PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for YOUR opinion on Postin like a fool!

FreddyGearDrive
08-20-2010, 07:55 AM
There's always a few! Ok! Now I'm not wanting to be a prick! But when I start gettin phone calls & p/m on somthing a member is doing on the board,that's not done in an adult manor. I can become ONE!
So before we take the corrective measures to deal with my newest developement, ( postin like a fool) I would really like to know how everyone feels on this matter.
When the board was first set up,you had to use 20 characters in a post.
After some crying about the limit on postin.I was a nice guy & dropped the # down to 5. Well as you see it didn't take long for some people to abuse the post counting.
So I'm open for some input on this matter before we make it right.
Thanks for your input!
FGD

MadMax
08-20-2010, 08:38 AM
I for one would say YES! up the character #count to around 20-25 so it will Hopefully stop people post padding, just so they think they can get into B/S/T etc a lot faster by taking a ridiculous short cut :mad:

Just my 2p(UK) money LOL
Steve.

CatdrvR
08-20-2010, 08:45 AM
I agree! I have noticed the post count padding which doesn't really matter to me since post count isn't what matters. It's the knowledge they offer. If somebody has 8,000 posts at the end of the first year that were all "nice," I probably wouldn't think much of that person. I think upping the character count isn't a bad idea, but at the same time I don't think it really matters. If the moderators notice the post padding in a timely fashion, then they can take care of it before it becomes a huge problem. I think the character limit should be upped though so posts have more substance. I am guilty of posting simply to compliment the person who built an awesome truck... but I try and offer SOME substance in that compliment. That's how I feel about it. Not sure if it's clear or not. haha

Dan

SmallHaul
08-20-2010, 09:08 AM
I don't really care what my post count is because it really doesn't mean much. But, there are so many times that someone has a really nice build and I want to say "Nice Build" and just compliment them.

How about no minimum on characters per post but... it only adds to your post count if the post is over 25 characters? That would be cool.

ihbuilder
08-20-2010, 12:05 PM
freddy , It dose not matter to me . sometimes I am short for words heck why not just boot em after a couple of warnings if thats all they're doing is typing 400 post with nice,nice build they're not really contributing unless they have a build of they're own or helping others out . I've seen a few like that in other places , gets annoying :mad:

just my blunt $0.02
IHSteve

sparkycuda
08-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Guess I'm just dense - don't understand why some people have to make a big deal about "count" or something else. Some seem to be in this for themselves. Anyway, I like Small Haul's idea of minimum characters before it applies to their count. Sometimes, a "nice build" says all you want; other times calling out specific items that you really like is warranted. I'm so new at this (working on a Komatsu dozer), I appreciate just being able to read the descriptions and see the pictures, with no concern about the counts. On the "previous forum" I was able to buy some items to help me along, so I do have an interest in being qualified to use the B/S/T.

Can the B/S/T forums be read-only for those with low post counts? Once you meet the requirement, then you could actively participate.

BIG THANKS! to Freddy and those who made this forum happen.

Ken Sharp

modelman
08-20-2010, 03:56 PM
I think there should be an AGE LIMIT! Not sure how to control it but I bet kids are the ones just looking for something to do. Maybe everyones age should be displayed?? I like the forum and if everyone is not willing to participate in a positive manner then they shouldn't be allowed.

SonoranWraith
08-20-2010, 06:10 PM
I have been on other work related professional forums where users who post pad like that have those posts deleted by mods/admin. They were also warned then banned for a day, week, and finally permanently if they can't get it. Sockpuppeting is an immediate ban. It is irritating to use the new posts feature in VB to have replies in 30 threads that are one or two words.

Thanks for striving to make the experience better.

Thorsteenster
08-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Yeah, even though I may act like a post ***** at times, I could care less about it.
20 to 25 sounds about right, that pretty much kills "Nice truck!", but still allows for short responses.

Espeefan
08-21-2010, 01:52 AM
Post count? What's that? You know a long time ago I joined a forum called Clodtalk.com. It's still up and running, and it is a vbulletin to boot, as is this one too. They had the same issue, with people just trying to run up their post counts, and I am not sure how they did it, but the offical post count was retained, so members were allowed access to the B/S/T section, but yet the post count under their screeen name, displayed for all to see would show a random number. It was the greatest thing I ever saw on a forum! One guy might have 7,856 posts one day, and the next day it would read -205. LOL It kept everyone guessing, but if you actually took the time to pull the offical stats on a member, you could see what the real post count was.

