PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh Het M1070, M1000

Car5858
04-11-2011, 06:00 PM
I started this build last week. Spent the last 6 months designing it in my free time. The first version was a wood replica, (avatar pic) some engine details and cab interior.

Car5858
04-11-2011, 06:19 PM
This is what the truck was designed from. I also found that blueprints.com is a good starting point for basic drawings. I searched the web and found Oshkosh site, some of their brochures have the specks for the truck and sometimes include an orthograph view of the truck. To bad they removed the Het that I am modeling from the site.

First things first, the design of the tractor is 22.5 inches long. This will be a 1/16 scale build due to having the tank for it already.

Been gathering parts, so far I have 2 tlt-1 axels for the front and rear steering. I have 2 intermediate axles, not happy with the width to wide with tires mounted.

My father has my lathe at his place and will be turning the hubs for me. I havent decided on the tires so far, I like the rockcrusher from rc4wd, but the OD is 3.55" ,y model calls for 3.3", I think it will be close.

I am planning on a Tamiya 3 spd and maybe an rc4wd 2speed as a transfer case.

I did get the frame put togather, and the tranny in position. Started on the cab yesterday. This is my first try at styrene, so I hope you are not as critical as I am myself. I have the floor positioned, then it was late and had to get ready for the school thing.

DieselKid
04-11-2011, 06:39 PM
That's true craftsmanship right there, very cool use of wood!:)

Nice work,
-Alex

russisloud
04-11-2011, 07:18 PM
your wood models are amazing!

Car5858
04-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks everybody, saw a problem with the frame after I posted. The redesign is finished now I just have to make some more parts.

tc1cat
04-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Great looking model! I think you have the skills to make an exceptional rc model M1000. If you can make one out of wood, plastic and metal should be no problem;);)

Car5858
04-11-2011, 10:19 PM
I will be giving it a try, may take awhile as I learn new things and remember some things that I have forgotten.

doodlebug
04-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Hey Carl, check out the big lorry blog site and do a search, I think there's more picture's in archive's http://www.roadtransport.com/cgi-bin/mt/mt-search.cgi?search=oshkosh+HET+1070&IncludeBlogs=22
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.

Car5858
04-12-2011, 01:09 AM
That is a cool site, I visited that one awhile back. This is a new model than the one I am building, but thanks for the info.

Car5858
04-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Little bit of an up date, I started cutting material for the main cross members. Then had a resaw job come in that was a rush.

I did manage to get the rear suspension designed, Tyler will be making the bag assemblies for me, Thanks Tyler.

Here is the layout.

rockNmayhem
04-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Carl it looks like you nailed that suspension geometry right away. Renderings look great and I am proud to have some products for you on your truck. It will look awesome when it all comes together. Can't wait to see some more progress on this beast. :D

Car5858
04-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks Tyler, I have been in the shop playing with my drill press that I converted into a mill. Milled out the rear cross member. I will post a pic later.

I have to make the air bag mount next before I install the cross member.

rockNmayhem
04-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Hey Carl that mount and rear frame there looks good already. I have the lower set of your bags done tonight and I will be getting the tops done tommorow and have them ready to go to you by thursday if I can. Hope you're about ready for them.

Car5858
04-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks Tyler, that will be great. I have 5 more mounts to make for the bags. I haven't started on the front supports so far. I will be back on the build this weekend.

Car5858
04-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Made some progress this afternoon, made the axle supports, changed the design a bit so I can mount the shocks inside the frame like the 1:1. I have the front support side frames started but not finished (need to bend them).

Its amazing what you can do with a bandsaw, drill press, and a set of good files.:)
here is the axle support.

Car5858
05-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Made a little more progress this afternoon.

I will be changing out the socket head cap screws for button heads. I need the scoket heads for the crossmember installation.

Attached the rear section frame mounts and axle supports. Used a .125 punch to help align the parts. Worked pretty good.

