as 138 grams.
Well that certainly sounds as if it's going to be able to lift my rides arm.
Thank you both for your replies

Ken Orme
12-22-2017, 11:40 AM
Greg;

Could you use the mechanism idea like they use to tilt the bed on 1-14 scale dump trucks? The power is electric. It would have the push you need.

It would be a lot cheaper (you could laugh all the way to the bank.) and no mess

Ken O

Greg
12-22-2017, 12:16 PM
Hi Ken,
I must admit I'm not familiar with which mechanism is used on those models.
A lot of people that make 'lifting' rides do use studding/ threaded bar that is rotated by a motor and then a threaded collar,(attached to the lifting arm).. runs up and down the thread...a little like a car jack, if you know what I mean....a bit hard to explain. Maybe it's the same idea you mention :)
All the best
Greg

Ken Orme
12-22-2017, 01:17 PM
Greg;

It is the same idea.

Ken O

Greg
12-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Yes, that will be the method if the hydraulic option doesn't work but I really want to make it as authentic as possible :)

frizzen
12-23-2017, 03:37 AM
The machine you referenced is called a 'Jackscrew mechanism'. You can use all-thread and nuts, or the nicer version uses Acme rod with Acme nuts.

Also a forum sponsor Actuonix makes several plug and play linear actuators, that can be run as either a linear servo that self centers or an actuator that holds position. It would be cheaper than hydro. They even have built in micro switches at travel limit.

Rvjimd
12-26-2017, 07:52 AM
Greg,

Here is a link to my dump truck video. I used a small motor to turn the threaded rod which turns inside a section of delrin that I threaded to match the rod.

https://youtu.be/b-pTdpjsn_M

Jim

Greg
12-26-2017, 10:46 AM
The machine you referenced is called a 'Jackscrew mechanism'. You can use all-thread and nuts, or the nicer version uses Acme rod with Acme nuts.

Also a forum sponsor Actuonix makes several plug and play linear actuators, that can be run as either a linear servo that self centers or an actuator that holds position. It would be cheaper than hydro. They even have built in micro switches at travel limit.

Hi frizzen, thank you :-)
That's handy to know as I did look into some linear actuators some time back but at the time couldn't source one the right spec...I'll have to have a look at those if the hydraulic method doesn't work out.
All the best,
Greg :)

Greg
12-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Greg,

Here is a link to my dump truck video. I used a small motor to turn the threaded rod which turns inside a section of delrin that I threaded to match the rod.

https://youtu.be/b-pTdpjsn_M

Jim

Hi Jim,
Thank you for the link, your dump truck looks great !....and yes another option to think about for lifting my ride:)
All the best
Greg