PDA

View Full Version : Tamiya chrome parts f##k

civic83
12-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Anyone else have issues with tamiya chrome parts? When I bought my globeliner the parts tree with the visor was scratched all to crap, the visor was totally unusable. I email tamiya Canada ( borgfeldt ) and never received a response. Finally I just bought a new tree, it's not that it was alot of money but it was kind of disappointing on a 400+ dollar kit.

Skip ahead a few weeks, I get my box trailer kit and the wheel fender tree is scratched up, not as bad as the globe visor but it still sucks, once again on an almost 400$ kit.

I've built and owned probably 25+ tamiya kits over the last 20 years and never had issues, but then again not many of them had much , if any chrome on them.

Just had to get that off my chest, think it really sucks having to buy 10 or 20 dollars worth or replacement parts on a brand new kit!

Brian in PA
12-18-2011, 12:37 PM
That does kinda suck. Why not make a custom drop visor out of aluminum? Just an idea.

Brian

REV73
12-18-2011, 03:18 PM
I would just leave those stupid fenders off the trailer. I deal with transport trucks every day at work and have never seen any box trailer ever with fenders...I don't know what they were thinking when they made it that way...

civic83
12-18-2011, 08:25 PM
I agree just built it today and they are Definately coming off, gonna need to make hangers for my autobot mudflaps!

Msmaddie
12-19-2011, 09:04 AM
The only time I have ever seen fenders on a van is some O/O Reefers but they are nothing like that lol.

To me the scratched chrome tree is just a great excuse to go custom. ;)

SuperDutyScaler
12-19-2011, 10:16 AM
i havent mounted my chrome pieces yet to my king hauler and theve been in the parts bin for almost a year, they look brand new still. On my F350 highlift i run that at least once a week in mud, snow, sand, trees and the chrome is almost like new still, it has a few scratches but nothing that bad. Why not call the seller you bought the kit from and complain and have them send you a new parts tree?

smart racer
12-19-2011, 11:10 AM
did you purchase the kits in Canada? as it is my understanding that Borgfeldt's customer service will address problems only if purchased in Canada

rcman
12-19-2011, 03:31 PM
i agree tamiya has had some problems with their chrome parts lately i bought a king hauler chrome body and it was defective from tamiya luckily the graphics covered most of the defects so i was ok with it

civic83
12-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Ya I emailed borgfeldt and got no response. The store I bought it at doesn't really have any obligation and I didn't bother to ask them. Im gonna toss the fenders anyways , I beleive the problem is the packaging tamiya uses. The chrome parts need to be bagged better or something. Not a big deal, I just needed to vent!

smart racer
12-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Ya I emailed borgfeldt and got no response. The store I bought it at doesn't really have any obligation and I didn't bother to ask them. Im gonna toss the fenders anyways , I beleive the problem is the packaging tamiya uses. The chrome parts need to be bagged better or something. Not a big deal, I just needed to vent!

did you buy the item in Canada?

civic83
12-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Ya I did. Bought at my lhs in Kitchener ontario

smart racer
12-19-2011, 10:42 PM
deal with the problem with your LHS and they can address Borgfeldt, that is the responsibility of your LHS

REV73
12-20-2011, 11:05 PM
I am getting the same trailer and the fenders will not be going on...the only problem I can foresee with this is that the distance between the trailer floor and the wheels will be a bit bigger than what a 1:1 trailer would be.

civic83
12-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Ya rev I'm finding that too, I'll either drill new holes and lower the trailer or more likely just add a strip below the floor to fill some space. If you wanna see how it looks on your truck your welcome to check with mine

glorydays24
12-22-2011, 02:43 AM
I'm sorry about your luck with the chrome. I guess i've been lucky through all these years of buying several tamiya tractor-trailers among other kits.
Maybe if it keeps happening, and enough people contacts tamiya, maybe they will do better quality control.:eek::p:rolleyes:

Big John

1985 kenworth
12-27-2011, 04:15 PM
yea those kits were probably built packaged on a friday or monday

LowGMC
12-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Wow, I've been dealing with Borgfeldt since the early 90s and never had an issue. They looked after us very well when I worked at a HS, and have always been extremely helpful to me as a consumer. If I email, I get a response within 2-3 days. I'm thinking they never got your email. Gotta love the internet.

roadranger
01-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Ya rev I'm finding that too, I'll either drill new holes and lower the trailer or more likely just add a strip below the floor to fill some space. If you wanna see how it looks on your truck your welcome to check with mine

Yeah, but when you lower the trailer suspension that makes the tractor end WAY too high...
So then you lower the tractor suspension and then the 5th wheel isn't tall enough to clear the tires... :mad: