PDA

View Full Version : Vario...

pigeonfarmboy
11-10-2011, 11:58 AM
(I usually don't write novels on this kind of stuff but my friggin blood is BOILING right now)

So I ordered an RTR Vario JD850D at the end of April 2011. It just arrived yesterday 11-9-11......

I was told it would arrive 8 weeks from the time of my order, instead of taking the option to pay for half I wired the entire amount to them from the start.

Email after email of excuses and BS from Vario about parts delays and other crap I kept my cool and pushed on.

They shipped it finally on October 27th. After a shipping delay @ the Germany Fedex office because they didn't receive the correct paper work from Vario, it gets to Memphis on Nov. 3rd. I emailed Vario and they acted like they could care less. So since Vario failed to put any kind of Customs information in/on/with the crate, US Customs puts it in holding. After me filling out several forms it's finally released and in my hands another week later.

Started to tear the crate apart yesterday and it's nailed and screwed in a way that makes it pretty difficult to get apart. Several pulls on the prybar me and a buddy finally get the thing apart. Lucky me! One of the straps broke loose! Thank god the other held and the bucket was held tightly in place to the crate. UNLUCKY ME! ALL the hydraulic oil has leaked over the entire model and crate as well as all the tiny pieces of lead have spilled out of the rear counterweight.
Then proceeded to notice the following:
-Hyd. cylinders aren't painted
-Interior Pedals are broken off from the loose driver in the cab
-Fire Extinguisher mounts are broken off the floor
-"Driver" that I was charged 50euro for is the Wedico Gay Cowboy!!!!!! :eek:
-"Scale Walkway" could be used for the 1:1 since it's so huge.
- Cab Protection I paid for was nowhere to be seen
- External accessories (Ladder etc.) I paid for were nowhere to be seen
- This one is on me, I thought the tracks were metal....they're delrin or abs plastic.
- Never had a hernia, but I'm pretty sure I will in the near future from lifting this monster!! :D

Wrote another calm and factual email this morning to Vario and we will see where that gets me. Maybe Vario will offer me another mouse pad or keychain.......

Lesson learned, buy kits. I hope this statement isn't true after using the Vario, but right now I wish I'd have gone with Liebherr/Wedico/Stahl.

JAMMER
11-10-2011, 03:27 PM
It a shame you had a problem with your delivery from Vario. All of my experience has been excellent they have taken excellent care of me and if there was a problem they rectified if right away. You have to learn to ask a lot of questions about what you are buying as the old saying goes buyer beware. I do not use the internet I call then and talk to Dave Hlollins or Frank both are very pleasant to deal with. I do not know for sure but if customs got into your delivery they are not to picky about repackaging I know I use to run Canada with freight. Hope all turns out alright for you. Ed

fhhhstix
11-10-2011, 03:40 PM
I am sorry to here this Nate I know you have been waiting for this piece for a while now, and for it to show up in this kind of shape is just sickening to say the least. I hope all turns out well since this is an expensive purchase to be this disappointing.

Travis

Claus
11-10-2011, 06:26 PM
-"Driver" that I was charged 50euro for is the Wedico Gay Cowboy!!!!!!

That's funny, I'm sorry, but that's funny.

Lil Giants
11-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Lesson learned, buy kits. I hope this statement isn't true after using the Vario, but right now I wish I'd have gone with Liebherr/Wedico/Stahl.

You won't be, none of those other models have the digging power that this one has, nor the reach. :D

I've had my problems with missing parts in the kit, but their service has been quick & polite.

I got my HK hoe soaked in oil too... common sense would be to drain the oil :confused:, cause you just know the shippers (Fed Ex or otherwise) won't a give a shyt about stacking packages right side up.

My u/c is at the machinist, get it back on Monday to install the track drive upgrade & hopefully I finally have functional tracks.

fhhhstix
11-10-2011, 08:27 PM
My u/c is at the machinist, get it back on Monday to install the track drive upgrade & hopefully I finally have functional tracks.

Now let me see if I am reading this right you took the u/c to a machinist to make an upgrade fit so you will have functional tracks.:confused: You paid how much for this model and the tracks didn't even work. This doesn't sound like much better quality than the WEDICO's you have had problems with.

Travis

rcguyfarms
11-10-2011, 11:42 PM
I am starting to feel much better about scratch built models after hearing these horror stories.

