PDA

View Full Version : Hyd Pump - What did I just buy?

Heavy Metal
03-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Picked one of these off ebay. Couple left. Anyone know anything about these? Did I waste my money? Lower pressure than most stuff on here. Thought these might work for utility applications like tow truck and utility truck booms or stabilizers, etc. Didn't do the math to see if it could lift a dump truck body full of sand....maybe retrofit w/ a new set of SS gears would allow higher pressure? Mostly wanted to just tinker with it some day and see what I could make it do.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130501850279&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Joe

ihbuilder
03-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Joe , it may be a washer fluid pump . Though I'm not sure :confused: thank you :) I'll be tinkering with it to :p For the $ it worth it :)

FreddyGearDrive
03-26-2011, 08:09 AM
What are they made to do? Pump fuel for jets? Do you know what the max pressure is? Most of all,can you run them for longer than 2 min,before there red hot? If there made for airplane landing gear,be careful you don't burn your hand on it,if you run for any period of time.
For $35 you can't go wrong,even if you have to mod them for your use.
FGD

ihbuilder
03-26-2011, 09:03 AM
just did some checking on it . It is used in the health and science ind.

Specs : 3.2 L/min (0.85 GPM), 5.6 bar (80 psi), 0.316 to 1.12 ml/rev

no motor included . original motor is magnetic propulsion , with some work a elc motor could be configured to run it . They are made to handle some volatile stuff . the interesting thing is , My wife could prob. get them from work :rolleyes: the pressure is no concern for me as the flow is ,although it appears to have some sort of pressure regulating apparatus on it . well we shall see :)

Heavy Metal
03-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Freddy....they are like 80 p.s.i....there is a link to read about them. Did not find any info on type of applications but seem to be rated for continuous duty in industrial applications so prob not running hot unless you run over pressure. Main issue is they are designed for use w/ magnetic drive motor so there is no shaft to seal. Have to buy their motor (don't know cost yet) or modify to adapt conventional motor and design shaft seal.

http://www.micropump.ca/micropump_120series.htm

pugs
03-26-2011, 11:34 AM
If they have PEEK gears, you won't gain much going to stainless gears. Peek is a super plastic (read expensive) with some amazing strength and heat properties.

If you can figure out a shaft drive motor, that is probably the weak point, the 80 psi is probably just under where the mag drive starts to slip. If the relief valve can't handle anything higher, then bottom it out and use an external one.

ihbuilder
03-26-2011, 02:17 PM
when I get mine I'll give a review . looking at the pics , there is a shaft that the magnet attaches to . so these 4 pumps are not complete . From what I see , you will have to make a plate to go over the side where the shaft comes out . I'm thinking of setting it up much like vero does with the jung .

Again , Joe thanks for the find :) and the link :) this seems to be something to work with . they also make some with a higher flow rate and working pressure . looks like another place to call .

Vanisle
03-27-2011, 04:15 PM
I have looked at these for a long time but never quite got around to buying one. Great price. They can get really expensive. You can also buy rebuild kits without the housing. Looking forward to see how well they work.

Stuff
03-27-2011, 07:57 PM
looks okay to me. lets see when you get them!

ihbuilder
04-01-2011, 12:29 PM
got mine today , not bad , I need to get a good motor and make a plate to mount the motor . I just run out of time :mad:

Heavy Metal
04-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Got mine too...same story. Any suggestions on motor? Specs say the magnetic motors run up to 4000RPM...just need to figure what kind of power it needs to have. Need to find the specs for the Johnson motor on my Leimbach pump I guess....

ihbuilder
04-01-2011, 07:39 PM
give me a little time I got a busy weekend some one coming to look at my td8E :(:(:(:(:( but I need tools ! and it's not making money:( .

pugs
04-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Well, the specs above calculate to 0.03967 hydraulic hp

Heavy Metal
04-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Okay guys...the Idex Micropump project was looking too cool :cool: to pass up this weekend so gave her a try. Didn't have the right motor but went ahead and put it together with a stock Tamiya can motor to see what she would do.

