PDA

View Full Version : Configure Spectrum DX6i with Tamiya MFU

Cossett
01-01-2012, 01:16 AM
1. Binding the Transmitter and the Receiver
The first thing you must do is bind the Transmitter and Receiver so that they can talk to one another.
a. Ensure that the Transmitter is turned off.
b. Plug in the Bind plug that came with the Receiver into the DATA\BIND port on the Receiver.
c. Plug a power source into any of the other ports on the Receiver, for example the THRO port. The power can be from the model itself, or a portable power supply of 4 AA batteries.
d. Hold the Trainer switch on the Transmitter, move the left stick to the full down position and power on the Transimtter.
e. Keep holding the Trainer switch until the Receiver's LED stays on.
f. Remove the bind plug from the receiver.
g. The Transmitter and Receiver have now been bound.

2. Plug the Receiver into the Tamiya Multi-Function Unit (MFU)
The Receiver must be plugged into the MFU in a particular order.
a. Plug the Input\Throttle (J5) plug into the THRO port on the Receiver
b. Plug the Input\Steering (J4) plug into the AILE port on the Receiver
c. Plug the Input\Support Legs (J6) plug into the ELEV port on the Receiver
d. Plug the Input\Shift (J7) plug into the RUDD port on the Receiver
e. Plug the 5th Wheel plug straight from the servo into the GEAR port on the Receiver.
Note: The 5th Wheel servo does not operate via the MFU in this configuration, but has a direct connection to the Receiver.
3. Change the Transmitter from Mode 1 to Mode 2 to switch the Throttle and Elevator controls.
Note: Mode 2 has the Throttle control on the up and down axis of the left stick and the Elevator controls on the up and down axis of the right stick. Mode 1 has the opposite. This does not affect the Aileron and Rudder controls. These settings only affect the currently selected Model, other stored models are not affected by these changes.
a. Power on the Transmitter
b. Using the click wheel, press down once to click, and the Adjust List should appear.
c. Scroll through the list until Model Select is highlighted and click.
d. Scroll through to the Model you wish to configure and click.
e. Scroll through the list until Setup List is highlighted and click. The Setup List should appear.
f. Scroll through the list until you reach Copy/Reset, and click.
g. Scroll down to Reset, and click. The Reset control screen should appear.
h. Switch the AIL D/R switch at the top right of the Transmitter from position 1 to 0 three times.
i. The hidden mode change menu should appear, scroll to select the mode you wish to use, in this case Mode 2, and click.
j. Scroll to List (top right corner of the screen) and click.

4. Adjust the Model Type
a. