PDA

View Full Version : General RC questions from a beginner

Doug
12-31-2011, 05:13 PM
Hello all,
I joined the forum a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to get a feel for RC building. I am new to RC in general and have never built anything RC. I finally have a build in mind and, while I will have many specific questions later, I have some more general questions to ask at this point.

(1) I understand that various components such as motors, servos, hydraulics, etc make the different functions of a vehicycle work such as moving, turning etc. But....how are all of those components "synced" with the radio control? In other words, what has to happen for all the various components to be controlled by a radio? And what power source is common?

I hope this basic question makes sense......

I have a specific build in mind and would like some advice on what components are needed to make the project move, turn, etc.

The project I have in mind is a 1:14 scale Genie S-60x boom lift like the one in the link (http://www.countrytruevalue.com/product/s60-boom-lift-607.cfm) I'm in commercial construction and use similar lifts regularly. My questions are:

(2) What component is needed to make the lift move forward and backward? (It is 4 wheel drive and the 1:1 moves fairly slow)
(3) What component is needed to make the lift steer left and right? (only the rear wheels steer)
(4) What component is needed to make the boom move up and down? (On the 1:1, the boom raises probably 70-75 degrees vertical)
(5) What component is needed to make the boom rotate 360 degrees? (The 1:1 rotates fairly slow)
(6) What component is needed to make two sections of the 3 section boom move in and out (I may have this question already answered thanks to Custom Clod's Aeromax Rotating wrecker build; I was thinking about 1 motor for each of the 2 sections that move in and out)
(7) What radio would be needed to make all these components work? (I guess channels? is what I'm asking)

If possible, I would like specific manufacturer recommendations for the components but any information for the amateur/novice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Doug

modelman
12-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi Doug-the good news is that you have come to the right place for good info. The bad news is that you may not be ready for something like what you have chosen. You may need to do a lot of research and find out all you can about RC modeling before you dive into a build. I don't mean to be negative and everyone has to start somewhere but it sounds like you need to learn a lot about radios, batteries, servos, hydraulics and tons of stuff. The model you have chosen seems like a great build but will be VERY TECHNICAL and VERY EXPENSIVE!! The boom is operated by hydraulics and that alone could cost you $1000. Suppose you buy a 4-5-or-6-channel radio with servos. All you have to do is plug it all into the receiver and it all works by moving the controls on the transmitter. This part is simple but there is a lot more involved in making a model work. Pehaps you should start out with a simple build like a RC car or truck and learn how everything works. People on here will be glad to help and there are a lot of very good builders on this forum but you have to have a basic working knowledge of what you are doing. Hope this helps. Good Luck