PDA

View Full Version : Age limit

Cossett
08-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Hi all,

Someone brought up the subject of "there should be an Age limit" the funniest part about that is there are a lot of young girls/guy that build great models of all shapes and sizes, and are wanting to start getting into the hobby, or their parents build them.

When you put an age limit on it you will discourage potential talent to a different hobby or worse, and all because that some people think they are too young.

It is also very easy to put an older age in, to get on the forum.

It's the same as saying trucks shouldn't be on the road and freight should go by rail argument, which we have heard so many times.

Sorry all for that rant I needed to get that of my chest.

Cheers Cossett

Tamiya Cowboy
08-20-2010, 11:21 PM
I agree I have a boy that is 11 and loves to build i would hate to tell him he is not old enuff. But on the flip side we need to police the ones under at least like 14 to keep them in check.

rcpuller
08-21-2010, 04:19 AM
age shouldnt be the end all for membership. after all there are 14 year olds that act more mature than some 40 year olds

Roadmasters
08-22-2010, 05:41 PM
I agree I have a boy that is 11 and loves to build i would hate to tell him he is not old enuff. But on the flip side we need to police the ones under at least like 14 to keep them in check.

Ur hilarious Paul!!!

rcguyfarms
08-22-2010, 06:47 PM
No good for u, probie

CorbettTrailers
08-22-2010, 06:59 PM
I feel there should be no age limit. If a ten year old is smart enough to register here then he deserves to become a member. If they become a problem or they show to be immature, then that kid can be warned and delt with accordingly, as with all members. Unless there is some hidden content I'm missing.
I was told before this is a family based hobby. Can't remember how many children I saw at Jersey and Indy. Next thing you know they'll be there right with us with freshly built trucks with their mom's and dad's. At the meet's, each family can be dealt with according to a child's age. And be restricted of driving due to the price of our build's and their inexperience.
Thanks,
John Corbett

Tamiya Cowboy
08-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Ur hilarious Paul!!!

LOL you like that..That was for you just seeing if you are doing your job reading the threads.

No good for u, probie

Hey thanks for coming to the board Scott.

Roadmasters
08-23-2010, 10:02 AM
John, I agree about the driving for kids, but I think we have to put a stop to kids running around the city at our meets with bruder trucks, it's caused more than 1 accident, I don't mind them running the sandmaster, or loading flatbeds on the loading dock. But when they start getting in the way, or making it unsafe to drive trucks around that's what annoys me.

CorbettTrailers
08-23-2010, 11:17 AM
John, I agree about the driving for kids, but I think we have to put a stop to kids running around the city at our meets with bruder trucks, it's caused more than 1 accident, I don't mind them running the sandmaster, or loading flatbeds on the loading dock. But when they start getting in the way, or making it unsafe to drive trucks around that's what annoys me.

Roger That!

Bigrigger
08-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Well! Sorrrrrrrrry! Where I come from we drive on the other side of the road! And besides, he should have heard me honking!:D LOL

Just kidding! I think an age limit might be a good idea at a meet( if I ever went to one:mad:) for driving on the roads. But, I think there shouldn't be one on the Forum.:)

-Trucker:cool:

Roadmasters
08-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Just kidding! I think an age limit might be a good idea at a meet( if I ever went to one:mad:) for driving on the roads.
:

I wouldn't just put an age limit on it and say "your not 10 so you can't drive", I would say "well, you may only be 8 but let's see how you can drive" and then give them a road test, if they pass they can play, if they fail then they can't. Then it would be fair.

ihbuilder
08-24-2010, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't just put an age limit on it and say "your not 10 so you can't drive", I would say "well, you may only be 8 but let's see how you can drive" and then give them a road test, if they pass they can play, if they fail then they can't. Then it would be fair.

who's truck for the road test ?:rolleyes: aint driven non a my trucks. they might hurt them selves LOL

Roadmasters
08-25-2010, 12:03 AM
Well I'm assuming that if they show up and want to drive they brought their own truck

fhhhstix
08-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Wow probie does that mean you are going to drive yours more! :p :D LOL

Roadmasters
08-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Haha

rcguyfarms
08-25-2010, 09:44 PM
everyone should be included in the driver test, some people still don't know how to drive without standing in the road.

