PDA

View Full Version : Gluing tires?

SmallHaul
08-20-2010, 09:34 PM
I ordered some Fulda tires for my Mack and need to glue them onto my aluminum wheels when they arrive. Has anyone found a good glue that you can actually remove the tires from aluminum wheels once they need to be replaced?

9W Monighan
08-20-2010, 10:36 PM
HMM why would you need to glue tires on?:eek:
I have a urethane small seam sealer that we use on our window frames. That stuff is really sticky but it really doesn't dry all the way. That stuff may work.

CorbettTrailers
08-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Hey Scott, I've been mini trucking for just a short time. I've only used the stock tamiya wheels and tires and I also have my front tires full of BB's and I don't have a problem with the tires slipping. I also got a Trailer off ebay and the tires are glued, It looks like crap. Just my opinion.

SonoranWraith
08-21-2010, 01:29 AM
I'd try running them unglued first then decide. If you do need glue a drop or two of thin CA will be enough. You can use an applicator to get it on without getting it on the side of the tires. Out of the bottle, you will get some on the tire in my experience. On a beater who cares, but scale builds...yuck. As for removal, cutting or boiling will work.

rcpuller
08-21-2010, 04:02 AM
the best stuff to use that is removable is the product called GOOP...we use it on the pullers and it holds up real well YET the tire is removable....

SmallHaul
08-21-2010, 06:58 AM
HMM why would you need to glue tires on?:eek:

:D Monighan is saying this because he saw my Mack DT have a front tire twist off the rim carrying a full load of dirt.:)

Rcpuller, is goop the same as shoo goo? I'll give it a shot.

Hemi1966
08-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Those Fulda tires are much softer than Tamiya originals, so they come off the rim easily especially when turning under heavy load. I have Fulda Crossforce tires on my 10x8 Scania tipper and at first I did not clue them on the rims, but pretty soon I noticed that I need to do that :rolleyes:. They also had tendency to spin on the rims when the truck got stuck like in the picture;)

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k471/Hemi1966/Scania%2010x8%20tipper/55.jpg

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k471/Hemi1966/Scania%2010x8%20tipper/66.jpg

IDontKnow
08-23-2010, 09:55 AM
If you have to glue the tyres on, only glue on the inside of the tyre and rim that way if you are a little messy (like me) the outside of the tyre stays clean. Using the Fulda tyres and super single rims on my king and it was regularly peeling the tyre of the rim on hard cornering.

9W Monighan
08-23-2010, 10:40 AM
I don't have any trucks, but why don't the mfgs come up with pneumatic tires? And Modelman was looking for special size tires for his proposed rock truck. I think the tire world should be explored further. After seeing Scott's trucks for the first time and this was my first time seeing any of these size trucks, the only flaw were the tires, traction and load carrying ability. Everything thing else worked perfectly. Can the rims be made to clamp the tires on? Not like bead locks but internally out of site. I guess if I ever get a truck I'll need to explore all options. Has anybody ever used the salesman sample tire ashtrays? Not on road trucks but on loaders and offroad rock trucks. I have one in my collection of a General loader tire that has tread on the outside and smooth inside. These are far and few and just getting one is a challenge let alone 4 or 6.

Espeefan
09-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Ari, that is a nice look Scania! Even if she is bogged down in the sand and leaning over. :D

Izzy
09-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Ive been running Fuldas on standard tamiya rims full of BB's - never pulled one - doesn't slip either. But these newer rc4wd tires are much softer - not sure what to expect from those??

fhhhstix
09-05-2010, 01:39 PM
I ran a set of the new RC4WD tires at Indy and I was very impressed with the traction. They were on my T800 with no BB's and no glue the truck pulled my TK70 trailer up the steep end of the bridge no problem it didn’t even spin the tires. I had a problem with the fulda super singles coming off the rims till I filled them with BB"s they have to soft of a side wall so before I would glue a tire I would fill it with BB's if I needed traction or put foam in it to stiffen it up so it can not roll of the rim this is why the new RC4wd tires come with foam in them.