One thing I do not like is that the aluminum gets marked easily. I will have to disassemble everything and clean the parts up after everything is worked out.

Thanks for looking

rockNmayhem
05-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Progress is lookin good Carl. Your bags should be there shortly so you can have a rolling chassis. Can't wait to see them mounted up on this great frame. Should look right at home.:D

Car5858
05-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Progress is lookin good Carl. Your bags should be there shortly so you can have a rolling chassis. Can't wait to see them mounted up on this great frame. Should look right at home.:D

It will be awhile before I get a rolling chassis. I have to cast the axle housings and the tires. Still waiting on the rims, then I will have to make the drive axles. Not looking foward to that:(, I also ran out of 2-56 bolts today.

The good news is that exams are over and I get a break for 3 weeks before the next batch of students come in for summer classes.

fhhhstix
05-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Looks good car and taking your time is a good thing it will give you time to think about it and get it exactly how you want it.

Travis

Car5858
05-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks Travis, although this is my first build, you guy's inspire me to do better.

Thanks for looking

Car5858
05-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Well classes are out till June, the only problem was that my HD was approaited by one of the students. Luck would have it that I backed up the drive last week. No cad drawings were lost.

Anyway, my friend Tyler came through for me on the air bags.:eek::cool::D

Then I realized that I gave him the wrong measurement :o. So I had to do some modifications.

First the product supplied was what I asked for to within 0.004"

I took a trip to the local autozone, and was able to get an end section of hose material for the air bags. As I was compairing the assemblies with the 1:1 I noticed the slight bend in the bag assembly. I cut the new material a little long in case I need to shorten them later. Then I used a dremal fine burr to resize the inside. This worked out pretty good, as I was able to get the bend in the bag assembly.

Next I mounted the bag to the frame mount, and support arm. I used a 2-56 threaded rod and a nylock on the top. The bottom was secured by threading a bracket that is mounted to the support arm. The best part is that it gives me a way to adjust the height of the axle.

I am very happy with Tylers work, since I am a newbee. I can't understand why these bags are not on the other trucks on this great board.

Heres the pics

Had to add the referance pic

Car5858
05-08-2011, 01:22 PM
I installed axle 3's suspension today.

rockNmayhem
05-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Hey Carl those bags look right at home now on your project. Sorry you had to re make the bags themselves but they look great. Can't wait to see this chassis rollin. :D

Car5858
05-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Hey Carl those bags look right at home now on your project. Sorry you had to re make the bags themselves but they look great. Can't wait to see this chassis rollin. :D

Thanks for the hard work you put in I am one step closer in getting to that point.

Finished installing the rear drive suspension. :D

rockNmayhem
05-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Carl that thing is going to be such a beast. What axles are you going to be running on it?

Car5858
05-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Carl that thing is going to be such a beast. What axles are you going to be running on it?

I am going to use some axles that I designed, the internals will from a tlt axle.
I will have to shorten the axle shafts, byt its the challange in it.

I will start making a pattern for casting the axle housings in the morning.

Still don't know what to do for the front leaf springs. I want to stay close to scale, but may have to compramize. If I could find some blued 1/4" annealed spring steel, I would make them myself.

I found some at McMaster Carr, that is 60$ :( I only need 32 inches worth.

So if ya know a supplier that will supply short lengths, I am all ears.

Took this beast up to the hospitle to show my Dad, he was impressed. (first time in 53 years:rolleyes:)

Now he wants out so he can turn the rims.

glorydays24
05-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Fist of all let me just say your wood models are OFF THE CHAIN!!!
And this Oshkosh is going to be one amazing ride...
Just like the real thing, only smaller;)

Big John

Car5858
05-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Thanks, to bad I never kept one of the wooden ones for myself. Maybe the next one, but the RC bug has bitten again and it may be a while.

Car5858
05-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Made the axle master patterns today. Wood sealed with thin CA, sanded and recoated 3 times.