CorbettTrailers
08-25-2010, 10:58 PM
everyone should be included in the driver test, some people still don't know how to drive without standing in the road.

Yea, I myself ran into quite a few shoes and boots. Drivers test should be mandatory for 2011.

ihbuilder
08-25-2010, 11:42 PM
thats okay I'll just run my paystar when that hits the toes they'll move :D

firefighter30
08-26-2010, 04:37 PM
not sure age is a factor we have a young boy at our meets in brookville that can drive better than a lot of us.

Thorsteenster
08-27-2010, 10:38 AM
well, I've never seen anything but pictures from events, so after reading this I spent a few minutes on YouTube. All I can say is WOW, the videos really make me want to get one built! Way better than pictures.

I can definitely understand now wanting proper driving, especially after seeing some of the custom trucks on here.
I don't like an age limit per say, but some demonstrated skills are a must. But perhaps for young uns EPA can be throttled down or trans stays in 1st to at least limit collisions to the low speed variety.

Roadmasters
08-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Great idea thornsteenster (what's ur name?)

Thorsteenster
08-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Great idea thornsteenster (what's ur name?)

Ah, you know I should have put that in my intro.
My name is Thor.
:cool:

Blueshirt
08-28-2010, 02:24 PM
walking behind your truck while your driving it is really annoying........

Roadmasters
08-28-2010, 02:36 PM
walking behind your truck while your driving it is really annoying........

and this has to do with age how?

Izzy
09-13-2010, 07:04 PM
2 sided question as you all have already said - But I agree no age limit for the board - I also believe that parents should play a big role in their kids' on line time though too. As for our "city" driving - it does get nerve racking to be sharing the road with people who are trying to go way too fast and hit almost anything out there. When this happens myself and a lot of others just park their trucks and keep a watchful eye - probably the best alternative - no one really wants to try and parent some one elses kid. But to take a unit that's way more than just a toy and share the road with a basher is not my cup of tea.
Chris

ihbuilder
09-13-2010, 07:20 PM
2 sided question as you all have already said - But I agree no age limit for the board - I also believe that parents should play a big role in their kids' on line time though too. As for our "city" driving - it does get nerve racking to be sharing the road with people who are trying to go way too fast and hit almost anything out there. When this happens myself and a lot of others just park their trucks and keep a watchful eye - probably the best alternative - no one really wants to try and parent some one elses kid. But to take a unit that's way more than just a toy and share the road with a basher is not my cup of tea.
Chris

hear hear , Well said Chris . :) Specially after you put a lot of time into a 1 of

IHSteve

tc1cat
09-14-2010, 08:49 AM
There was one young man at Indy who drove anothers truck on Sat. that did a much better job of driving than a lot of the 'older' people. Granted he was driving someone elses truck but he knew how to drive the truck. He knew more about some of the trucks than I did. Why? He spent a lot of time on the forums! Age is no indication as to how a person drives. Practice is the only way to know how you should drive a truck- just like real ones. This young man also races r/c cars so he has had lots of practice at driving. While I do not like walking behind a truck, it is sometimes necessay when you can not see your truck due to building and other scenery on the layout. This was talked about after last years Indy meet and again before this year. Until we can make a layout that you can see your vehicle from any spot around the outside of the layout, there will always be someone walking behind their truck. When battling r/c tanks or racing r/c cars and trucks, you are not alloyed to walk behing your vehicle. While battling r/c tanks, you can move around the battlefield as there are blind spots but you can not get on the battlefield. You drive your r/c cars and trucks from a fixed postion while racing them.
One last point, Driving a truck fast is not a prerequisit for good driving. I agree with Chris on this point. Many of us stopped running our trucks when others decided to make the layout a race track. Way too much time, money and effort have gone into our trucks for them to be used as bumper cars.
OK my rant on this subject is over.

Lynn

sundance
09-22-2010, 04:01 AM
age limit

Roadmasters
09-22-2010, 06:47 AM
age limit

neccisary?

