PDA

View Full Version : Dupli-Color rattle can paints

roadranger
03-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Has anyone noticed Dupli-Color automotive paints have changed their formula in the last couple of months?

I've got some old cans that sprayed thicker, and dried quicker than the new stuff.

The new cans don't cover nearly as well, and stay tacky much longer.

So much for progress, and Big Brother watching over our health!

td9clyde
03-08-2011, 06:17 PM
thats why i use rustluem and others like that

roadranger
03-09-2011, 09:31 PM
rustoleum! that stuff takes a week or 2 to dry!

Zimms Customs
03-10-2011, 12:01 AM
I use Dupli-Color and have not had any problems. I sprayed my Coronado with it. I follow what is says on the can an it dries in about 45 min to the touch. This is what I am using:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVCatalogAssetStore/N3278D/large/99984824_dpl_bgm0331_pri_larg.jpg

roadranger
03-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Matt- I've found that their older product sold in 5 oz. cans performed better.
These new 8 oz cans don't cover half as well as the old cans, and take longer to dry-
like you said, about 45 minutes - and up to an hour longer in colder conditions.

The old cans would be dry to touch in about 10 minutes, and could solidly cover half again as much surface. Unfortunately, the 5 oz cans are fast disappearing off dealer shelves.

Zimms Customs
03-11-2011, 11:42 AM
I found that with paint, no matter what you have to be patient. From the research I have done, the slower it cures, the better off you are. I painted my 67 mustang 3 different times and worked with all sorts of paints. I think as far as durability and workability goes, this Dupli Color is the best. I have worked with the other stuff and didn't like it very well. I guess it is all a matter of preference though.

spudd
03-11-2011, 12:47 PM
i have found if you put the can in a bucket of hot water it helps it lay down better and dry faster.
i have used plasti coat and it lays down like glass if you do it that way

roadranger
03-11-2011, 10:00 PM
be patient, hmmmm
Hard to do when you've got limited build time, and the weather is not cooperating, and you've got to shoot primer, then 2-3 coats of color on the one day available to work on it.

I DO use Dupli Color's self etching primer on the aluminum parts, and the paint seems to stick better, less chipping.

And I do warm up the cans in a pot of hot water.

But the results are less than perfect - - -more practice, I guess.

FreddyGearDrive
03-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Just a suggestion,throw them there flippin rattle cans in the garbage!
Then get yourself a nice airbrush (siphon not gravity) w/acouple of extra tanks & a larger mixing tank.Also get 2 different needles & nozzles,The wide pattern is the one you want for spraying rigs. It's way cheaper in the long run instead of them rip off spray bombs! Plus! The results are WAY better!
One thing I've learned about shooting paint,is you use a lot less color,if you give it some tack time between thin coats. The first 5 coats you want to shoot a little dry & very thin. Then add more thinner & lay a little heavier,& alow at least an hr between coats. Usually a truck will take 10-15 coats. On the very last coat,I myself add some clear to the color in tank & lay a heavy coat so it flows. The last coat is the tricky one. Have to be careful you don't run it.
As far as dry time,the paint I use has to sit at least 14 days before you can paw it & not leave finger prints.
Also if you paint the cab first,then let it sit while you build the rest of the rig.You won't be pressured to get the wet cab on your work of art.
I used to paint the cab last thing on the build,now it's the first thing I do unless cab is modded & needed to set front axle.Then to the paint shop.
That rushin the paint thing,just never worked for me.
Just some suggestions,based on what I've learned the hard way since in this hobby.
FGD

roadranger
03-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info, Freddy. Wow, that's a lot of $$$ equipment to buy just to get a couple - three bodies painted. And a 14 day paint set time! Yikes!
Guess if I want a professional paint job done, I'll go to one of you professional builders.
Meanwhile, I'll practice with the rattle cans on my trailers...