PDA

View Full Version : painting copper

dirdydogrc
11-11-2011, 06:06 PM
hello everyone

i am new to the forum i have been a member for a couple weeks now but i am the quiet type.

well i am building my first transport. i have been in the hobby for years and have a fully custom tamiya Toyota tundra that started off as a kit now the only thing left from the kit is the cab, the lights and the grill.

so my question is i want to put some big stacks on my truck and was going to use some copper pipes but i am not sure about painting them if i just primer them and then shoot them in a chrome paint how do you think it would look?

thanks in advance

Eric

Brian in PA
11-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Scuff 'em up with some scotch bright or sandpaper them prime and paint!

Brian

Mrfish55
11-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Why paint it, polish it and plate it with real chrome http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/plugnplate.htm
I did a bunch of brass parts on the firetruck and they turned out real nice.

dirdydogrc
11-18-2011, 04:38 PM
well i think ill have to order that up but i am going to paint the parts just cause i need to have it done really this weekend so i can test it as it will be in a Christmas parade then this winter ill plate them

JAMMER
11-18-2011, 05:39 PM
After priming them if you use some aluminum high temp header paint and after drying for a day rub them with a micro fiber cloth and the will polish up better than that chrome paint from Eastwood. Ed

crawler07
11-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Also use etching primer on brass or it may peel off leter..

Wow Im goingto buy one of those plating systems!!their awesome for what we do!!