PDA

View Full Version : Too fast!!

Juganought
08-21-2010, 11:55 AM
I now have the unit running, just a bit of soldering to do :D I am not too happy with the speed, too fast. Novak 55 turn, 10 tooth pinion, and locked in first gear cant keep up with it, Apart from a GRU, any idea's?

Thorsteenster
08-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Less volts, more winds, lower gearing, or just don't move the stick to full!

grumpygrady
08-21-2010, 02:04 PM
try a 8 tooth pinion if that is to fast go to a 6 tooth

if still to fast in first gear might have to try a 3 to 1 or 4to 1 gear reduction unit between the motor and trans

SonoranWraith
08-22-2010, 01:44 AM
Yeah lower pinion, then use the radio and adjust the EPA to suit. That is how I did mine before I had GRU.

Claus
08-22-2010, 10:01 AM
In my truck I have a Tekin FXR, 45T and a PMD 4:1 gear reduction after the transmission. The truck has great control, I run my truck in the house so it's top speed is plenty fast for me, fast enough to chase the cats around. This set up was kind of expensive but worth it to me.

Tamiya Cowboy
08-22-2010, 11:42 AM
You can do the same thing for 1/16 the money by using a 6 tooth pinon and a 55 turn motor.

Claus
08-22-2010, 11:49 AM
OK Paul, but I did not realize you were such a conservative when it came to RC trucks and money. LOL!!!

Tamiya Cowboy
08-22-2010, 05:47 PM
LOL I like to find cheaper way that give the same end result.

Juganought
08-22-2010, 07:24 PM
I'll try six tooth in my other truck. I'll let you guys know how I get on.

Thanx for the input
Juga

IDontKnow
08-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Another way is to use the truck puller style motors.
I think its PMD that make them, only run to 6000 odd rpm but have a good amount of power. With standard Tamiya pinion (forgot how many teeth) it goes at a fast walking pace, if that makes sense?

Bob From Downunder
08-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Since I'm into logging I wanted grunt, so I followed Pauls suggestion, I bought the Truck Puller motor out of Sydney and a 6 tooth pinion from the States. The truck is not finished yet so I don't know the results, just following advice of the experts....

Bob

Romelio
08-24-2010, 10:03 AM
I was thinking of buying the pmd 4:1 for my knight hauler. I realize there will need to be a little fabricating but exactly how much? Will i need to buy any other parts to make it work? Thanks for the info.

Brian

diesel950
08-24-2010, 10:22 AM
in my king i have a 2.5-1 reduction with a 17 tooth pinion.
nice and slow in 1st,
bit faster than walking pace in 2nd
and highway speed in 3rd:D
but also has heaps of grunt.
like this much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOsc3532JQ8

diesel950
08-24-2010, 10:24 AM
the reduction unit i used is also cheap.
but it has metal gears and bearings
so can take a lot of abuse.
cost $30aus.

Romelio
08-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Do you have a link?

Thorsteenster
08-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Okay, I'm kinda not understanding this. If you guys are primarily gearing down to drop speed and not for torque, why not just adjust EPA or adjust stick movement to desired speed as it is proportional. Not trying to be smart *** or anything.
I think the extra speed would be nice in case you ever needed it. When I get my Volvo together I'll be putting my Novak Goat system in it, plenty of low end but good on top end too. Never know when you'll need some wheel speed for mud, cleaning tires etc etc.

Juganought
08-24-2010, 12:03 PM
You are right, Thorsteenster. I have decided to leave it as it is, and try and regulate the speed from the stick

fhhhstix
08-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Okay, I'm kinda not understanding this. If you guys are primarily gearing down to drop speed and not for torque, why not just adjust EPA or adjust stick movement to desired speed as it is proportional. Not trying to be smart *** or anything.
I think the extra speed would be nice in case you ever needed it. When I get my Volvo together I'll be putting my Novak Goat system in it, plenty of low end but good on top end too. Never know when you'll need some wheel speed for mud, cleaning tires etc etc.

If you adjust the EPA then when the truck is under a load such as pulling a heavy trailer or going up hill you wont be able to send enough power to the motor to maintain speed.:cool:

This is simple guys, for those of you who drive a vehical you don't drive it foot to the floor but you do give it more throtle to go up a hill so the throtle stick on your radio works just like the pedal in your car. If all else fails put in a gear reduction and put the hammer down:D

Truckpuller motor=high turn motor it is just a fancy name

Higher turn=lower rpm=more power
Lower turn=higher rpm=less power

http://www.rccartips.com/rc-electric-motor-tuning-guide.htm

Izzy
08-24-2010, 07:42 PM
I know the price seems un-real but the PMD 4:1 is nearly unbreakable.

I have one truck with the 4:1 after the trans (stock pinion and stock motor) and 1 truck with a 3:1 and a puller motor before the trans.

The truck with the 4:1 can sit on a bridge and just hold itself without much throttle at all - shifting is nice and smooth ad there is no lurching of the truck (free rolling back and forth while sitting still)

With the 3:1 at the motor before the trans the truck will have that lurching aspect and it doesn't want to shift under load - you have to kinda back out of it just a little then she'l shift - kinda realistic but different.

The 3:1 cost me around 50 bucks from Willy and the puller motor was 35, while the 4:1 ran me 150

just some thoughts for those comparing .....