Stuff
09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
age isnt the answer. its maturity.

wedicotrucker
09-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Thought this was soposed to be a family forum? Nothing sais family fun like an age limit.

Roadmasters
09-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Thought this was soposed to be a family forum? Nothing sais family fun like an age limit.

Were not really discussing about the forum, its more about at meets where there are thousands of dollars worth of equipment rolling around

Texasperry
09-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Folks,
Age does not = Maturity as Maturity does not = skill. With regard to meets of any kind I think the meet organizers should set expectations. Things such as following your vehicle, speed, even equipment requirements. If this is done up front, attendees should know and respect the rules.

I think any Public meet has 2 functions. Gives hobbists a chance to play and to draw potential hobbyists to the hobby.
Nothing gets a person hooked like operating. Too many nay sayers may drive a person away. I think the expectations need to be relaxed a bit. Or, maybe set times for different skill sets. So less experience folks can drive without the threat of ***aging some of the fine models that are in attendance. Or better yet a place to drive away from the "layout" to prove your skills before operating on the layout.

I belonged to a Model railroad club a time back. You had to qualify and get your "engineers card" before you could operate on the layout. Yes there was even a written test. (not promoting this idea just shaeing an extreme one club went to)

Perry

wayne9428
09-24-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't think that there should be an age limit, I think that there should be stage were kids can learn to build their own models and for people like me a novice this will help me and teaching kids something new something they can share with there parents and with other children.

Thorsteenster
09-24-2010, 03:29 PM
I have a hard enough time with my real license......

Brian in PA
09-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Age should not matter. Maturity, ability, and responsibility should be the focus. Is there a maturity limit? Maybe we should limit the age of meet attendees by how old they act and not how old they are?

Brian

sundance
09-27-2010, 09:40 PM
If your worried about your truck so much then keep it parked.
stop being a bunch of cry babies.

Tamiya Cowboy
09-27-2010, 11:05 PM
If your worried about your truck so much then keep it parked.
stop being a bunch of cry babies.

It is not being a cry baby saying that some guys drive too fast at meets and 9 times out of 10 them guys cant drive anyways if they are going slow and 9 times out of 10 they cant hardly build a stock truck so it is BS these guys whipping around the meets running into others trucks..

Thorsteenster
09-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Shoot, whats wrong with having a drivers meet before starting and everyone demonstrate some basic skills of control? As mentioned previously about a train club, issue a "license" for frequent truckers. Just because one is older doesn't equal a good driver.

Leaving the truck parked is just an absurd thing to say, what's the point in even going then? There is a certain expectancy of going to these to be able to drive your vehicles without worry of ***age.
Although really that replicates the real world with an occasional bad driver.....
lol

Edit: Really, *** is blocked? I guess there'll be no discussion of beaver ***s, water ***s, or the Hoover ***.
Come on, it's not even a cuss without an "n" on the end.

sundance
09-28-2010, 08:56 AM
I'll bring some bubble wrap for those who are worried about their little pride and joys. Just remember when we're dead what's gonna happen to our trucks. So lighten up guys. It's only a little fender bender. If someone is driving erratically they should be told to stop (right then and there).

Brian in PA
09-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Well I can speak for everyone here on this board by saying that the time and money one spends on these trucks should be enough for others to be careful around them. Unless you have no respect at all for anyone's stuff could you have the kind of attitude to say "park the trucks or wrap them up in bubble wrap". I'm afraid that this is the wrong attitude or mentality to have in this hobby. If you dont care about your own belongings that is fine, but show others, that have pride in their rides some respect and courtesy! If this kinda of respect isn't shown you might as well be person that would take their kids to a classic car show or truck show and let them finger up the vehicles and climb all over them! Remember, someone had to work hard for what they have, myself included! The last thing I want is a demolition derby at a show because of lack of maturity.

Brian

justinart24
09-28-2010, 04:35 PM
I couldn't imagine if someone hit one of my truck and d a m aged something. I would be super pissed. I am not in a MiniTrucking club or anything, but I would think there should at least be some kind of rules or guidelines setup to minimized any possible d a m ages or any type of altercations.

