PDA

View Full Version : Audio jack for slip ring?

pumptech
12-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Hi all ,was watching this vid,around the 30-35 sec mark,that looks to be a audio jack ,just wandering it that was what it was,and if that would work for a slew ring for a bruder conversion mabey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNd_DcxEh9c

9W Monighan
12-01-2011, 09:37 AM
That is a ingenious way of doing that and very easy to dismantle. That would work perfectly on the lighter models. You should still use a bearing in conjunction with the plug to take some of the load. I wonder how many circuits can be had on a audio jack. Definitely cheaper than a slip ring.

RCP57
12-01-2011, 09:54 AM
That's a great idea... I was just about to attempt some sort of connection today or tomorrow because my drive motors arrived yesterday. I would think that if you used a plug from a set of stereo headphones you get 2+ and 2- connections:confused:. How much amperage would they handle in a 40-50lbs model though I wonder?

Reg

JensR
12-01-2011, 11:31 AM
I use one in the circle drive of my grader.
Mono has two poles
Stereo has three poles (common ground, left, right)
There are some four-pole ones available, but I only found them for the smaller sizes, not the big 6.5mm ones.
Not sure about current - my four-pole one seems to work fine with the 1A to 2A I am sending over it.
They are not meant for many rotations and a bit susceptible to ingress of dirt, but they are a nifty way of doing that - for small models and large plugs, you might even get away without an external bearing to take the load.

pumptech
12-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys, hey jensr thanks for the info,didn't know that about the stereo/mono plug. May have to swing by radio shack and take a look ,do some experimenting with it,my bruder excavator may be a candidate for it,lol.

doodlebug
12-01-2011, 11:00 PM
He's definately sticking the "Keep it simple stupid'' (KISS) analogy!
Thank's for sharing!, Neil.