PDA

View Full Version : Spaz Haulers

Spaz
05-04-2011, 03:08 AM
Just wanted a place on here to show a couple of conventionals I have been working on. I have been in the hobby for along time but have just started with the semi trucks.

Spaz
05-04-2011, 03:10 AM
I started with a stock King Hauler with MFU and trailer legs. I had never seen one in person and did not realize how short the KH was, so I ordered some longer rails.

Spaz
05-10-2011, 04:57 AM
The first set of frame rails I bought were from Joe's. I wanted to stretch it out to 26". When I purchased them I did not know they were not the same size as the Tamiya rails. I filed down the rail so the box and tank mounts would fit. They also have a very slab side look to them, the corners are squared off. It was defiantly a custom look. I wanted a more traditional frame and found Freddy's rails. I ordered a set of the same length. I had to do a similar treatment for the box and tank mounts to fit. I also used a couple of his cross members. They seem stout.

Spaz
05-10-2011, 04:59 AM
I also got a set of Freddy's boxes. I still need to polish out a bunch of the aluminum parts that I have. I used the stock Tamiya servo mount from the motorized leg set for the trailer. I mounted it from the under side so that I could better conceal it.

Spaz
05-10-2011, 05:00 AM
I have a MFU in this one but did not like the way the control panel box was not the same size or shape as the other step box. I put it in the sleeper. The switch that is resting above the battery is connected to the coupler micro switch. It allows me to run it as if it always has a trailer. I had planed to control it from my remote by using a rx controlled switch but have not gotten to it yet.

Spaz
05-10-2011, 05:02 AM
Even though I am sure it is unnecessary, I have been running the stella metal helical gears. Probably just just because they look really nice, even if you can not see them once they are in the truck. I also am using a bunch of aluminum parts from rcdamper and rcvincent on ebay. The aluminum bumpers I really like. The chrome started falling off my original bumper before I removed it from the parts tree. They are almost exact copies of the plastic parts. I don't like how the parts are anodized silver. When I am able to I will polish them out to a shine. Speaking of shine, I also got a drop visor from Stepside and it was like a mirror.

Spaz
05-10-2011, 05:03 AM
I am also using a set of fenders from PMD. I used hot glue to hold a tube on the fenders and used the post that came with them on the frame. I drilled and taped the tubes to hold a set screw so that I could position them and so that I would be able to remove and replace with tools verses more glue.

Spaz
05-10-2011, 05:04 AM
A couple more pictures before I start in on my Knight hauler. The lowbow is one I got from Joe's. My other trailer is just a Tamiya flat bed pup trailer. I put a box on it and a piece of cloth to look like a tarp and it is not too bad. It is odd that they make them so short.

Spaz
05-10-2011, 05:06 AM
I have also added a set of RC Channel axles. I have a RC4WD rear axle. I was fairly unhappy with it. The threads were stripped out. As I was taking it apart to put the Tamiya parts into it, there were several screws that just turned, I have seen faux screws on some of their other products but after I got it opened I saw they were just striped. I did not contact RC4WD so I can not really complain (very loudly). Still looks better than the Tamiya diffs. I used red locktite and it has stayed together. I have moved it to my Knight hauler. I had not seen the inside of one of these axles so I opened one. Everything looks like it is of decent quality. I have heard of people having problems with these. The ring/pinion gear mesh seems ok. I was thinking if I shimmed the diff I would not have the problems others have had. I did go ahead and buy the replacement gear set just in case.

Spaz
05-10-2011, 05:46 AM
My other hauler is a Knight. I cut the roof/sleeper spoiler off of this one. I used part of an aluminum spinner from a plane as a guide to cut off what i wanted to keep from the spoiler. After I would cut one side I taped it to hold every thing in place. I glued the screw post back where they needed to be and used the only putty I had. After paint I was alright with it. I don't know how realistic it is but I think the stacks should be behind the cab also. I really like the sound of the Knight with a MFU.

Spaz
05-10-2011, 05:47 AM
after paint

pigeonfarmboy
05-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Diggin the flattop Knight!

Dreamweaver
05-11-2011, 02:12 AM
Good looking trucks there.;)

Brian in PA
05-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Thats a nice fleet you have there! I like the custom touches.

Brian

Spaz
05-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Thank you.

JDawg360
02-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Does anyone make the rock guards for the front fenders? Please PM me if you know who does. Thanks!