Regardless, I agree, there should be a character requirement. Lately we all have been posting some one liners, but that's because a lot of the builds posted are one we have seen before on other forums, and we commented on them over there.

With time, you will truly see who is interested in the project because of the skills and techniques used to build it, and the comments they leave, vs. the guys just saying, 'nice build', so they can get the post count up.

rcpuller
08-21-2010, 03:46 AM
Freddy

I would say that the character count should be used. If someone has something thats constructive to post then 20-30 letters are not alot. this should stop spamming for post counts ..

jmho
Jeff

Radiowave Trucking
08-21-2010, 07:44 AM
I'd also say put the charactor count should be 20-25.

Juganought
08-21-2010, 11:23 AM
I don't really care what my post count is because it really doesn't mean much. But, there are so many times that someone has a really nice build and I want to say "Nice Build" and just compliment them.

How about no minimum on characters per post but... it only adds to your post count if the post is over 25 characters? That would be cool.
Didn't even know that you had character limits. I agree with SmallHaul, I would up it too

sneaky-pete
08-21-2010, 11:30 AM
In a way I agree with the post count or #of letters so on.............on the
other hand I'm at work most of the time I'm on here and have to keep it short and sweet.

I like to comment on builds and recieve comments on mine.

There are times when a nice job,good work,or wow will sum it up.

Most of the time I dont have questions or tips,etc.

I do agree when you see someone comment on 30 threads in an hours time.

my 2 cents!

td9clyde
08-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Hey guys i know i am bad on the short comments and complements i am bad at trying to find the words that are of any importance or in any way saticefactory to even compare to the skills of guys and gals on this site

A32Limited
08-23-2010, 09:32 PM
20-25 is fine for me. I don't post on every thread, regardless whether I have input or not, because I don't want someone to accuse me of post whoring, since some guys get pretty quick to jump down another's throat, or so my experience with the internet has been.

FreddyGearDrive
08-23-2010, 09:45 PM
20-25 is fine for me. I don't post on every thread, regardless whether I have input or not, because I don't want someone to accuse me of post whoring, since some guys get pretty quick to jump down another's throat, or so my experience with the internet has been.

It's one thing to say"nice"once on one post. But to say nice on 40 of them in a row,is another. A lot of people say"nice build"all the time, Me included. You can tell if someone isn't acting there age with the posts.
FGD
If someone has a beef with a two word post,just put it on the bottom forum.:D

A32Limited
08-23-2010, 09:47 PM
It's one thing to say"nice"once on one post. But to say nice on 40 of them in a row,is another. A lot of people say"nice build"all the time, Me included. You can tell if someone isn't acting there age with the posts.
FGD
If someone has a beef with a two word post,just put it on the bottom forum.:D

Yeah, I know what you're saying, I'm just paranoid about it, since I hate people calling me out. LOL

Bodyman
08-28-2010, 06:43 PM
freddy,
i dont say much and i dont post just to raise my count. but it would be nice
to view buy/sell untill you have enough to post there.
heck, im still trying to fiqure out how to put photos in her or anywhere else.
my comp skills is lacking
steve

DieselKid
08-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I guess I'm just as guilty as the next member when it comes to simple posts such as "Nice build"..."Great Progress", etc....and let's face it it makes us feel good as modelers to see that sort of response.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with a minimum character limitation for the simple fact that it only makes us better at what we do when someone leaves detailed feedback or asks a question in the mix.

****...worse comes to worse we improve this country's frightening illiteracy rate with an improved vocabulary....too many goll **** abbreviations for words anymore.

