PDA

View Full Version : Winch set up?

jearbear0927
01-27-2018, 11:03 PM
I was wondering how to go about wiring up a gear motor to work as a servo to be able to plug into receiver? planning on running a multiple winch set up and have never done anything of the sort. much appreciated, thanks in advance.

skeeter
01-27-2018, 11:55 PM
Your bestest simplest option would be to run it off from an ESC

jearbear0927
01-28-2018, 12:16 AM
a seperate esc? if so, how many (gear motors) could i run off of it? and what would i use to or for a junction box (receiver)? also when looking at mini gear motors/gear reduction unit, how is their power/pull rated. I am full of questions and google is not much help. Sorry for the overload of questions I am just very eager to get it figured out. thnx in advance.

skeeter
01-28-2018, 01:21 AM
I've ran up to 4 gear motors on a single ESC unit. They were drive motors. 2 were wire correctly, while the other 2 were reversed polarity. That gave me the ability to have 4 wheel drive, & each wheel had it's own motor.

You'd need a radio with at least 3 channels, one fir steering, another for fwd/rev, and the third to operate the auxiliary motor you're talking about.

jearbear0927
01-28-2018, 01:54 AM
I am looking at a 6v high torque reduction motor that brakes when poqered off. it states can change direction through wiring but I assume can be done with some type of controler?

jearbear0927
01-28-2018, 02:22 AM
I already have my motor set up for the truck. I am wanting to have a 3 winch system on the bed of it. 2 above the bed and one beneath between the frame. and then run another out the front of the truck so total of 4. I need the the gear motors to operate as if they were servos.sorry I meant motor controller? I have a 10 channel remote for the build..

jearbear0927
01-29-2018, 10:47 AM
anything/anybody? I knows there's some Pro-Fessionals here lol.

skeeter
01-29-2018, 12:34 PM
If you want them to all run independently, you'll need a separate esc for each motor. An option would be to get dual speed controllers, such as the Sabertooth dual ESC, that are capable of running two motors independently.

egronvold
01-29-2018, 01:00 PM
Look at the CTI Thor 15 speed controllers. They are small and easy to place.

jearbear0927
01-29-2018, 05:27 PM
thnx again. im tottaly new to all this. in my mind i was going to be able to wire up the small gear motors into the servo channels. and run them just as if they were servos because thats what a servo is "a small gear motor". with some type of tweeking that is.

frizzen
01-29-2018, 06:25 PM
Are you wanting proportional control, or just single speed?

If you're using servos you're converting, you can hack the board to use it as an esc. it'll often want to drift some and not have a wide deadband. It'll cost some solder, resistors, and time fiddling with finding neutral.

You can get 'winch controllers' from places like heyok, they won't drift but most run single speed. If it's on a switch, these are great.

If you want to control line speed, I would try to go with individual 10-20amp reversing esc, probably just the cheapest ones i could find. If it's on a stick or a pot, these are great.

jearbear0927
01-30-2018, 09:29 AM
single speed. and Im wanting to use a couple of motors I found on ebay that make a 90° at the shaft. no clue on wiring process. I thought I could just switch wires and plug it in a channel. thats why im asking because I have no clue. but thats what I want to do. I want to use a couple gear reduction Motors that I found on eBay and wire them into a couple of channels to run off of my remote. That's what I need to know how to do. I truly appreciate the input and time. thnx again

frizzen
01-30-2018, 04:27 PM
Here are some suggestions to consider. I have no connection to these companies other than running some type of HeyOk 3-pos winch control in my 1/10 scale SCX10 cherokee, and it has no creep and pulls hard.

For single speed, on a 3 pos switch, that won't creep. These are great.
https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hey3pwjst.htm

For single speed, on a 2 pos switch, that won't creep. (It toggles off, in, off, out, off, in...)
https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hey2pwjst.htm

Single speed, 3 pos switch, 4 amps of pulling, won't creep, for badass servo winches
http://www.lockeduprc.com/HeyOK-4amp-Winch-Controller-3pos-_p_532.html

Variable speed, 3 pos switch or stick, 10 amps, a reversable brushed esc, not a huge deadband but might program, way cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypower-Brushed-Motor-Speed-Controller/dp/B00DU49XL0

My dragline runs the original, but hacked, boards from the hitec hs-645mg servos that i converted to continious rotation. The servo was rated for 2.5 amps stalled, but have a tight deadband so setup is a pain to avoid creep. Free with servo, upgradable to better options when one smokes. These are variable speed, which is really nice when digging

jearbear0927
01-31-2018, 12:45 PM
thanks alot man. thats def an answer to what im trying to do. thnx again