Hos1880
05-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Carl,

I have been reading thru your thread and it is awesome, this truck is on my list of trucks to build once i get two others finished. What thickness aluminum are you using for your suspension brackets. I hope when I get the M26 done to start on one of these thank you for sharing.

Merritt

Car5858
05-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Merritt, the brackets and frame rails are 1/16" thick. Basiclly standard extruded alumnium cut to shape and finished with a file.

I am still learning about how to build them. So far so good, changed my mind about casting the axle housings(it would cost more that the truck itself).

So now I am awaiting some flat stock alumnium. These axles are designed to use Tamiya's diff setup.

Thanks for looking.
Carl

doodlebug
05-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Hey Carl have you thought about casting them yourself? http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/char/index.html

9W Monighan
05-13-2011, 08:44 AM
Made some progress this afternoon, made the axle supports, changed the design a bit so I can mount the shocks inside the frame like the 1:1. I have the front support side frames started but not finished (need to bend them).

Its amazing what you can do with a bandsaw, drill press, and a set of good files.:)
here is the axle support.

That IS some nice hand work. I like it.
On your solid modeling; Is that done with Autocad or Solid Works? I hope I can do that kind of drawing someday.

Car5858
05-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Hey Carl have you thought about casting them yourself? http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/char/index.html

Thanks Neil I will look into that.

That IS some nice hand work. I like it.
On your solid modeling; Is that done with Autocad or Solid Works? I hope I can do that kind of drawing someday.

Steve, I did solid the modeling with AutoCad 2009. First make an orthographic drawing of the part you want to model. Copy that drawing and start a new acad3d drawing, then paste the copied drawing into the new. This way you have all the elements in the proper view. Then you can use the extrude, press pull, subtract combine and 3d rotate commands to finish your shape.

You can get fancy by adding surface textures and rendering to get jpegs like I have posted.

Then use stlout on the command line to create an stl file for export to bobcad or othere gcode generator program that you have.

As for solidworks, I am not that proficent at it so far. (still Learning)

Car5858
05-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Here in Australia we sometimes get large boxes that have "Blue/Black metal packing tape around them. the metal tape is app 1/2" wide and it comes in different thickness. It is great for scale leaf springs after it has been cut down to size.

Thanks OZ

I thought about that also, just haven't located some. I will have to look in the scrap bin when I pick up my order from AAA supply.

doodlebug
05-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Try your local lumber yard or plumbing supply house for banding, look around construction jobsites. The stuff is always laying around.
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug

Car5858
05-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks Neil I will give that a try.

Car5858
05-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks for looking and helping out so far. My materials order came in and I will be able to make some progress now. I hope to start on the front spring assembly soon thanks to Steve for helping on that score.:D

Car5858
05-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Made some progress:D slow going, took two days to make this one, 3 more to make. Still have to resize one axle shaft, thinking about that one.

edwalsh18
05-22-2011, 02:28 AM
Made some progress:D slow going, took two days to make this one, 3 more to make. Still have to resize one axle shaft, thinking about that one.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

..... speechless!

that is amazing work. what tools were used to make that? and what is the overall length?

ihbuilder
05-22-2011, 08:55 AM
:eek::eek: now thats what I'm talking about :eek::eek: great work

Car5858
05-22-2011, 10:27 AM
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

..... speechless!

that is amazing work. what tools were used to make that? and what is the overall length?
Thanks Ed, the total finished length will be 5.25"

:eek::eek: now thats what I'm talking about :eek::eek: great work

Thanks Ih

The tools that I have are: Metal cutting bench top bandsaw, bench top drill press, various sanders and a good set of files. I do have a rotary table 4" that I used to mill the od of the center section. First time I used a rotary table.:cool: The setup was a pain, but it worked in the end.

