PDA

View Full Version : Frustration with model manufacturers

Snowman
02-01-2011, 07:33 AM
I find it incredible that the models out there need so much work to make an accurate representation of the real thing. With tamiya the king hauler needs major work to look like a peterbilt or kenworth, the knight would need reshaped headlights etc to be a freightliner and so forth, then there's the trailers! They're all too short and the tanker is all wrong, too high on the chassis and no details underneath the tank. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate tamiya at all, just frustrated there are no kits out there that are 100% accurate representations of the real thing straight out the box. Don't know so much about wedico stuff but I don't think their trailers are much better.
Guess it makes it all the more satisfying when we custom build stuff or modify the kits out there.

Cossett
02-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Hi Snowman yes it would be good to see a as true American truck but that would mean Tamiya paying PACCAR for trade mark rights and we all know how protective they are of there brand and people making copies of there products so its just cheaper to change the look just a little so they can avoid trademark infringements.

Cheers Tracy

doodlebug
02-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Yah, but look what licensing has done for John Deere? There stuff is everywhere, I think they were smart on that one!

Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug

tc1cat
02-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Tamiyas problem is licensing costs them money!! Most of their market is Europe not the USA. That is why their trucks are styled for Europe and not the US. Short trailers, 3 axle reefer with super singles and all of the European tractors. I could not imagine what a King Hauler would cost us if it was a copy of a Pete and licensed. Ford must have been asleep when Tamiya made the Aeromax or they just wanted the added advertizing! Tamiya got their butt in trouble way back with the Clodbuster with Chevy so I think they just make a few changes to a model and go from there. I agree it would be nice to be able to buy a kit and put it together stock and have it look just like what you see on the highways in the States. Guess that is why Wedico is in business!!!

Lynn

FreddyGearDrive
02-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Now if the kit was right on the money,what fun would that be?
You paint it & put it together,then what?
Even if they made a true replica of a pete,Guys would be hacken them to make it look like a KW or something else.
Plus like one of the other guys said,the price would be to the moon!
I myself think there way over priced now. Then add the royalties:eek:
FGD

td9clyde
02-01-2011, 06:43 PM
my gripe kinda falls into this look at the construction equipment models we only have a few and most of those are leibeir or how ever you spell it you don't see alot of those around what about making more common dozers like a cat d6 or an ih td15 or td25 or even terex models of all sizes it would be nice to see more diversity sor4ry about the spelling all

Snowman
02-01-2011, 08:16 PM
That is why their trucks are styled for Europe and not the US. Short trailers, 3 axle reefer with super singles and all of the European tractors.

The three axle reefer is definitely what we see over here in Europe, but those short trailers aren't even close! They must come from cloud cuckoo land or some such place! Trailers in the UK are generally 45". I can understand avoiding royalties by making generic trucks, but the trailers fall short (no pun intended) in my humble opinion.
Compare them to the cattle trailers some here have and also any other custom built trailers of the correct length. It's like night and day.
I totally agree with the construction models. Not bashing those that can afford them, but sheesh! Five grand for a model!? That's what I'd spend buying a car! And not rc, I mean a real car!

ihbuilder
02-01-2011, 09:42 PM
my gripe kinda falls into this look at the construction equipment models we only have a few and most of those are leibeir or how ever you spell it you don't see alot of those around what about making more common dozers like a cat d6 or an ih td15 or td25 or even terex models of all sizes it would be nice to see more diversity sor4ry about the spelling all

henry thats for us to do and we can :D in europe Leibeir is pretty common .

Juganought
02-03-2011, 06:33 AM
Not bashing those that can afford them, but sheesh! Five grand for a model!? That's what I'd spend buying a car! And not rc, I mean a real car!......

I like the fact that some of the models are expensive. I was looking at some Rc stuff built in poland, and If I had the money, spending ten grand would not be a problem. Some dude spend $75 million buying chinese pots.... If you had the cash, I'm sure you would do the same.

spudd
02-03-2011, 09:35 AM
I think thank god they don't build them correct!!!!!
Otherwise I would have never met some of the great people on here

td9clyde
02-03-2011, 06:01 PM
henry thats for us to do and we can :D in europe Leibeir is pretty common .

i have to agree we can build them but my building days are over for a while or atleast until spring or mid summer

ihbuilder
02-03-2011, 07:21 PM
i have to agree we can build them but my building days are over for a while or atleast until spring or mid summer

yea same here :( but only till I get my machine running but still depends on the $ flow for the stuff I can't make i.e electrics , hoses , fittings , tires etc