PDA

View Full Version : Aaargh! Warped frame rails!

Snowman
07-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Well after many hours wasted going crazy wondering why after countless measuring and adjusting and measuring again, the front fenders on my truck seemed not to be level. Didn't matter how many times I adjusted them and got them perfectly symmetrical on the body, one wheel always sat lower in the fender than the other. Well I put the whole thing down and walked away from it for a while. I finally figured out the problem after several months, the frame rails were not symmetrical, one was bent upwards slightly compared with the other. Bingo, there's the problem. Piece of junk frame rails are going in the bin :mad::mad: Got some brand new rails from carson to cut and drill now.

mtdriver
07-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Stock or aftermarket?

Snowman
07-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Aftermarket. I got some better rails from Carson that are identical in profile to the tamiya ones now.

SonoranWraith
07-24-2011, 03:06 PM
I have looked at the carson rails too but never wanted to risk shipping them overseas. Shipping must have been reasonable but aren't they pretty long?

Snowman
07-24-2011, 05:46 PM
They are quite long at 1 metre each but I can always use what's left over for something else. Shipping wasn't a problem for me, Germany to England isn't that far, but I imagine it could be costly to the US, especially given the length.
Best thing is they are straight as a die. I've heard nothing but good things about freddy's frame rails, that would probably be the best option for you.

SonoranWraith
08-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Yeah I thought they were long. I have FGD rails and they are indeed nice.:D

enginemiester
11-13-2011, 08:22 PM
I have recently used the PMD frame rails, and they are alright other than they are thicker than the stock tamiya rails, only bad part is drilling and tapping all the holes.