-Alex

derailed
08-28-2010, 08:23 PM
good idea

lol
some people abuse the counter
its unfortunate
i think its ok for short posts, but constantly?.......no

glenn

JAMMER
08-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Excuse me foe chiming in I did not say anything on or about the deal with the Garden but I think I will this time. What does a post count have to do with anything on this form. I thought we were going to act like Gentlemen now we are going to be cry babies. It going down the same road again. I try to make my post short and sweet not a novel. It seems there are still some people that need to grow up. Ed P.S. Was this long enough?

tc1cat
08-29-2010, 11:34 AM
I have to agree with Jammer on this one. Lots of times all that is needed is "Nice truck" to make a builder know that you appreciate his work. Putting a count on the characters for the post to be accepted is bull in my opinion. Emails and PMs should be the way to ask ??? and give advise unless you are doing a tutorial for everyone to enjoy.

grumpygrady
08-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Please don't start the forum out like this
i was a member of the garden for a couple of years and didn't post more than 30 posts the whole time
i am a member of scale4x4 and have been since 2008 and has less then 40 posts
the only thing a high post count means is that you can type
so please don't start on how many posts we need to be someone or how many letters your post needs to be worth anything
i have read posts of three words that are more meanfull than other posts that are two pages long that are worthless

wow lots of words for me lol

Mustang
09-03-2010, 11:41 AM
I agree with the last three posts. I really don't see what a post count has to do with anything. A person's one and only post might be just the info I needed or someone can post a thousand times and still not say much.

Bigrigger
09-03-2010, 08:36 PM
*cough, cough* Probie.
lol

Freddy, I would see how it goes with a post count of say, 10 or 15? Then you could change it to accomodate the number of posts.

Trucker, standing by.

oldboy
09-13-2010, 05:41 PM
I agree with Shorthaul zero count to post but minimum to add to count :):)

John

IDontKnow
09-13-2010, 08:03 PM
I agree with the character count, and while compliments are nice to give and receive it does get a little annoying when you see a thread has new posts and all it is is one or two words. Sure I am interested in looking at the other boards where you need .... I think it was 30 posts ..... but I am prepared to do it responsibly and legitimately.
I mean were adults (well most of us problay are) lets behave like them

wedicotrucker
09-13-2010, 08:54 PM
post count realy dosnt mean much. If you have a high post count, that just means you spend more time typing than you do building.

On most of the forums I'm a member of (other than r/c) in order to have access to the b/s/t section you have to be a paying member of the forum.

There is also another membership for "sponsers" i.e. vendors.

My over all opinion is by having a limit on how many words are in a post could chase people away.

rc_farmer
09-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Please don't resort to a word or letter count. Many times all that is needed is a short-to-the point comment.......remember..... use the KISS method

Brian in PA
09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
I agree no character count.

Brian

Vanisle
10-19-2010, 12:24 AM
I have to come down on the side of no character count because I think everyone appreciates receiving encouragement, even if it is brief. This results in people continuing to post substantive info. Haven't we all seen someone post something and then get discouraged if there are no subsequent posts acknowledging their work Of course it is not good if the reply post is abused but I would prefer to see those get dealt with on as needed basis. Like many things, I think granting discretion (in this case to post) should (in theory) work better than rigid mechanical rules.

Richard

Fireman700
11-03-2010, 03:54 PM
I know that this has probably been decided but I agree with the no character count on the posts. I also strongly support the fact that there needs to be a minimum number of posts prior to entering Buy/Sell/Trade as there are some who just want to get there to try and sell stuff and never contribute. While I am not currently a builder because of the lack of time, it is great to be able to see what others are doing and then tweak a built rig that I have through working with, talking to, or buying small things off each other.

Everything is a fine line to keep people from padding posts to quickly get to 10,15,20,25, or 30 because a smiley isn't a substantial post. It is a hard task that the board moderators will have to protect members, and maintain a forum that is fun and friendly

Longhair
11-26-2010, 03:27 AM
I am sure that there is a way to show/hide post counts based on the group the person viewing is in. It would be done in the Control Panel settings and if it isn't standard by now, I am sure there is a modification/hack that someone has come up with.

spudd
12-16-2010, 03:23 PM
i am a person of few words.....i have learned to say as little as possible but make your words count.what difference dose it make how many words you use to make a point as long as you get your point across

that's just my opinion

Dreamweaver
12-17-2010, 02:39 AM
Ok, I have been on a few forums and I don't think that anyone on any of the 3 forums i have been on can say that I don't contribute. I know how to use the forums but that is really it, I don't know how they work or any of that stuff. The first time I heard the term "Post *****" was while talking to Rick (Rogue) on the phone. I had commented on every thread that was listed on the "New Posts" tab.

