PDA

View Full Version : Bruder Excavator Conversion Radio Setup Help Needed

rockNmayhem
03-31-2011, 01:08 AM
I'm currently building a Bruder CAT excavator and have come to the point I'm trying to figure out what radio to go with and how I can get the machine to switch between boom servo's and two drive servo's so I can drive and use the boom and arm. I'm not quite sure how to do it but here is what I'm wanting my stick setup to be like if possible.

Left stick: Swing Left/Right
Left stick: Arm Up/Down
Right stick: Bucket curl Left/Right
Right stick: Boom Up/Down

Switching to track mode

Left stick: Left track drive Up-Forward/Down-Reverse
Right stick: Right track drive Up-Forward/Down-Reverse

I'm not sure how I could mix them to work together with the boom and arm but if I were only able to switch between them it would be fine with me.

Thanks for the help and if anyone needs more information I'll try to come up with what I can.

A quick run down of what all I will be opperating as well.

Two drive servo's (one for each side of tracks)
Two boom servos
One arm servo
One bucket curling servo
Chassis servo for rotation of the cab
Two forward facing boom lights
Two cab top work lights
Two rear red tail lights

Would like to be able to switch the lights on with an accessory switch from the transmitter, possibly all at once or seperate boom lights from cab and tail lights.

I know this is kinda asking alot but any help is greatly appriciated.:D

Thanks,
~Tyler~

Lil Giants
04-01-2011, 12:10 AM
I think your configuration is what's called Caterpiller controls. I use Hitachi controls, just b/c I got twenty minutes seat time in one 10yrs ago while I was in the process of building my 1st Stahl hoe.

I'm going to try using a DX8 radio to run my JD850 Vario-Earthmovers hoe. The controls will be boom/swing - stick/bucket, and the tracks for/rev on the dial switch & the lft/rht I'll use the 3 position switch.

My other Stahl hoes I've been using the Robbe/Futaba FM F14 radios b/c of the slider proportional controls between the sticks was great for the tracks.

Dimension Engineering's Sabertooth (http://www.dimensionengineering.com/Sabertooth2X5RC.htm) works great for track control. It has the option of the dual esc's together for mix or flip a switch for individual control of each driver.

Papy
04-01-2011, 01:38 AM
I added 2 sticks to a futaba f14 and this works great.

The two main sticks are used for digging, the two additionnal allow me to operate the tracks + auxilliary function (rotating a grapple, for example). As the f14 is an 8 channel radio, this leaves a channel for a switch device in order to activate the pump/lights/etc...

The main advantage is that you can operate tracks and equipment simultaneously.

caterpillar
05-08-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm currently building a Bruder CAT excavator and have come to the point I'm trying to figure out what radio to go with and how I can get the machine to switch between boom servo's and two drive servo's so I can drive and use the boom and arm. I'm not quite sure how to do it but here is what I'm wanting my stick setup to be like if possible.

Left stick: Swing Left/Right
Left stick: Arm Up/Down
Right stick: Bucket curl Left/Right
Right stick: Boom Up/Down

Switching to track mode

Left stick: Left track drive Up-Forward/Down-Reverse
Right stick: Right track drive Up-Forward/Down-Reverse

I'm not sure how I could mix them to work together with the boom and arm but if I were only able to switch between them it would be fine with me.

Thanks for the help and if anyone needs more information I'll try to come up with what I can.

A quick run down of what all I will be opperating as well.

Two drive servo's (one for each side of tracks)
Two boom servos
One arm servo
One bucket curling servo
Chassis servo for rotation of the cab
Two forward facing boom lights
Two cab top work lights
Two rear red tail lights

Would like to be able to switch the lights on with an accessory switch from the transmitter, possibly all at once or seperate boom lights from cab and tail lights.

I know this is kinda asking alot but any help is greatly appriciated.:D

Thanks,
~Tyler~

Hi Tyler, I would like to find out more about your settings. I am going to start converting my excavator soon. Just trying to get my head around the controls.
I saw an example where a 5 channel radio was used in 2 different modes (bagger mode and drive mode). I am trying to find out how this gets configured and what the wiring would look like.
br
Koen

Jigglepin
07-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Hi rocknmayhem,

I haven'nt been on this site for ages, I'm currently building a custom excavator which I've posted the build on scale 4x4. I encountered the same problem trying to control all the operations with a 6 channel radio, but with some hints and tips from other fellow R/C-er's I found this solution (please check my build thread, it may be of some use http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69020 )

Happy building! :D