PDA

View Full Version : First Time Build-Ford dump

jtroyer06
12-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Hello all this is my first build, i was going to wait to start posting until i was a little further along. I have a dump bed planned and designed on autodesk inventor, right now i want to get the truck running so i can play with it in the mean time. All questions and comments are welcome! Thanks for looking! Jordan

Smokin Joe
12-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Nice truck. Also nice change up to standard builds. MORE PICS! Joe

jtroyer06
12-18-2011, 07:16 PM
I split the body and added some styrene to fill the gap between the two body pieces, and the between the hinge and getting everything to line up properly and look good took a lot of time! And made the adapters for the drive line, those are traxxas u-joints

jtroyer06
12-18-2011, 07:20 PM
I made the visor out of styrene and body filler. I'd like to change the bumper to a metal that can be semi polished i dont kow if stainless or aluminum would be best?

jtroyer06
12-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks Smokin Joe!! Now i ran into a slight problem, I'm running the spektrum RA8000 and the Sabertooth 12 RC Dual Motor Speed Controller and i have them binded and all that but all i can is get the steering servo to work, i cant get the motor and shift servo to do anything.

Any help would be great! I don't know if i over looked something or made a rookie mistake( this is my first build). One idea i thought could be a possibility is that I'm not running a BEC along with my current equipment. Like this one from D.E. http://www.dimensionengineering.com/SportBEC.htm

fhhhstix
12-18-2011, 07:42 PM
The ESC has it's own BEC and why the steering servo is working. Now you need to make sure that the shift servo and ESC are plugged into the channels you are trying to use. If all seems to be connected right try and rebind the receiver as I have had problems with my DX8 not having all of the channels and had to rebind it. Also make sure both leads from the saber tooth are plugged in.

Travis

jtroyer06
12-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Travis i tried your advice, but the red error light on the sabertooth keeps flashing but stops if i disconnect the motor leads from the sabertooth, so now I'm worried i wired my motor wrong. When i have everything plugged in like i want it, and binded if i move either stick anywhere but thr right stick left or right(steering) the sabertooth error light flashes or stays red until i move the sticks back to neutral. I have the transmitter on mode two, i have the ch1 plugged into the elev. and ch2 plugged into the tho. and the steering servo plugged into the aile. and shift into aux 2. I'm lost on what to try...

Lil Giants
12-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Plug in a receiver battery into the receiver. The Sabertooth BEC rarely works properly. I have three models that I have to do this with, and I didn't unplug the red wires from either Sabertooth servo lead.

jtroyer06
12-20-2011, 07:55 PM
i would rather stay with just one battery if i can....would one of these( http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm ) help my problem?

Lil Giants
12-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Maybe, although 1.25amp BEC isn't much either.

A 10-wheeler dump trk has alot of weight on the steering axle & it takes a servo similar to the Hitec 645 to steer it well, especially in soft ground.

I've tried Castle Creations CC BEC with a 5amp limit in the green GL dump trk that's using a Sabertooth dual esc (trk for/rev & power hyd dump), I've never had the trk time out on me with over current draw.

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

nenard
12-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Nice body work. What did you use for the stack mounts? May solve a problem Im having.

dsm4g63punk
12-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Nice build! what gear reduction unit are you using?