I really have no idea what a "Post *****" is. I thought the reason for having a forum like this was to communicate between people of a like mind. When I see something I like, dislike, or want to know more about, I comment.

So please tell me what is the definition of a Post *****?

What does having a high post count do for you?

What is B/S/T?

I never gave any mind to how many posts I make. Like I said I see something I want to comment on then I do so. If I have something to share than I do so.

I personally have not ran into anything as of yet that I can not access on this forum. (am I missing something good, like a secret RC society, with rings and special chants:rolleyes:)

I get much more enjoyment out of seeing a high "View" count on my threads than I do seeing any type of post count. To me the more people look at my work the better I feel about it. Regardless of the comments they make, or even if they don't make them.

For instance, if you look under the Highway trucks and trailer section as of yesterday anyway my thread for my build had the most views. That makes me happy because that means that people what to see what I am doing and what I am going to do next. If they comment then great, if not, well I can live with that, there are a few guy's that I think follow my build and take the time to comment. I appreciate all of them. They help me with their comments, even you JAMMER.

So in short I guess I would have to say that if a post count will keep me from going someplace on this forum then NO I would not agree with one.

As for the word count, well as I pointed out above even a "Nice Build" is appreciated. And the occasional "WOW" well hey I have done some things that are perfectly acknowledged with a simple "WOW". So I guess the word count thing would be a no as well.

Of course as I said if I had some idea of what all this stuff meant or did for someone than my mind could be changed.

I know I don't have to worry about the short messages coming from me because I can be long winded most times.

-Mike

Losiassociated
12-17-2010, 05:07 AM
I dont care how you do it Freddy,
I think the count is a stupid thing also.
Also I would like to give a idea too. How about people like myself and others with multi builds and what not make it one location and one space per person like a build thread but house all the builds in one location per person sorta like Tamiya Cowboy did in scale with all his builds in one spot.

Greg

Tamiya Cowboy
12-17-2010, 06:04 AM
"POST *****" is someone who just posts to get a post count. Now over here we had a problem with a few members you would go into a section and see 15 threads that they posted in in a row and they were one or two word comments like "Nice" or "Sweet" or "WOW" just to raise there count so they could use the buy sell trade. Now over on scale your post count will build you a truck the more posts you make the better the truck is we were going to do that with semis but we backed out of the idea as we thought it just helped cause the problem. We want guys to comment but really say something and mean it..

Now Greg doing one thread for all builds.. I have done that in the past for 5 years on many boards and it really does not work well.. I normally have 2 to 3 builds going at one time as I get board on one and if they are all in the same thread it is very hard to up date and guys dont know what you are updating and when it really is sort of a mess the one way that way would work well is if a builder would have a section to there self but that too would be a mess in its self with the number of great builders out there the fourm would not be a community it would be a bunch of small community's in one large one.

Builders like you Greg that do many builds I dont call that 'POST WHORING" I just call that building and that is great your not just trying to run your numbers up you are just doing your thing building for the love of it and that is what it is all about..

TC..

Losiassociated
12-17-2010, 08:23 AM
"POST *****" is someone who just posts to get a post count. Now over here we had a problem with a few members you would go into a section and see 15 threads that they posted in in a row and they were one or two word comments like "Nice" or "Sweet" or "WOW" just to raise there count so they could use the buy sell trade. Now over on scale your post count will build you a truck the more posts you make the better the truck is we were going to do that with semis but we backed out of the idea as we thought it just helped cause the problem. We want guys to comment but really say something and mean it..

Now Greg doing one thread for all builds.. I have done that in the past for 5 years on many boards and it really does not work well.. I normally have 2 to 3 builds going at one time as I get board on one and if they are all in the same thread it is very hard to up date and guys dont know what you are updating and when it really is sort of a mess the one way that way would work well is if a builder would have a section to there self but that too would be a mess in its self with the number of great builders out there the fourm would not be a community it would be a bunch of small community's in one large one.

Builders like you Greg that do many builds I dont call that 'POST WHORING" I just call that building and that is great your not just trying to run your numbers up you are just doing your thing building for the love of it and that is what it is all about..

TC..

Well said,
I agree with you 100 % but I didn't relize the problem in doing it that way it looked so cool the way you could find all your build in one spot.

Greg

SonoranWraith
12-17-2010, 08:41 AM
One way to let people find your builds is put links to your build threads in your signature. I see this on lots of forums. If you like that poster, you can visit their threads.

Dreamweaver
12-18-2010, 02:30 AM
One way to let people find your builds is put links to your build threads in your signature. I see this on lots of forums. If you like that poster, you can visit their threads.

That's what I did!!:D:D Wow great minds think alike.

Right under my truck pic in my signature it says "View My Build Here" I think it works anyway.

-Mike

SonoranWraith
12-19-2010, 11:01 AM
That's what I did!!:D:D Wow great minds think alike.

Right under my truck pic in my signature it says "View My Build Here" I think it works anyway.

-Mike

Yup! Once you have several, or if you name your builds like some guys, you can use that alias for the link.

Heavy Metal Doctor
03-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Personally, I don't care how it's handled. I frequent a few boards that use minimum character counts and have no problem with it. Sometimes I end up posting a "plus 1" to second an idea and then just add "eighteen characters" to fill the requirement. I understand some simple one or two word respsonses that are still appropriate.

Just an idea to add - over on a local RC board for my area, you are able to veiw, but not start threads in the BST section until the admins approve you. That way, anyone can post any number of one word repsonses and it has no effect if they are just signed up for another place to try and sell thier stuff. Of course, being a local one or 2 state regional / club sort of forum there's not so much traffic as this board gets, so it might not be a realistic option here.

texken
03-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Well, (from Northwest) I agree I'm not a Truck Builder,(yet) just making a Crane, but I have received a lot of input, and help.
But I have started to find going thou a long list to get to the last two words(nice job) did not give me any new input.
So I now start with the last # say 1 to 12, I start with 12, and see new input first, then go to #11, if seen before I am up to date, missing all the (good Jobs input).

Thank you to:
FreddyGearDrive
Administrator

Nice Job LOL just had to say that.

TEXKEN

scalelover
03-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Kind of late with my input here but too me either way works. Constructive comments come in many ways including simple comments.

One idea I was thinking of, on Facebook and some other places they simply have a tab you can click to say " I like this" if that feature was added it may hinder some of the quick responses. Going this route would have just a tab at the top of the thread that would say "X" amount of people like this. Very simple very clean and it does not take up a lot of space. And not count it toward the post count.

Just my 2 cents on a fix for the issue. This way there is no minimum and it may help with the posts.

--Dan

CrimsonCorsair
03-19-2011, 10:00 PM
New to the boards - so I thought I would give you my input as well. I have been snooping around for some time before I actually joined. Part of the reason I joined, even though I do not have an RC truck yet - was to get access to the signatures and sections that I did not have access to as a non-member. THEN I read this post. I was truly in a pickle. I could have commented on every build running and had access fast as can be - or, I could comment where appropriate and wait until I had enough posts. I can tell you the wait for the signatures was difficult but not too bad. However, I am still short of seeing the sale stuff, and that is something I am very interested in as I am collecting the parts I want for my build. So, does the system work? I think it works just like every other system out there - there are those who will follow the rules, and there are those that will try and find a way around them. Trying to change the rules to keep out the latter will only result in more restrictions on the former. Kind of like the 'When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns'.

There is my opinion - and one more post to the 30 I need. :)

glorydays24
04-08-2011, 11:10 PM
OK guys, I know i'm new here, and i've done the same
without even thinking about it. But I don't believe in
shortcuts, and i'm willing to go by the rules. Yes there
are some items I would like to get from B/T/S, but I will
go with the flow.

Big John

fhhhstix
08-24-2011, 06:17 PM
I wish new members would take the time to read the stickies!!!!

Travis

Snowman
08-26-2011, 07:25 AM
There have been a lot of "nice build" type post count bumping posts, seems like it's just done to get into the bst. Maybe we could encourage new members to at least contribute by starting a thread on what they plan to build if they have no trucks yet.
It's frustrating to see a load of old threads brought back up making you think there are updates to the build when all it is is a post saying "nice work" or whatever.

Smokin Joe
08-26-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm new here. Fresh perspective. Freddy, you do a great job. Most over comments are left by the same people. Postin like a fool are the ones who post on same thread 5--10 times.
Also the 'I saw Tom at the diner and he showed me his truck body etc.

Please, please use spell check! It makes us look smarter and I won't have to
use my decoder ring as much. Joe

derailed
08-26-2011, 10:51 PM
well my posts are very low
47...well, 48 with this one
i would have liked to get in to the b/s/t not for selling but to buy parts for my builds
i dont even remember what the post requirement is anymore, it's been too long
i expect, i would only qualify in 4-5 years at the rate i'm going
because of this, i buy elsewhere
most of my parts purchases are in ebay
you notice, i rarely post
i just don't have the push to bother
most of my builds, i've never shown to anyone
obviously, i'm not posting to boost my count

glenn

Hanson50
08-27-2011, 07:31 AM
I agree with Derailed, I have been on the forum for almost a year, and I am only up to 21 post. It would be nice to be able to see what everybody has to sell and be able to buy. Maybe you can set the post limit for only people who want to sell or trade.
Paul H. Hanson

gun
08-27-2011, 10:56 AM
for what its worth maybe we should do away with the post count on b/s/t/ and it would put a stop to this problem or it would create a new one ! it kinda sad that most of us are adults and still act like children and we even have to have this sticky on the board !!!!!
I for one don't like to get on the board and click on hi way trucks and see that one person commented on every thread.
JUST GROW UP PEOPLE !!!!!!!!! STOP BEING FOLLOWERS AND START BEING LEADERS.
if you know someone who is just trying to get their count up call them up and tell them to stop being a jack ***.
Ok i am off the soap box now so lets stop wasting time with things like this and build something bad azzzzzz

fhhhstix
08-27-2011, 11:12 AM
You are right Shane it would be great if members would show respect for the forum but we have a problem they also do not read. I brought up this thread having hopes a new member would read it and understand what they were doing was not apriciated but he didn't and now he is going to force us to make changes that will affect a lot of the members and yes I know some will not think it is fair, but it will be fair for all.

Travis

ihbuilder
08-27-2011, 12:14 PM
The problem is ,there are people who read BUT they choose to ignore and/or break the rules , And people who just flat out don't read anything that says RULES becouse they THINK they know what they are :rolleyes: then you get the type who are so excited to see all the building going on that they can't help themselves which is OK but try to to say alittle more or comment on different threads/builds you like at different times . Besides when you post on 10+- threads at once are you realy reading them :confused:

gun
08-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Travis you have a hard job ! I have a saying I use at work a lot ( someone has to be in charge or nothing will get done !!! Its to bad we all have to suffer because of a few but some of use are big boys and can take what we get because of the others !

Ken Orme
08-27-2011, 03:55 PM
I joined this group in June this year as I am building a 1/16 scale front end loader on a very strict budget. My strict budget is called "SS" The loader is a freelance design and scratch built. I have taken photos as I go along, for my records and I would like to post them here. My problem is the photos are 1.8mb in size and to post them they must be 19.5 or smaller. I have tried 3 different programs and not one of them will do what I need.

I would like read the "buy and sell" posts but I think this is only the 22nd for me. I have a long way to go. As far as the number of posts being listed I think some of the people do not have a life.

Ken

BRICKNICK
08-27-2011, 09:40 PM
I honestly could care less about my post count, I post a few times a day due to my interest in the hobby, lack of pace at work and nothing more. Most of my comments are stupidly simple I.e."nice job". I don't claim to be a world renown writer. Sometimes simple messages say it best, I.e."Nice truck, love the color". How else would you say that? If i see a build I really like I tell that person, so if some people feel that a person shouldn't incourage a fellow builder or compliment their work, why are you here posting it and showing it? I don't get it.....

fhhhstix
08-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Well if it is a nice truck include why you think it is a nice truck. Do you like the make, model, color, axle configuration, or a specific detail of the truck. But to get back to the meaning of this thread it is about the person who post "Nice truck" or "Great job" 10 to 20 times in one day. Do you honestly think they completely read the all of the threads they responded to, well I will answer that for you NO. so if some people feel that a person shouldn't encourage a fellow builder or compliment their work, why are you here posting it and showing it? I don't get it..... This whole thread is about members post whoring, the comments left are to boost their post count not to be a valuable part of the forum. No where did anybody say we weren't encouraging people to build so I don't know where you got that idea, but we do encourage people to use some respect when posting. There is nothing that pisses members off more than seeing a new post on an older thread they are watching waiting for an up date to go and see a post saying "Nice job" or asking what color will it be when the builder told you on the first page but the guy posting did not bother to read the first 2 pages.:cool:

Travis

BRICKNICK
08-28-2011, 01:42 PM
This whole thread is about members post whoring, the comments left are to boost their post count not to be a valuable part of the forum. No where did anybody say we weren't encouraging people to build so I don't know where you got that idea, but we do encourage people to use some respect when posting. There is nothing that pisses members off more than seeing a new post on an older thread they are watching waiting for an up date to go and see a post saying "Nice job" or asking what color will it be when the builder told you on the first page but the guy posting did not bother to read the first 2 pages.:cool:

Travis

No trust me I understand what your saying and i agree with you, there are multiple builds I have been following, just to see the expected update is a dumb post about the color or something mentioned earlier in the thread they didnt even bother to read. I just thing its a tough topic, its a double edged sword. How do you differ between the serious guys that do post a few short statements(like my self) and post whores that just want to get to b/s/t section. Maybe just open the bst section to avoid them post counts. I dunno.

CustomRCmodels
08-28-2011, 04:19 PM
sure it makes you feel good if you get , even just a short , positive reply to your building thread or post , but on the other hand it makes some posts/threads are also awful long , since you almost have to search for the sections of the threads which include the interesting portions , especially with these guys with the big banners and signatures .
I am considering myself as one of the old-farts in this hobby ( some of you have started since you struggled over my website years ago ) , but even so , I am one of them with still a very low post count , even thought being one of the first members on this forum , but did already reach the minimum post count required. If this post-count would have been higher , it wouldn't have bugged me , since we do need some control here otherwise things just end up like in other forums , getting out of hand.
These "nice-build" and such short posts could be also done via PM's, or as a visitor-message on the members section , which would make the actual building threads shorter and not so cluttered up .

wayne9428
09-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Like in life there are always people who make it bad for everyone else that causes problems and or change. I people and it's what we do. Maybe there should be some sort of limit for newbies like me who enjoy looking at the art work that you guys put together I wish that I have the same experience that you have and that the art you displaycan be passed on to younger kids because if I could do it my newphews would love it. When I watch it on you tube they watch it with me. So I just what I'm saying is don't stop us from watching and learning what these guy create. One day when possible when I can afford it that you will excepet me and many others with open arms.

Lil Giants
09-14-2011, 01:41 AM
I joined this group in June this year as I am building a 1/16 scale front end loader on a very strict budget. My strict budget is called "SS" The loader is a freelance design and scratch built. I have taken photos as I go along, for my records and I would like to post them here. My problem is the photos are 1.8mb in size and to post them they must be 19.5 or smaller. I have tried 3 different programs and not one of them will do what I need.

I would like read the "buy and sell" posts but I think this is only the 22nd for me. I have a long way to go. As far as the number of posts being listed I think some of the people do not have a life.

Ken

If you tried loading your photos to photobucket.com, you can click "edit photo" on each picture and resize the picture to the desired viewing size, such as 800x600 pixels, which is what most ppl are posting with.

I believe, although it has been a long time since I messed with my own settings on photobucket, that you can preset the size of your photos that will always be loaded to your photobucket account no matter what size they are coming from your camera/computer.

Check it out, let us know if you still have a problem & we'll try to work it out for you. I for one would like to see your scratchbuilt loader. :cool:

Lil Giants
09-14-2011, 01:58 AM
The double edge sword really just boils down to common sense posting... as in, don't pollute the forum every day with just one - two word postings.

