PDA

View Full Version : New In Town

Semi Crazy
08-20-2010, 01:19 AM
New here and to forums of any kind. Not sure how much I'll be adding to the mix as most of you guys seem to have allot on the ball. I have been collecting toy trucks much of my life and drove and owned big trucks for many years. I gave up the chrome, fame and glory of driving back in '83 after a life changing wreck. After my recovery I drove for a friend for a year or two before calling it quits. It's not like I couldn't drive, I just decided it would be better to spend more time with my family. I felt as though I was living on borrowed time, by all rights, I should have been dead. It seems to have been the right decision because I actually started making good money a few years later and I became very close to my family. At this time my oldest being 35 years old and my youngest is just nine. This is the one I'm lucky enough to spend most of my time with. By the way she can handle those Wedico trucks very well. I am going to show up at the Indianapolis show for the first time this year. Maybe next year I'll bring her.
I first encountered Wedico trucks I believe in 1985. It was a red conventional tractor and round tank trailer. I still have that unit, although it bears little resemblance to it's original build. The first thing I did to it was to cut the cat walk off the polished tank and I moved the axles back as far as I could. It still exists today pretty much as it looked in '85. Today the tractor has been cannibalized to build other units. I guess you could say the tractor is now a ten wheel oval tank truck(pictured). Although the only parts used on the ten wheeler from that original tractor was the cab and drive train. Everything else was used for other units. After all these years I have a total of seven trucks of which four are running. The remaining three are pretty much basket cases I have accumulated and even today I am looking for used parts to finish them. One of them is getting close to a build. It is a Wedico Conventional that has been stretched to a 300” wheel base. I think I'm going to build it up to a heavy rigging and hauling truck pulling my PMD 48' flat bed. Probably still a year or so away from a serious stab at that one. What I'm looking to learn here is what you guys do and use for and electric systems, speed controls and lighting controls if not using the increasingly difficult to locate Wedico systems. I have no experience with the Tamyia trucks. I have seen some pretty serious builds going on here using these as a base. I am looking forward to seeing one in person at the upcoming meet.http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/FlyinLo/Wedico%20Trucks/IMG_0678.jpg

Tamiya Cowboy
08-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Welcome to the board..That is one great looking tanker you have there..And tamiya or wedico .... Ford or Chevy it dont matter there all good.

SmallHaul
08-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Welcome & cool Rig!