Car5858
05-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Had some time today, first I resized the axles. :cool: easier then I thought it would be. I cut the axles and used a coupling to extend them. Tied the coupling to the axles with 4-40 set screws. The coupling is 5/16 diameter :eek: I had to drill out the inside of the axle tube to 3/8 for clearence. Was sucessfull on the first try :cool:

Just couldn't resist putting the axle in position. I used some temp wood dowels to align the axle to the axle support beam. Then I made the exterior attachment point. I must say I am pleased with the results.

So I wanted to see what it would look like with a wheel and tire on the end. I used an rc4wd 1.55 rock crusher tire(?) with a 3.5 inch dia.

This just inspired me to continue with more drooling.

Thanks for looking.

doodlebug
05-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! kickin but & takin names

Car5858
05-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks guy's:) I am going to try to get some more done today. Summer session will be starting in June, then I will not have much free time :(

Hos1880
05-24-2011, 09:35 PM
That is absoultely awesome, this is gonna be a beast can't wait to see more:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Merritt

Car5858
05-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks Merritt, no photos today, had to quit early. Hands were starting to cramp:mad: I will get going in the morning.;)

Car5858
05-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Made up another drive axle, still do not know what I will come up with for the input / output pinion covers. I need to make up the steering axles next.

Thanks for looking

BigZracingRC
05-28-2011, 10:53 AM
DUDE! this build is freaking sick! love the aluminum work! keep it up!

Zach

Car5858
05-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks Zach:)

This will be a long term project, I hope to start on the steering axles today.:cool:

Car5858
05-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Since the wether went south, I spent the time modeling the axles in 3d. Came out really well, and shows the way I changed the axle lengths.

Thanks for looking

SmallHaul
05-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Cool build and very nice work!

Car5858
05-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Cool build and very nice work!

Thanks SmallHaul:D

Had some time today, the weather is nice for once this last week.

I made up the rear steering axle. Using parts from a TLT-1 axle I had to shorten the shafts. Tied them togather inside the axle housing with a coupler, then locked in place with 4-40 set screws. Came out really nice, now I have to make the yokes.

Thanks for looking:)

russisloud
05-30-2011, 09:14 PM
your work is just killer man!

very nice

Car5858
05-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks Russ, you guy's have inspired me:D

Tamiya Cowboy
05-30-2011, 10:08 PM
outstanding build this will be a true mechanical work of art..

Car5858
05-31-2011, 12:36 AM
Thanks Paul, just makes me want to build more.:)

Car5858
06-01-2011, 09:14 PM
I got a package from UPS today, :D containing the prototype diff covers. I first modeled them with Acad 2009 3D, then exproted an stl file. This file I sent to a 3D prototyping company for evaluation. Each part cost about 20-25 dollars to produce, but I now have casting masters.:cool::cool:

I did do a temp fit-up, and found that the design of the bearing housing was missing needed reinforcement (exposed internal bearing). So I will have to redesign that part.

Since I did not request a specific color, the parts came in cream color ABS . I did not request a smooth finish due to the extra cost.

Over all the parts are as designed, so 3D printing has come a long way in the last couple years. The parts are a little rough with ridges about .003 inches apart and produces a really nice look (to me).

The service provider was fast with the production and shipped the parts the next day. I cant ask for better than that :eek:

So now you guy's have an idea of what the axles will look like when finished.

If you need to make a one off part for a master or installation I think this is a good alternative to machining for a couple of days.

I have started on the front spring assemblies but not enough progress to show.

Thanks for looking

Carl

Car5858
06-02-2011, 03:58 PM
I test fitted the parts today, :cool: I did find a couple of areas that will need to be modified.

Thanks for looking

sparkycuda
06-03-2011, 11:25 AM
3D Protoprinters are amazingly cool! Are you casting the diff covers in metal or something else? This is a very good build and your workmanship is great. Looking forward to seeing this thing move.