Thorsteenster
09-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Sundance must drive one of these.....
:D
http://www.amax-toys.com/producer/1/syd//product_e_d/RT-2023.jpg

Brian in PA
09-28-2010, 05:00 PM
:eek::eek::eek:Ha Now thats funny!

ihbuilder
09-28-2010, 06:02 PM
my guess is , will be having smoke bears hiding under the bridge next :eek: (just so they're taking pics and handin tickets ) don't need no safety checks :p. all we need is common curtisy just like on the real road . I.e. safe follow distance , stop at intersections and speed limits (no faster than the slowest truck :p ) For the fast 1's hehheh my wrecker will take care of them :D:p:eek:

IHSteve

Roadmasters
09-28-2010, 08:42 PM
For the fast 1's hehheh my wrecker will take care of them :D:p:eek:

IHSteve

Make shure you dont hit the truck with the boom!!! lol :D

Ive been hit by a speeding driver, he was an offspring/nefew of someone in this conversation. And the same person drove a knight off the bridge at a meet, u guys remember that?

fhhhstix
09-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Well I can speak for everyone here on this board by saying that the time and money one spends on these trucks should be enough for others to be careful around them. Unless you have no respect at all for anyone's stuff could you have the kind of attitude to say "park the trucks or wrap them up in bubble wrap". I'm afraid that this is the wrong attitude or mentality to have in this hobby. If you dont care about your own belongings that is fine, but show others, that have pride in their rides some respect and courtesy! If this kinda of respect isn't shown you might as well be person that would take their kids to a classic car show or truck show and let them finger up the vehicles and climb all over them! Remember, someone had to work hard for what they have, myself included! The last thing I want is a demolition derby at a show because of lack of maturity.

Brian

Well said Brian I wanted to reply but I didn't think I could do it in a diplomatic manor so I didn't. I had a guy this spring at a GTG that cought my matalic Knights bumper and bent it I watched him hit it and when I said somthing to him he looked me in the eye and lied and said he didn't do it.:mad:

Travis

ihbuilder
09-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Make shure you dont hit the truck with the boom!!! lol :D

Ive been hit by a speeding driver, he was an offspring/nefew of someone in this conversation. And the same person drove a knight off the bridge at a meet, u guys remember that?

nah just drop a net from the boom :D

I guess he aint getin his lic. anytime soon

firefighter30
09-29-2010, 08:12 AM
just have to remember that accidents do happen. at our last couple of meets we had 25 or 30 members show up and that is a lot of trucks driving around with limited space. yes everyone should be careful and respect others property but things do happen and people should own up to any ***age they do to somebody else's truck. I think everybody is careful and respectful of others property and if you see someone out of control talk to them and let them know to slow down and be careful.

Bigrigger
10-01-2010, 12:46 PM
If I ever get to one of your meets, I'll be going half a mile an hour! I'll get pulled over for going to slow.:D

Bodyman
10-02-2010, 05:05 PM
how bout putting a deposit down to drive. if you dont cause any ***age to anothers
truck you get it back. i just dont like paying to fix up my stuff when someone else
wrecks it.
steve

ihbuilder
10-02-2010, 06:19 PM
how bout putting a deposit down to drive. if you dont cause any ***age to anothers
truck you get it back. i just dont like paying to fix up my stuff when someone else
wrecks it.
steve

something like mini truck Insurance :p

fhhhstix
10-02-2010, 09:35 PM
At the gtg's fender benders don't and should not just happen. If you have problems such as glitching take it to the pit it is not going to fix its self. If you are a first time driver stay out of the city and go to a corner of the room and practice before you join the others driving in the city.

I take pride in what I have built and take care of it as well. Some of these guys have bought there trucks RTR and have no idea of what it takes to build a custom truck.

Here are just a couple of suggestions for common courtesy.

Don’t follow right behind another truck going up a ramp if he doesn’t make it and backs up or slides back unexpectedly you will have no reason to complain that he hit you .

This one is dedicated to the bridge.
If a truck is dumping on the bridge (for those of you without a dump truck or trailer that is what the grate in the bridge is for) don’t try to squeeze by and have a possibility of hitting the dumper and possibly tipping it over. Don’t ***** because the dumpers have the bridge blocked do a lap around the city and come back when they are done.

