PDA

View Full Version : Using cordless drill

D8R
03-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Have been thinking of using some motor/gearbox from cordless drills for next project (maybee). Did buy a couple Bosch drills 12V with a rating of 30Nm! If it is useable everything needed is inside that drill. Speedcontrol and direction controls could be adapted to a servo. Only problem was that the chuck is sitting real hard, will have to cut it apart.
After reading the ongoing tread about the Bell 50 tonner, checked out Comodrills site and there biggest motor-gearbox was rated 10Nm and a pricetag of £90, thats about $140, more than the Bosch drill.

Anyone with expirence of using drills as power source???
Dan

sparkycuda
03-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Don't have direct experience with using cordless drill in a model, but saw a kids firetruck in a local parade last summer. An adult dressed as a clown was driving and later I saw him and found he used a Dewalt drill to power the firetruck - with him riding. Used one battery during a one mile parade on level ground. Had a second battery running lights and siren. I don't see any reason why you could not use a drill - just have to be able to control it with your radio. The battery is probably not the most space efficient shape. I remember someone on one of the forums using drill batteries and stripping the case away to make it a smaller package.

Ken

doodlebug
03-02-2011, 09:22 PM
I've seen website's for wheel chair's and scaffolding drive's with dewalt drill's.
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

mog
03-02-2011, 09:40 PM
ya i hear of ppl using them befor get get your chuck off open it all the way and there should bea screw in the bottum now i don't know about bosch some are left had then give it a good rap. bosch's web site i bet will tell you how to change the chuck

tracksntreadslou
03-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Hey Dan Dirtpusher Joe used a couple in his D9 build and if i remember correctly he had it set up to shift into the second speed ...They are pretty strong to power a 100 lbs model...If you are trying to take the chuck off you have to remember the the screw inside comes off counter clockwise (reverse thread)..They can be a real pain in the A$$

td9clyde
03-03-2011, 10:31 AM
I have used cordless drills in my terex dozer i used the same as DP9 and yes i had to cut the chucks off i have cut 4 of them off now i try to save the threads that hold the chuck i also have used 4 1/2 inch grinder heads as gear boxes if your interested it is all in my terex thread any more questions i will do the best to answer them

D8R
03-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for answer, didn´t know that DP9 used it in his build, maybee that was desribed in Garden forum before I found it. And I will read your tread again, must have mist it, sorry.

The screw is gone but can´t still get the chuck off, guess I have to do the same, cut if apart. Maybee there´s a difference between the Dewalt and Bosch, did buy Bosch because of good price and good torque.
The battery is a little bulky but if you have the space it must be a convinient way using them, battery (atleast one) and charge is always with the drill.
Will come back with seperate tread when that build starts.
Dan

9W Monighan
03-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Sounds like the chuck is mounted on a taper like most Jacobs chucks. The screw is just a way of keeping it up on the taper. All air drills (that don't reverse) are mounted on the 3/8''-24 RH thread. To remove you can buy a set of tapered shims from Jacobs to place between the housing and chuck to pop them off. I never fooled with any of the 14.4v Dewalts in my shop. The clutch gets worn or the motor cooks and I buy more. I was looking at the new compact ones with the LIPO batteries and was wondering if they're any good. I've gone thru about 15 of the 14.4's in my shop in the past 12-13yrs. and we use them mostly for drilling and tapping and sometimes screwing crates together.

steamer
03-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Dan I've found this is the quickest way to get them off after removing the screw. Find the biggest allen wrench that will fit in the chuck and put the short end it the chuck. Put the drill in slow speed and give the long end a good whack with your biggest hammer. Good luck and hope this helps.
Rob

D8R
03-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Rob, did try your suggestion, but not with hammer, afraid to damage the reduction inside.
Steve, do the Dewalt has a metal housing on the reduction?
Here´s a pic from the dismantled Bosch
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/gulalastbilen/DSC_0076.jpg
Dan

td9clyde
03-03-2011, 07:07 PM
the chucks are threaded on and i cut them off with a 4 1/2 grinder with a cut off wheel i don't take them clear apart like that i usually leave them all together and take the chucks off first then i take them apart i use 2 brand new craftsman drills in my dozer i purchased them off e bay they have good torque i how ever am not running a big battery like DP9

D8R
03-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Did dismantle it only to see what in it, will be reassembled before cutting the chuck of.
dan

sparkycuda
03-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Often you can buy new parts for less money than used tools. I have purchased planetary reduction boxes and motors for my dozer from http://www.eReplacementParts.com. They have parts for a wide variety of power tools. Chose what brand and model you want parts for and pick from the parts lists. Got a new gearbox for $8.95 and matching 12V motor for $7.50 - and no chuck to remove.

Ken

9W Monighan
03-04-2011, 02:40 PM
I just watched their removal video. The chuck is screwed on with right hand threads. I would have thought it was the tapered method because while unscrewing a tough screw it would come off. I'll have to rip into a couple of my junkers and give it a try.