Ken

9W Monighan
06-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Boy, Rapid prototyping really gets the gears turning in my head for my next possible build;)

Car5858
06-03-2011, 02:20 PM
3D Protoprinters are amazingly cool! Are you casting the diff covers in metal or something else? This is a very good build and your workmanship is great. Looking forward to seeing this thing move.

Ken
Thanks Ken, I have not decided on material so far. I have been thinking pewter, but not sure that will hold up. My other thought is JB weld, or liquid metal.

Boy, Rapid prototyping really gets the gears turning in my head for my next possible build;)

Yes Steve it opens up the possibably of parts:rolleyes: :eek:ing isn't it :D

Car5858
06-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Made the molds using mold putty, came out acceptable. Tried casting with JB Weld, and suprise I have some parts.:cool: The parts will clean up with a file and sand paper.

If I have some parts prototyped again I will raise the resoulation. These parts were set on the lowest resoulation for rendering. Although the resoulation does not show in the rendering photo, it will show up in the printed part.

russisloud
06-04-2011, 10:18 PM
wow, for just using jb weld the parts really don't look too bad

Car5858
06-05-2011, 01:49 PM
I have to agree Russ, this is what they look like cleaned up. To bad it takes 30 hours to harden before you can file and sand them.

I also tried smoothing out the molds, maybe that will help with finishing on the next one.

I also rotated the pinion mount 22.5 degrees so that the hardware will have more material for threading.

I also attached the swivel connectors.:cool:

Just a few steps along, classes start in the morning so I will not be able to work on this much during the week for the next two months.

BigZracingRC
06-07-2011, 11:46 PM
That's Crazy! what company printed that for you!?

Car5858
06-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Zach, the company is https://printaproto.com/index.php I think it was a reasonable rate.:)

sparkycuda
06-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Parts turned out great! Excellent detail and overall look is so real. Combination of high-tech (3D printer), low-tech (JB Weld), generous supply of imagination and great workmanship, and we get to see top-level modelling. Well done!

Ken

Car5858
06-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the kind words Ken.

I got a package in the mail the other day, RC4WD Dirt grabber tires. Still waiting on the rims.:cool::cool:

My Dad is out of the hospital and is starting on the rims in the morning (weather permitting).

Hopefully in a few days I will have some more photos to post.

Car5858
06-10-2011, 10:23 PM
The Stamped rims came in from RC4WD today (one bolt missing:mad:). Yes I could not resist the desire to see some tires and rims on this thing.

Mounted the tires on rims, there must be a secret to this part that I haven't figured out so far. The tires wobble slightly side to side as they roll, but not the rims.

As for the rest of the covers I am waiting on more JB weld to arrive:(. I did find out the hard way about mixing. Not enough hardner and the cover is to soft and flexiable :mad:.

Oh well, I will start again in the morning.

sneaky-pete
06-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Wow....you have skills:eek:

Car5858
06-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks Troy

rc_farmer
06-27-2011, 10:09 AM
You are doing a fine job on this build. Those diff covers are amzing.:eek:, excellant craftmanship!

Car5858
06-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks Rob, currently I am awaiting some more parts:( that I haven't been able to spend time on this for the last week.

Will get more updates when the parts are finished.

Thanks for looking and the encouragement.:)

Car5858
07-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Sample rim came in yesterday, :cool: so I set up the rotary table and was going to install the dividing plate. :eek: Not the right reduction, this table has a 1:46 reduction:mad: cant use the dividing plate. Looked around the net for a 1:46 reduction chart:confused: no one seem to have one.

So as an alternative, I wrapped a 1/4 inch wide strip of paper around the rotary table to get the exact circumference, I then drew this up in AutoCAD and divided the legnth by ten with the divide command. Perfect, added an extra 1/2 inch to the length, plotted and attached to the rotary table.

This is the result, the bolts are 2/56 socket head cap screws. I did miss one hole by 1/2 a degree but it is not that noticeable.

So far I am happy. After assembling I found that I have to change the design of the inner hub to allow the locknut to seat properly.

At least I have made some progress.