FreddyGearDrive
11-11-2011, 06:43 AM
What do they leave the breather wide open? All my hydraulic crap can sit up side down forever & not leak a bit.As long as the breather is closed off.:confused: For what these things cost,& not to mention the hassle & cost of replacing busted parts. You would think they would be sure to pack these for the long rough ride.
Almost think your further ahead buyin a plane ticket w/two seats on the way back.One for your butt & one for the machine.
Yea,I'de be real pissed too,if I spent that kinda dough.Opened the box,only to find my new pride & joy,an oily busted up heap floating in the box.:eek:
Hope it all works out!
FGD

Lil Giants
11-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Just a little bit of material needs to be removed from the u/c to fit a larger planetary type gearhead vs the original spur gearhead it had before.

It's not that big of a deal. This model is not like anything I've had before b/c of its weight class & power!

The original creator used a worm drive on the swing & track drives, and if set up correctly, it all works with much greater power over direct drive systems, which I didn't know at the time of assembly & I buggered mine up. These new track drive upgrades should be almost dumby proof. :D

I'm also thinking that the original creator (Fumotec, Frank who is an employee of Vario Helicopters) had used some better components (likely selfmade) than the current manufacturer who is now providing these models to the consumer. What looks good on paper doesn't always work well in reality.

Vario's primary has been rc helicopters; the construction equip line is new to them & it's just taking a little time to iron out the wrinkles.

wdc's excavator is pot aluminum cast garbage that cost a grand more & has a mere fraction of the power & durability that this model excavator has.

I have never broke hard ground with an rc model before... I don't have the patience to spend a yr or more to build each of these models myself, nor do I have the resources for parts or material readily available where I live either. So I will be a Fumotec customer for a long time to come. :)

Fumotec has three new models coming available sometime in the next yr or two. They are the Bell 4206 (4wd tractor), Komatsu WA 500-6 wheel loader & a Bell B40 adt. I'm eyeballing the 4206 1st & in 2 or 3 yrs the wheel loader. ;)

rc_farmer
11-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Guess the construction worker was on tour :D:D, know your not in the laughing mood, just trying to lighten the moment :D

pigeonfarmboy
11-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Good news. All r/c components function correctly. I'll be making a video showing the setup I'm going to use. (Glad it worked as well as I imagined it)

JAMMER
11-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Did you find a good doctor to take care of the Hernia you are going to get? Ed

pigeonfarmboy
11-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Seriously! Imagine how much heavier it would be with metal track links!

Lil Giants
11-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Whenever it has to come upstairs for repairs or take it outside to use, I split it in half. 4 wires - 4 bolts & it's in two. Oh so much easier to carry up a narrow steep walkway. :)

pigeonfarmboy
11-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Good idea......for a girlie man! (Just carried mine outside for it's first play day)

BRICKNICK
11-13-2011, 03:11 PM
How big and heavy could this thing be? I've never seen one, if you could post some love it would be greatly appreciated. I tried to google search for a pick and couldnt find one.

Lil Giants
11-13-2011, 06:18 PM
You're young & dumb yet PFD, thinking with your nutts instead of your brain, someday your body will start talking to you & telling you NO! YOU CAN'T DO THAT! :D

They weigh about 80lbs. Here's mine http://www.youtube.com/user/LilGiantsConstrCo?feature=mhee#p/u/11/KeoUM5NcdUw
I have several other vids showing the power of this brute of a model.

Claus
11-13-2011, 08:01 PM
How well will a Tamiya or a Wedico pull an 80 pound excavator around?

pigeonfarmboy
11-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Will find out soon enough. I've pulled myself around in a red wagon with a Tamiya high-lift before. Had a bunch of weight on it so that'll be key.

pigeonfarmboy
11-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Got a reply, bunch of sorry excuses. I CC'ed a reply to Frank. We'll see if that gets any solutions offered.

pigeonfarmboy
11-18-2011, 02:34 AM
After many emails back and forth Vario has offered a refund for the cylinders not being painted. Now to find a source for the paint so I can cover up those eye sores!

They are also producing the missing scale pieces and sending them my way.

JAMMER
11-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Save your self some money and got to a John Deere dealer and get a bug boom of there color and paint them your self just knock the pins, out but watch for the shims and prime and paint them if your careful and mask them off good you ca do it without unhooking the lines. Ed

pigeonfarmboy
11-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Yeah I figured that was the best way to go. I'll have to go to a dealership that does the construction stuff. None of the farm shops around here have anything but the normal JD Green in cans.

Azonic
01-09-2012, 01:17 PM
I used this thread to show that Vario now have their parts and kits in their online shop, so lesser e-mailing for customers maybe.
I linked to the Britain site, there are more languages.

http://www.vario-helicopter.biz/gb/index.php?cPath=224