PDA

View Full Version : new transmitter purchase!!!!!!

scalelover
02-11-2011, 12:39 AM
I've come down to the final two transmitters that I'll be buying 1 of. I just want some input from you guys as to wether you think one is better than the other of if any of you have experience with one or the other please chime in. No matter what I just need some input.

I know that both are 2.4 digital control but I do not use the MFC on any of my trucks so I am not worried about that interfacing with the digital trims. However I have plans in the near future for adding screw drive systems or possibly hydraulics so if either of these is no good i would like some info.

first choice is the spektrum DX8 tx with ar8000 rx and tm1000 telemetry
i know its smaller and more expenxive just heard a lot of good things about it and all the switches are 3 position on here.

second Airtronics SD-10G with 10 channel rx this has more channels and is very similar with all programming features all switches on tx are 3 position and programmable. But there is 2 aux channels that have rotary knobs instead of 3 pos switches which kinda worries me but at the same time i like this for possible ram or hydraulic control... hold certain position without having to hold stick.......

Anyway if someone can give me some input I would greatly appreciate it

--Dan

SmallHaul
02-11-2011, 09:12 AM
I am sure they are both good quality radios. Another thing to consider is the cost of rx's. AR6110e's (6-channel JR/Spek) are around $50 and a quick search shows the 2.4 airtronic rx's to be $75 (7-channel). Also I just ordered 4 mini (JR/spek) rx's from hobby king at $8 a piece plus shipping:http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12586
I will report how well they work when I get them.

The 10 channel airtronics rx looks to be about $179 and the 8 channel JR/Spektrum rx is about $120.

JAMMER
02-11-2011, 09:29 AM
If you get the 8 channel Aortronics get the crawler model that way both sticks will be self centering and if you get the 10 channel Airtronics ask to have the sticks self centering one is not. This radio has a lot of 3 way switches on it plus a couple of 2 way and 2 rotary switches one on each side. Also be careful when buying because some are selling the 10 channel with 8 channel Rx so make sure it has a 10 channel Rx. Ed

Stuff
02-11-2011, 09:34 AM
wow some of those receivers are cheap and tiny!

rc_farmer
02-11-2011, 10:18 AM
For future expansion of different options on your trucks, i would get the 10g. Easy to program and many switches. (3 pos) out the ying-yang

aseejr
02-11-2011, 03:10 PM
I personally like the DX8, because:
- almost all the switches (except the gear) are 3 position switches
- ease of programming
- lipo ready (has a built it cutoff and charger included will charge the lipo)
- comfortable to use

aseejr
02-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Oh forgot to add:

You can actually use a radio like this with Tamiya's MFU (no issues with it having digital trims). You just have to get the correct receiver (I know that AR6110 receivers will not work but the AR8000 and a JR921 will).

Kid@heart
02-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I bought the spektrum DX8 and I'm really happy with it. It has lots of 3-pos switches, a dial that can be used to control servos (like a screw drive). I have recently started to figure out the mixing and now have a winch on my tractor that is now pos-0 =off (no mistaken unwinding or tightening of the line), pos-1 = 50% (or less) to simulate a low power gear, and pos-2 = high speed for unwind and rewind.

I have also used this on my motor to be able to switch it off (in case of kid inspired run away) 30% to simulate low gears and 125% to be high speed... almost turns the 3 speed tranny into a 6 speed...

I was also considering the Airtronics 10, but they aren't readily available at the shops around here...

So personally, I'm really happy with the Spektrum... my 2 cents!

fhhhstix
02-11-2011, 08:03 PM
The DX8 is a great radio and if that is what you want have your hobby shop order you one that has both sticks spring loaded they can order it that way don't let them say they can't. If they wont do it, order one from Horizon Hobby they own spectrum and tell them that is how you want it. My DX6I, DX7, and DX8 were all ordered with both sticks spring loaded at no extra charge I also got a DX8 for ihbuilder set up that way as well. One cool feature is that you can control servo speed with the radio whether it is a proportional or 3 position ch. you can program up to 30 sec for full travel. I use that feature on my tag axle just flip the switch and it goes up or down in a nice slow smooth motion. here is a video of my dump bed and tag axle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx2NsCbQEhk

Travis

russisloud
02-11-2011, 09:24 PM
man, i'm going to have to pick up a dx8 sometime. sounds like a great radio

ihbuilder
02-11-2011, 09:32 PM
It's a nice radio ( dx8 )I just haven't got to use it much . but I like slowing the servo down for the lift axle . Not to mention I can get rx's locally :)

IHSteve

aseejr
02-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Just to add another maybe useless bit of information:

On a DX8 the servo slow down is a single adjustable parameter per channel. Meaning if you set the value of that channel to 2s for example it will slow down to that in both directions. On a JR9303 or 9503 you can adjust the speed independently in both directions. So one side can be 4s and the other 2s.

I still prefer using my DX8 over my JR9303.

On my trucks I use the slow down feature to make the steering movement more realistic.

roadranger
02-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Does anyone know if a Spektrum AR6210 receiver will run a Tamiya MFU?
I know a 6100 will not.

ihbuilder
02-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Does anyone know if a Spektrum AR6210 receiver will run a Tamiya MFU?
I know a 6100 will not.

jim I know travis has a mfu with spectrum but not to sure how he has it hitched up or what Rx

IHSteve

scalelover
02-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Wow I really appreciate all the info you guys have given me. There are all lot of pros to each unit, without a lot of cons on either. I am going with the airtronics just do to the extra channels on it. I know the dxi10 is out now but woooo its pricey. Thanks again for all the help.

--Dan

woodhog
02-13-2011, 08:58 AM
how can you use or what switches for track movement on a excavator. i have been eyeballin a dx8 ,i have a dx3r on my crawlers and love it.:)

Lil Giants
02-13-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm going to get the DX8 for my JD850. The rotary dial will work good for proportional control of for/rev travel & one of the 3pos switches for lft/rht turning. A spring loaded/self center 3pos switch would be ideal for one finger control, but oh well, I'll see what I can do to program that 3pos so it's not too erractic.

It'd be great if there ever was a special excavator radio manufactured with "foot pedals" that would plug into the radio, then you could make that sucker dance. :D

aseejr
02-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Some have suggested that track speed really is not that important. If the 3 position switch is used, pos2 middle would be no movement, pos1 would be preset forward and pos3 would be a preset reverse (or vise versa). I am just in the planning stage and was thinking of using my JR9303 for an excavator build. The 9303 has variable lever controls on both sides of the transmitter. I thought great to use for the tracks.

Lil Giants
02-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Track speed depends on what you're doing. Loading onto a trl or climbing a hill, very slow. Moving across a jobsite, as fast as it will go.

Is this the JR radio (http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRP2915) you refer to aseejr? The sliders are in the top corners? Is both sticks self center?

aseejr
02-13-2011, 06:02 PM
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a405/aseejr/JR9303%20Radio/IMG_2321.jpg
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a405/aseejr/JR9303%20Radio/IMG_2323.jpg
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a405/aseejr/JR9303%20Radio/IMG_2324.jpg

I just need to check to make sure that both levers are able to control separate channels. Although they are not self centering they do have noticeable notches when at center of movement.

aseejr
03-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Yes, the levers on either side of the JR9303 or 9503 can be programmed to control separate channels (proportionally). Therefore, installing this on a excavator - the two levers would control tracks on left and right side and the two sticks can control - boom, stick, curl and swing.