Thanks for looking
Carl

ihbuilder
07-08-2011, 08:30 PM
looks good , Carl :)

Car5858
07-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks Steve

Took the rim back to my dads and he was shocked that he missed the dimension. He had started on another rim, so the mod will have to wait till he gets the next one done. Luckily Dad only lives 3 blocks away.:cool:

Ken Orme
07-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks Ken, I have not decided on material so far. I have been thinking pewter, but not sure that will hold up. My other thought is JB weld, or liquid metal.

Yes Steve it opens up the possibably of parts:rolleyes: :eek:ing isn't it :D

I know what JBweld is but what is liquid metal?

Ken

Car5858
07-09-2011, 01:12 AM
I know what JBweld is but what is liquid metal?

Ken
Here is a link that explains Liquid metal.
http://www.museumstuff.com/learn/topics/Liquidmetal::sub::Vitreloy

and it is way out of my price range:(

Ken Orme
07-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Here is a link that explains Liquid metal.
http://www.museumstuff.com/learn/topics/Liquidmetal::sub::Vitreloy

and it is way out of my price range:(

Thank you for the info. I will stick with JBweld.

Ken

Car5858
07-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Your welcome, and thanks for looking.

Car5858
07-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Got a call from my Dad last night, He did get a couple more rims done. The problem he had while skip cutting the od, caused the spindle drive pinion to fail, about 3 teeth are missing. :(

I bought this lathe 12 years ago, an Atlas Craftsman 101-21200. Finding parts for the is tough.:mad:

Since the pinion is cast onto the spindle pully, I am going to try to repair the damaged teeth. Still trying to locate the part.

So the rims are on hold for now.

muskater
07-18-2011, 12:06 AM
That's a bummer! good looking build hopefully the machine will be up and running soon

doodlebug
07-18-2011, 01:18 AM
I understand Clausing bought Atlas and they still provide repair part's, try this site.
http://www.clausing-industrial.com/service-std.htm Hope this help's!

Car5858
07-18-2011, 02:37 AM
Thanks Neil, I have talked with them on the phone already. They are searching the warehouse for the part.

So far the repair is holding, we will see how it holds up under a load.

Thanks everyone.

Car5858
07-24-2011, 04:31 AM
Well no luck on repairing the teeth, or finding a new part. I was able to lock the cone pully to the spindal shaft. Just reduces the options of spindal speeds, we can deal with that. Now we are waiting for the heat wave to pass.:(

I did get some parts in, :D pinion bearing covers. I did not think that the abs plastic would hold up to well, and there was an alignment problem. So I redesigned the covers and had them made by the students in the class. One cover was rejected as incorrect.

After deburring and fitting to the covers I drilled the mounting holes. IT went togather pretty nice.
:D:D

One step closer

Car5858
08-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Small update, still awaiting parts maybe they will be finished soon.

In the meantime I designed an 8-71 Detorit in 1/16th amd 1/14th scales.
I have all the parts drawn but still need to dimension them.

One question that I have not been able to answer is how the A/C compressor is mounted.

If any one has some input please feel free to advise me. I was going to post some pdf files but they are to large to post so here are some screen shots.

Smokin Joe
08-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Your ability to build aluminum parts with hand tools is second to none.
I'm inspired to attempt making parts I would not have in past. Your parts show what a artist you are.

I'm convinced now that those how call Picasso a artist have not seen your work! Joe

Car5858
08-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks Joe

lmno01
03-11-2012, 11:24 AM
I have about 2 1/2 years with the Het and they do not come stock with AC in the models we have. The Super Het M1070A1 does but I doubt we will see those for years.

Car5858
03-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Yes that is true. My cousin was Co of transportation Btl. He was the one that got me interested in these trucks. Hopefully I will be able to some more work on this one when Classes let out for the summer.:)

george
03-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Hello Car5858

Your build is Incredible please keep the build pictures coming.

