PDA

View Full Version : Custom lowboy 'kit' parts needed...

WhiteWolf McBride
10-05-2011, 07:21 AM
Guys...

I'm just getting back into trucks (again) and this rig is going to be doing multiple duties. One is a tow rig for a lowboy similar to the Bruder one, but capable of taking the Tamiya Leopard 2A6 without structural failure.

Although I like the PMD one, the killer there is its pre-assembled, the shipping cost. I'd much porefer a DIY kit like a Tamiya trailer, and I'm bothered that its not an option.

Thats why I'm looking for ~components~ to DIY. Main trailer members, no gooseneck drop (want bi-fold ramps off the end) with swing-out brackets for the widener strips. I'd prefer three-axle, smaller-than Tamiya tires, but no dolly. If anyone knows of someone who could supply parts for the kit, I could get pics of a similar trailer for assessment purposes.

If the price is good, I'll probably want to stretch my stock Tamiya flatbed too. Why they dinna make 'em proper 53' length, who knows... then again, I'm dying for a WW2 Deuce & 1/2 kit, and a HEMTT would kick *ss too.

WhiteWolf

nenard
10-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Hey WWM, check the rules for post and buy n sell. May save you some grief. Just a heads up. Its a great forum but rules is rules.

WhiteWolf McBride
10-05-2011, 10:55 AM
This isn't a 'buy' post, more of a 'I need some advice on who makes (or ~can~ make) this stuff' thread.

Then again, judgement is up to Admin... right? If I've worded the post improperly, let me know and I'll amend/alter it.

I'd like to add that I'd like some advice on compatible 'beefy/military' rims and tires for the King Hauler kit. Ones that do not entail hacking either rims or tires. I don't mind adding spacers in between rim halves, but I do mind having to slit a rim around its diameter to widen it without having a spacer to fit in to widen it properly.

WhiteWolf

JensR
10-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Not sure what level of detail you want and what degree of manufacturing you can do, but...

Smaller than Tamiya wheels are offered by several companies, but the easiest to get in North America might be the Wedico tires. They are 1:16 and hence just that that bit smaller to look good on a lowloader (IMO).

Axles can be modified to Tamiya width from the tire-matching Wedico axles or scratchbuilt completely.
If you want steered axles, again there are some manufacturers out there. I know of SchulzTec in Germany. But they come at a price.
OTOH, scratchbuilding a steered trailer axle is also not that difficult.

Main frame rails can be made from aluminium profile at your local DIY store.

Swing out wideners are sold by Veroma and SchulzTec.

As for heavy duty rims for the tractor unit, have you checked the RC4WD ones?

fhhhstix
10-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Although I like the PMD one, the killer there is its pre-assembled, the shipping cost. I'd much porefer a DIY kit like a Tamiya trailer, and I'm bothered that its not an option.

There is a very good reason why it is pre assembled. By pre assembling the trailer there is no question about fitment issues and missing parts. A for rims we have ihbuilder here on the forum that will be back in production of rims shortly and RC4WD offers a low pro tire that is equivalent in height to the wedico tires.

Why they dinna make 'em proper 53' length, who knows...

Not all trailers are 53' so I would say they copied a shorter trailer.

Travis

WhiteWolf McBride
10-08-2011, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up guys.

Guess its because I'm an assembler at heart that wanting to put it together is a preferred option, if it'll save me money in purchase & postage.

I could do extended rails myself... no drill press but a dremel and a decent measurement would do. I might have to blow for a few metric taps/dies.

I noted Garden Trucking had the lowboy options as well, but dunno if they only sell 'em as add-ons. I'll ask once i get down to hard mods time.

Rear-steer, naw. Though I contemplated one of those odd lowboys with the axle-bogie that slid forward, conswquently letting the rear of the bed drop. Saw one in action, and thought a simple worm-gear/shaft setup could pull the bogie set forward...

As for rims/tires, I was thinking ones that are about 2/3 the diameter of stock rims/tires, like the difference between stock semi ones and trailer ones. If I need to go open-well to get the bed lower, like on construction lowboys, so be it.

And yea, I've looked at RC4WD. Its knowing what is compatible thats the kicker. And when I get to compatibility w/ my Robbe axles, its going to be killer... though I may look at getting adapters made. Conic-friction is just so much of a pain.

WhiteWolf

ihbuilder
10-08-2011, 07:14 AM
"Conic-friction "

Hmm , I'll have to look into that , I had thought about using that methood before I got a mill