Loading pit let the person who is getting loaded finish before you pull in the way of the loader or the truck being loaded.

Speeding around the city also pertains to other rc vehicles as well as semi’s, just don’t do it if you have no control of your fingers and can’t help but using full throttle every time you pick up a radio then put it away and be a spectator.

Finally go to a gtg have fun, meet some nice people and use some common since.

Travis

ihbuilder
10-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Quoted from travis

"Loading pit let the person who is getting loaded finish before you pull in the way of the loader or the truck being loaded."

try that in a real pit :eek::eek::eek::eek:you'll not only hear it you'll feel it in the azz .

IHSteve

Brian in PA
10-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Quoted from travis

"Loading pit let the person who is getting loaded finish before you pull in the way of the loader or the truck being loaded."

try that in a real pit :eek::eek::eek::eek:you'll not only hear it you'll feel it in the azz .

IHSteve

Ya that one there is also common sense, for I have involved with actual pit activity too, and have seen this done the wrong way. It get annoying and dangerous!

Brian

9W Monighan
10-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Don't let me load anybody unless you want your sideboards dented or knocked off and dirt poured on your cab :p Ask SmallHaul:D:o:o That may have fixed it's self with the new radio though:)
:Beware: The night shift operators at our pit drive impaired and don't need no stinking lights:p:p:p:p:p:p

Aside from that, as far as age, I taught my kid when he was 4 to operate his minidozer and I caught alot of static at other shows we went to from the officials but he always proved to be a very responsible driver.

ihbuilder
10-02-2010, 11:53 PM
I went to a State Equipment (IH/Dresser Dealer ) equipment demo I got on a TD25 and started grading .that went fine till some elder zaelot complained that a "kid" was running a piece of equipment ( better then he ). Well when I got to get on the 200 loader ( Dressers only rear eng track loader) they said no your to young :mad: so I still didn't get on one , so I settled for a 953 and a 963 no biggy I'll take a blade or an excavator any day . I was operating equip. before I could drive started @ 5 on a 350 deer john need to bring home an fix for the next day every night loader

IHSteve

aussierolla
10-03-2010, 12:41 AM
hi guys i just drive my truck at home but sounds like you guys just need to come up with road rules and have every body obay them or they just sit the rest meet out . these are just my views but if i ever went and drove with any of the guys here in aus i would drive like i do on the road which is just use common sence . once again these are just my view and i hope i havent offended anyone.

steamer
10-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Looks like you guys need to hire a couple of Diesel Bears, to straighten this problem out.

BigZracingRC
10-09-2010, 01:11 PM
There was one young man at Indy who drove anothers truck on Sat. that did a much better job of driving than a lot of the 'older' people. Granted he was driving someone elses truck but he knew how to drive the truck. He knew more about some of the trucks than I did. Why? He spent a lot of time on the forums! Age is no indication as to how a person drives. Practice is the only way to know how you should drive a truck- just like real ones. This young man also races r/c cars so he has had lots of practice at driving. While I do not like walking behind a truck, it is sometimes necessay when you can not see your truck due to building and other scenery on the layout. This was talked about after last years Indy meet and again before this year. Until we can make a layout that you can see your vehicle from any spot around the outside of the layout, there will always be someone walking behind their truck. When battling r/c tanks or racing r/c cars and trucks, you are not alloyed to walk behing your vehicle. While battling r/c tanks, you can move around the battlefield as there are blind spots but you can not get on the battlefield. You drive your r/c cars and trucks from a fixed postion while racing them.
One last point, Driving a truck fast is not a prerequisit for good driving. I agree with Chris on this point. Many of us stopped running our trucks when others decided to make the layout a race track. Way too much time, money and effort have gone into our trucks for them to be used as bumper cars.
OK my rant on this subject is over.

Lynn

Hey! that was me! :p haha thanks! and guys i totally agree with watching the youngins! I used to demolish my rc cars, so it is a maturity thing! thanks tc1cat and keep on truckin' you youngin's! haha im only 16