PDA

View Full Version : Dolly trailer build question

kenlms
12-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Hi all,

I am embarking on my first custom truck project and am building a dolly. I have knocked one up from parts of the Tamiya pole trailer and and other spare bits.

I have 2 what I think are important configuration questions:

1) where should the kingpin sit in relation to the axles? I copied the configuration from a truck kit, which has the king pin just behind the centre of the axle group, but it seem to sit tail heavy on the suspension under load.

2) Should the draw-bar be rigid mounted or pivot where it attaches to the trailer? I.e. should there be any vertical load transferred to the tow hitch?

Thank you for any advice!

Ken

diesel950
12-13-2011, 08:18 AM
king pin should be in the middle of the axles
and a-frame should pivot

kenlms
12-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Thank you gentlemen!

Cossett
12-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Hi kenlms, the other benefits of having a pivoting draw bar on the dolly is when you have a drop deck trailer and a normal trailer and the tow hitch is at a different heights you can connect the dolly with out any hassles.....

Cheers Tracy

Msmaddie
03-19-2012, 08:02 PM
You can do either. All the tandem converters I pull have a pivoting draw bar. But Pepsi has a wack of rigids.

You wanna try and set your converter up so your fifth wheel is centered between the axles. The 1:1 converters are basically just a spring ride suspension. Just like you see on a tandem on a trailer. I have pulled a couple converters where the fifth wheel is located towards the back. But I think that was due to pulling trailers that have a deep pin.

Have a look at my "brass tandem axle converter" build thread. I built on from scratch with realistic working suspension.