Thanks Again for Your Posting

George

Car5858
03-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks George, it will be a couple more months before I can get back to the build. At least the weather will be warm :)

george
03-17-2012, 12:06 AM
Hello car5858

From your posted pictures of the frame rails are those cross members solid or tubular aluminum and how are they actually jointed to the side rails?

Also what material did you use for the air bags? Is it functional OR cosmetic?

Keep them pictures coming.

Thanks Again

George

Car5858
03-17-2012, 12:26 AM
The cross members are milled from solid stock. Then the 4 top bolts hold the cross members in place. At the same time bolting the axle mounts in place. The air bag mounts also bolt into the rear frame cross member. The material was 3/4" square aluminum stock. (6061)

JoseFL10-4
10-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Is a nice project, want see more pic soon

Car5858
10-06-2012, 03:09 AM
Yes I have been meaning to get some more pic's posted. Illness has pretty much wasted the summer. I will get back on the truck soon I hope.

doodlebug
10-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Yes I have been meaning to get some more pic's posted. Illness has pretty much wasted the summer. I will get back on the truck soon I hope.

Hope you feel better soon! Looking forward to more progress:D:D:D
Cheer's, Neil.

Car5858
10-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks Neil.

george
12-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Hi Car 5858

George from Cold Canada. Long time for us both on this site. I have had health issues also. I look forward to be able to go ahead with this project too but I have to go slow.

I hope you are feeling better because your work is inspiring and infectous!

I need more pictures, getting withdrawl feelings!!!

George

RoadFlyer
04-05-2013, 09:54 PM
I couldn't help noticing the blueprints you have on the chassis. Did you create them or are these available somewhere online? I'm starting my first build and could really use a set of these. Going to be getting a Knight Hauler and considering modifying some of the stock parts. Looking forward to seeing more pics of your project.

Car5858
04-06-2013, 01:42 AM
Yes I drew up the plans. Due to health reasons I have not made much progress on the build.

Espeefan
08-03-2013, 01:04 AM
This is an awesome build. I don't really check the military section of this forum much, but I will now. I have to hand it to you, Car, you've got the skills, patience, and eye for the details. Everything you've made so far looks perfect. Incredible, when you say you are working with minimal power and hand tools. I'll be watching for updates.

skeeter
10-20-2017, 09:33 AM
This is a really awesome looking poroject! Are there any updates to it?

Car5858
02-27-2019, 08:47 PM
Sorry about being gone so long guy's.

Had a bout with Cancer and have been in remission for about 9 months. I lost the internet due to unexpected expenses, and that all worked out. Last summer I was trying to continue the build. I ran into to many problems with the drive train that I made. Alignment issues were the biggest problem.

So I decided to rebuild using wood in 1/14th scale.
Re-scaled the drawings and commenced to building. Some minor changes were needed, but since I had all the parts for the 1/14th scale build. I started the woodworking. I used the Carve wright to make many of the cab panels (this machine is not recommended) I built the tractor and trailer with Walnut, Maple, Holly, redwood and Osage orange.

This was the following result. Sorry I forgot to take the progress pictures you all like to see.

The tractor used a RC4 wd 2 speed trans. Provided a good scale speed in low gear. The trailer was also made of wood Aluminum for the suspension parts. Brass tubing wias used for shocks and Goose neck cylinders.

The Truck came out really nice and was auctioned off for a children's benefit.
Before you ask, the truck brought in 2200.00 for the kids.

Thanks for looking.

Car5858
02-27-2019, 08:50 PM
Second batch of photos

skeeter
03-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Great pics of an awesome & unique build! Hopefully the new owner will have much joy in owning the piece of craftsmanship.

skeeter
03-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Glad to hear your cancer has gone into remission.

Car5858
03-14-2019, 12:58 PM
Thanks, glad you like the truck. The trailer steering was the hardest part to figure out. The Rear 8 axles are steering in proportion to their position.