These pumps are designed to have mag drive motors so in that configuration there is no shaft to seal...but these pumps are missing the motor. Mag drives for these can be had but for big bucks. So challenge here is to make a plate that lets the oil flow internal for press relief but seals the drive shaft.

Drive and I/O side of the pump...the mag motor would be bolted on these three holes....

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn265/jbothell/Micropump/DSC03840.jpg

Business side, broke in half...cavity plate slides right off the pins too...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn265/jbothell/Micropump/DSC03837.jpg

So here is the "conversion kit" I fabricated to adapt the can motor....

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn265/jbothell/Micropump/DSC03846.jpg

O-ring sits in a pocket. Idea was to be able to add washer shims as needed on the pump side to add compression and tighten up. The test run leaked - just a little - so we'll have to see if stacking a shim and compressing the o-ring a bit more will stop it. The outside seal didn't leak...I milled a raised lip about .005 to sit down in the teflon pocket. Seemed to do the trick (even though the Taig is struggling to cut a round circle...need to do some backlash maintenance!!) :D :p

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn265/jbothell/Micropump/DSC03843.jpg

Made some standoff spacers and put it all together...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn265/jbothell/Micropump/DSC03854.jpg

Plumbed into my old backhoe test board...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn265/jbothell/Micropump/DSC03857.jpg

She works!! My test battery was about dead before I thought to grab the camera...pic shows 70 psi but she was pegged at 80 for the first few minutes...which is what the specs say for the internal pressure relief. The can motor didn't have power needed but I was able run the cylinders in and out a few times. It does work.

A few things before any videos... Fix the leak. Get a real motor and try to find a stronger spring for the press relief. And hopefully that will do it. Joe

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn265/jbothell/Micropump/DSC03858.jpg

ihbuilder
04-04-2011, 07:24 AM
you bugger , you beat me too it :p:p:p:p:D

Stuff
04-04-2011, 11:11 AM
ha i was playing with a backhoe like that the other day!

glad to see you got these pumps going!! would you say they are bigger then the conventional units out there now?

Heavy Metal
04-04-2011, 11:55 AM
glad to see you got these pumps going!! would you say they are bigger then the conventional units out there now?

Yeah, its a little bigger...my Idex pump & motor rig is about same size as Leimback pump/motor/tank. BUT, the cavity plate and gears are similar in size so in theory could be re-worked to be about same size as Leimbach.

you bugger , you beat me too it :p:p:p:p:D

Yeah well Steve...it really working just yet. Once I got the leak fixed I'll declare it a victory. :D;)

ihbuilder
04-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Joe get your leak fixed before changing anything . let me guess around the shaft ?

Heavy Metal
04-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Yep, leaks around the input shaft. Will be trying a fix to compress the o-ring a bit more and let you know how it goes...

ihbuilder
04-04-2011, 08:24 PM
I can get a shaft seal for them , but the specs are for low speed :confused::( not to mention $$$ . when you dish out leave the area at the shaft in so it goes against the pump housing at the shaft . I was going to do what you did just have the motor stacked on top of the pump using a timing belt and gears/pulley much like verio's setup . I just have my rotary setup for hubs and don't want to take the jig off till the cnc mill is running . I def. got a bad sevo amp :mad: now just to get 1 :( or 2 , 1 for the 4th axis :D

Heavy Metal
04-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Okay good news and bad news. Fixed the leak around shaft with more compression on the o-ring....but now I see a little seepage in the housing body which I think is just a design error...the raised lip on the plate that seats in the teflon ring pocket needs to be narrower and taller. Sealing the shaft was my main worry and looks like I might have that solved. :D:D:D

Will have to make a new plate this weekend and by then I might have a stronger motor to really test this thing out - the cheapo can motor just won't turn this pump once it gets up to pressure. If the new motor doesn't arrive by the weekend I might have to borrow the motor off my Leimbach pump. :D:D

Joe

Heavy Metal
04-04-2011, 08:44 PM
when you dish out leave the area at the shaft in so it goes against the pump housing at the shaft. I was going to do what you did just have the motor stacked on top of the pump using a timing belt and gears/pulley much like verio's setup.

