PDA

View Full Version : how do you lock the rear

will916691
08-24-2010, 12:54 PM
How are you guys locking the rear axil in you trucks? I need to lock one or both since I run it in grass but I want to be able to take the locker out if I dont like it

Thanks
Will

MadMax
08-24-2010, 01:12 PM
look for parts sprew G out of the Jeep Wrangler.

Thorsteenster
08-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Or you can take apart the diff, remove one of the spider gears and place it in between the other two. Might have to work it down in a tad to re-assemble. BAM! Instant free reversible locker.

will916691
08-25-2010, 01:07 PM
thanks guys I will try the spider gear and see if that works

Will

Thorsteenster
08-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Here's a picture, although the guy used a 4th gear, you can use one in it. On Scale4x4 and RCC people having been using this method for years.
http://clodzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/tamiya_jeep_wrangler_40.jpg

diesel950
08-27-2010, 10:40 AM
i locked my front diff like that and broke the carrier for the spider gears
the shaft actually came out of the diff casing!
so now it is really locked with 6 gears instead of 3.

Thorsteenster
08-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Now that's locked!

Maybe it was a bad carrier, I can't think of hearing any breakage with this mod.

Stuff
08-27-2010, 11:34 AM
this is how i locked all of my axles. cept i didnt have spare gears so i just moved one to be in between the others and it works nice. true its a bit to take it out but it works and doesnt wreck my internals!

will916691
08-27-2010, 11:35 AM
I just locked it works good no more getting stuck in the grass

diesel950
08-30-2010, 07:46 AM
i think mine broke with a bit of force.
but then again i am usually dragging 3 trailers
sometimes a lot more.

CorbettTrailers
08-30-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm a little late. but I locked mine with Freddy's method. I drilled and tapped a hole. It still requires complete disassemble of the axle hosing and differential, but I've had no problems. And this includes hauling the neighbor kids around on my trailers and running in grass. Freddy would prolly be able to tell more. I locked mine right before the Brookville meet in March and I'd have to tear mine apart to remember how to do it. Too many knocks on the Noggin', even with a helmet it still had an effect.
But glad you got it locked!

CustomRCmodels
08-30-2010, 11:45 PM
I lock my diff’s with hot-melt ( glue-gun ) ,
Since that stuff stays somewhat flexible , it allows some very little movement ,
more like it flexes . With that method I never had any issues , no matter how much I pulled or what ever crazy stuff I do with my trucks .
All these other methods maybe a little to stiff , therefore the one or the other experience some damages upon depending how much torque you apply to your axles .
I would like to find a real super heavy grease , which would act like a limited slip differential , but so far no luck . Everything I came across so far was still to thin .
I been also thinking about using shims in the diff’s , to make everything work , but with a lot more resistance , again , similar to a limited slip differential , but didn’t get to that one yet … to much work , not enough time , ha

Besides , these days I am tending to improve my suspension and add weight to the tires and frame , as long you can keep your tires on the ground , you don’t need no locked diff’s , excepted you drive in very loose ground or sand .

this one here has NO locked diff's and I never got stuck with it !
http://www.customrcmodels.com/Trucks/new_6wd_project.htm

OLDPETERBILTLOVER
03-22-2012, 09:18 AM
i locked the front drive axle on my king using the spider gear methode and it works wounderful!!!

9W Monighan
03-22-2012, 11:39 AM
I would like to find a real super heavy grease , which would act like a limited slip differential , but so far no luck . Everything I came across so far was still to thin .

This is what I was going to suggest with stiff oil. My brother told me about this technique they use with their racing buggy's and trucks.
Try some silicone grease from the plumbers section at Home Depot.
There is a semifluid oil we use on our old Cats to lube the rollers. I think it is known as "00" semi fluid grease.
I have some of that and some Castrol Longtime PD O these greases are like vasalene consistancy.
Another grease to try may be the stuff they use on binocular and camera lenses. That would give a nice slow movement. There are different grades for varying temperatures the binos work at.

Lil Giants
03-24-2012, 01:15 AM
I've found Shoo Goo to work good for a "limited slip" without being full locking, not so hard on driveshafts. ;)

pumptech
03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
this is how i locked all of my axles. cept i didnt have spare gears so i just moved one to be in between the others and it works nice. true its a bit to take it out but it works and doesnt wreck my internals!

Starting on my King Hauler,first king build for me. Tried this method ,seems like it going to work.:cool:

chaseracer
03-28-2012, 07:15 PM
the extra gear works well used it for years in crawlers with tlt axles.. but silly putty works best if want a locked diff that becomes limited slip just before breaking :) just pack the gears full of silly putty close it up remove the extra that squishes out and good to go.. great locked preformance but with give under too much pressure.