Try to think of a question to pose to the author of why or how he did something and be sure to read whole thread before hand incase your knee-jerk thought has been asked & answered already.

That's all we're asking here... use the forum respectively for the informative communication tool that is for the betterment of the hobby for everyone. :)

OhioFarmboy
09-14-2011, 10:51 PM
To be honest,I hate this deal that you have to have x amount of posts to view the BST section..As a long time member of the PMD board ( I was the 2nd member to join it ) and i checked out the board almost daily and my post total was maybe 20-25 in all those years..I'm just not the type of person that posts a lot,nor coment on every little thing.But at least back then when i did comment,it was a sincere comment.Now i feel like i have to make up a bunch of crap posts to up my total posts.Does that make me a more trustfull poster?.So now i am off to pad my post total to be a trust worthy reader and poster.Randy.

OhioFarmboy
09-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Oh and i have been around from back when the Yahoo Group was the big thing with Joe,my fellow farmer from way up north and Wild Willy just to name a couple.In fact i believe i have a photo album there,or at least i used to.Randy the Original OhioFarmboy®.

fhhhstix
09-14-2011, 11:12 PM
You are missing the point. The post count is to show you want to be a contributing part of the forum not some one who is just here to sell off their stuff or to try and take advantage of a member. Some have made us put these rules in place and I know some won't like it but we have to do it to help protect the forum and its members.

Travis

OhioFarmboy
09-14-2011, 11:49 PM
A member might have a post count of 379 and still be a crook,it's not like Ebay's feedback number..I can't even browse the for sale ad's whether i am interested or not..Maybe by this time next year i will have contributed enough BS to be allowed to look..BTW i see your point,but i still say it's buyer beware whether it's on here or at a store.Randy.

Lil Giants
09-15-2011, 12:37 AM
We are re-writing the the bst rule as we speak, trying to make it so as not to penalize those who may wish to see and/or buy from it, but rather restrict those who only joined RCT&C for the sole purpose to use the bst as a free marketing agent for "their" stuff or a scammer looking for new victums. Be patient, some changes will be made in the next day or so that I'm sure the majority will be in favor of. :)

Ya know Randy, I was #7 to the Garden and if I had taken your approach to using internet forums in the same manner, where do you suppose this hobby in North America might be today?

You've got trks, you built them too and they turned out pretty fine looking to boot! Get off your azz and start contributing some of your knowledge ya lazy buzzard, who knows who may benifit from your own ingenuity of doing things. :D

The 1st ever english RC trk/constr forum in exsistence is still around Randy, them were the good ol' days, eh? :D
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rctrucksandconstructionequip/
I get two or three "Requests to Join" every month and I email them a direct link to this forum, as well as Scale4x4, the two coolest north amercian rc trucking forums anywhere on the net. :cool:

WhiteWolf McBride
04-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Joe...

Did the rule ever get re-written? You might wanna make a note somewhere if it HAS been...

And you and Willy (amongst others) probably remember me. I was one of your mods back on Yahoo, bought assorted parts from both you and Willy, and finally am getting my health in line.

Things have come a long way since we were ~thinking~ about front-drive/steer axles (and they just released the TLT) and adapting the semi gearbox to do fore/aft drive shafts, like the old Bruiser boxes.

I hope to contribute more as the weather warms up, and I can get out and do photo-shoots and work outside (small apartments bite bigtime!)

WhiteWolf

Lil Giants
04-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Yes it was Patrick! ;)

Forum Rules (top of the forum)

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=2791

(scroll down a ways)

": All members to the forum are allowed viewable privileges to the Buy/Sell/Trade forum immediately upon registration. But a member must be registered for 3 months & have 50 posts before they're allowed to SELL anything on the forum. Just to be thorough, this means NO wanted or for sale/trade threads are to be posted anywhere else on the forum before or after you've gained access to the Buy/Sale/Trade forum!

And yes indeed the hobby has evolved immensely since the Yahoo Group days, most specifically the last three yrs with a fast growing membership & many locally highly skilled craftsman getting involved by making parts for others to improve all of our models. :cool:

Howie
09-17-2016, 10:46 PM
I agree no character count.

Brian

I think its going to be too much time and trouble for you for what its worth. This is should be a fun fun fun site.