Actually, Steve that's pretty much what I did...there is only room for two shim washers and the o-ring...that way I add/remove washers to compress/decompress the o-ring. Seems to have worked.

I thought about the vario setup but this was fastest for now...and I didn't have the right belts and pulleys on hand.

I just have my rotary setup for hubs and don't want to take the jig off till the cnc mill is running . I def. got a bad sevo amp :mad: now just to get 1 :( or 2 , 1 for the 4th axis :D

Good luck on the mill. If I get a winner on the plate I'll cut one out for you to play with....anything to keep my wheel order moving up the queue. LOL. :D But no laughing at my tolerances...now that I am making a few precision parts instead of cosmetic I can't believe all the backlash in the little Taig. Some can be tightened and some compensated for in Mach3...just need to stop milling for an hour or two and do the maintenance. :rolleyes::D

Joe

ihbuilder
ya I smoked 1 of those cans on my vain pump :D :p . it worked till I tightened the tolerance on the vain . I'm not sure my vain pump idea is feasible considering what it was used for :rolleyes: and the size motor it will need . But these lil pumps have a lot of potential :D right now I got enough for the dozer , pan and 2 others :D and looking for more ;)

Stuff
sweet!

Heavy Metal
04-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Yep...I like what I see with these little pumps so far. And yes...the can motor was burning up...I'd run it for 60 seconds then smells like I let the smoke out so let it cool...try again...I think I've just about killed it already. LOL.

Heavy Metal
04-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Thought I'd post a little update on this. Have some good news and bad news on the Idex Micropump.

First the good news...no problem stopping the leaks in the shaft seal or housing. (Steve - I'll fill you in on that w/ PM later...ended up getting square o-rings for housing and quad rings for the shaft off McMaster so had to buy 50 pcs...will send you a handful to play with...they work good).

Now the bad news. I tried my Leimbach 12v motor to run this pump and it pulls a ton of current and doesn't have enough power to spin the pump to proper speed when it's running against the pressure relief - unless you feed it about 8 or 9 amps and even then it labors and never really spins up to a sustainable speed. I knew about this problem in previous posts but was hoping it was because I had the shaft too tight due to compressing the o-ring to seal the leak. So I did a serious of [poorly documented and unphotographed] experiments to see why the same motor that spins a Leimbach pump doesn't have the power to spin this pump. I will spare you the details and say that it ultimately led me back to review the specs for these pumps. Per L.G. Joe in the DIY Pump thread the Leimbach pump is a 350ml/min pump - not sure if that is max at full 10 bar (or is it 15?) but probably so. I didn't verify the 350 ml/min but sounds about right and Joe's numbers have always checked out before. So the Idex model 120 pump is spec'd for about 2000ml/min at 5.5 bar (80 p.s.i.) and the pumps they spec are shown to run 4000 RPM and pull 90 watts which would be 7.5 amps at 12v. That's a lot of current for a little motor.

Anyway...where am I going with all this babble...well I haven't completely drawn a conclusion yet...and I still think we can make this pump work...but my theroy right now is the Idex model 120 is trying to move about 6 times as much fluid as the Leimbach and these regular Johnson motors just weren't designed to generate that kind of power. Good news is these pumps have the extra capacity in a small package for the guys with big machines and big cylinders. Bad news is they are current hungry.

Next step is to run it geared down 3:1 or even more and see if the motor runs a comfortable speed and if it operates my test cylinders at the right rate. The pump seems to run 80 p.s.i. at pretty low RPMs so I am optimistic that lower RPM won't mean lower pressure...just lower volume and therefore ability to be driven by a 12v battery powered motor. Then I will insert the heavier spring I bought to modify the pressure relief to see if it runs closer to 10 bar, etc. etc.

Joe

doodlebug
04-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Joe, you're on the right track with slowing it down for lower volume/amp's. I didn't have much luck with pump's in Vegas. Have to reload the computer, before I can post any picture's-Window's 7 Suck's! Mostly Window's Live!
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

Finster
02-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Hi,

I hate to dig up old threads, but is there a final verdict on these pumps? Is it usable or not? Anyone find a solution? Thanks in advance.

ihbuilder
02-06-2012, 01:38 PM
yes it could be usable I myself have not gotten to the testing stage . bear in mind , these are used pumps from some labatory set up . to buy a new 1 + replace the magnetic coupling is not worth it . New without the motor is aruond 300 usd . might just as well buy a "plug and play" set up from accross the pond .

grumpygrady
02-06-2012, 06:25 PM
HERE IS A DRIVE FOR THAT PUMP

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Micropump-40045-MAX-SPEED-8000-RPM-24-VDC-Small-Footprint-/330638670989?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfb99bc8d
and here is a link for the info on that series of pumps

http://www.micropump.com/support_documents/Series_GJ_Technical_Specs.pdf

grumpygrady
02-06-2012, 06:29 PM
it says they are good for 300psi ?

ihbuilder
02-06-2012, 07:11 PM
thats all well and good , but what happens when you get oil in the magnets . I've tried this with 2 of the smaller 1's I got as complete units .

grumpygrady
02-06-2012, 08:15 PM
thats all well and good , but what happens when you get oil in the magnets . I've tried this with 2 of the smaller 1's I got as complete units .

ok i am confused
the one that was on ebay was a mag drive pump
it does not matter if you get oil on the magnets as they don't touch anything
in fact there is plastic between the two magnets

or are you talking about the one that was converted to shaft drive?

grumpygrady
02-06-2012, 08:18 PM
the 120 series puts out 120 kpa which is 17 psi

http://www.csgnetwork.com/presskpapsicvt.html

ihbuilder
02-06-2012, 08:24 PM
the reason for the mag coupling is to eliminate shaft seals I have 2 complete pump and motor set up with a mag drive . I tried 1 , as soon as I got oil in it it lost conection . They are not designed to pump oil with out removing the mag drive . then lies the ? if the poly pump gears will hold up in oil :confused: I might abandon this altogether do to what the pump was designed for ,deffinately not oil .

gun
02-06-2012, 09:05 PM
the reason for the mag coupling is to eliminate shaft seals I have 2 complete pump and motor set up with a mag drive . I tried 1 , as soon as I got oil in it it lost conection . They are not designed to pump oil with out removing the mag drive . then lies the ? if the poly pump gears will hold up in oil :confused: I might abandon this altogether do to what the pump was designed for ,deffinately not oil .

steve get back in your cage and find my bricks and keep one finger on the green button:D:p:)

ihbuilder
02-06-2012, 09:49 PM
steve get back in your cage and find my bricks and keep one finger on the green button:D:p:)

do what :eek: Paul make sure you put some mice in that rack for this guy :p

grumpygrady
02-07-2012, 12:20 PM
do what :eek: Paul make sure you put some mice in that rack for this guy :p

thanks for the reply and for answering my questions
it is nice to be able to ask questions and have a adult conversation with someone without be called out or being made fun of because of an miss-understood question or reply
unlike at scale4x4 where folks jump down anyone's throat that asks a question that may or may not have been answered in the last ten years.
it seems that i need to ask the company why they say the pump will pump oil or heavy fluids, as you have tried and failed
again thanks for your time and trouble answering my questions

grumpygrady

ihbuilder
02-07-2012, 12:39 PM
thanks for the reply and for answering my questions
it is nice to be able to ask questions and have a adult conversation with someone without be called out or being made fun of because of an miss-understood question or reply
unlike at scale4x4 where folks jump down anyone's throat that asks a question that may or may not have been answered in the last ten years.
it seems that i need to ask the company why they say the pump will pump oil or heavy fluids, as you have tried and failed
again thanks for your time and trouble answering my questions

grumpygrady

no prob I'm just up to my Eyes in work that I haven't got to check into them further :(

ihbuilder
02-12-2012, 07:17 PM
I finally got to where Joe left off :eek: Altough I haven't run a pressure test ather then through a cylinder trying to stop it with in my hand ( can't :rolleyes:) it will move .5 oz in secounds of atf ( all I have on hand right now ) . I'm using a johnson motor similar to the 1 liembach uses with a 4:1 reduction . I still need to do an amp draw test and true pressure . I'm thinking of testing it in my 990 loader . I just need to finish my valves and make my cylinders . I put 1 of these on 1 of the mag drive motos I have . Just not enough magnetic force to keep it going . Now these mag drives are on a smaller pump that seems to just have a drip flow . to back up a little , I think what Joe is considering a press. relief valve , is more a flow control valve . nother words , if totally open you get a drip flow when totally closed full flow ( I hope that makes sense :o) . The smaller pumps lack this just a hole where it should be but when closeed up I loose the mag coupling instantly . I was wrong when I said the mag will not work in oil :o I just couldn't hear it working w/out my mechanical ears :o .

Lil Giants
02-12-2012, 08:02 PM
So the magnetic connection will determine how much pressure it's capable of?

ihbuilder
02-12-2012, 08:27 PM
So the magnetic connection will determine how much pressure it's capable of?

I'm not sure Joe :o I've talked about these with Freddy awhile back , we both agreed It just will not work for what we need . I guess in a sense it will :o these pumps are for some labatory/medical use not requiring a lot of press I think :confused: The 2 small pumps I have came with the motor and mag drive , not changing anything on them I can't get but a drip out of the outlet . for the kind of Pressure Joe and I get out of the bigger 1's they must have 1 heck of a magnet coupling . I didn't pay alot for the few I have ,but they require modification for our use . for what the cost new , your better of buying what we have available in the hobby already . I'll use what I have , cause I have them now , but in the future will just save for the Jung set up . I was really impressed with it for the few min. I took the controls of Ed's excavator . next is valves :confused: I just keep going back and forth on buying or make . I got to speend another grand on a collet chuck and collets for the lathe so I can make the plungers being that the big chucks I have now can't hold much smaller then 3/8" . tooling seems to win out these days though :confused: .

ihbuilder
07-07-2012, 12:02 AM
well i finally got 1 to a useable state :eek::D:D:D:D

smaller original pump as I got them

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz230/ihbuilder/PIC_1501.jpg

The 1st thing I did was cut the back of the housing down where ththe motor couples to the pump to give me more useable shaft without a slotin it for the goofy mag coupling . then made the sealing/coupling plate much like Joe did . then , using the bell that came with the motor to attach the motor much like the original . Instead of mag coupling I got the smallest bore lovejoy coupling from McM . The motor that came with it musta been gelded :eek: so , I had a 55T integy lathe motor and a RC4wth 4:1 reduction put it all together and ahlala insta pump at 15 bar pushing against the gage . bear in mind this is the smaller of the 2 type I have . it also has no relief valve .

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz230/ihbuilder/DSCN0237.jpg

J-T
07-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Hi guys im in Australia and would like to know is
there some where i can purchase one of these (ebay etc)

I do know this has been asked , any help
would be great

Cheers Jay

ihbuilder
08-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Hi guys im in Australia and would like to know is
there some where i can purchase one of these (ebay etc)

I do know this has been asked , any help
would be great

Cheers Jay

YEA EBAY I just checked , there's not any on worth useing right now meaning cheap enough to make it worth while . you gotta keep your eye out for them .

J-T
08-03-2012, 05:40 AM
Great thanks ihbuilder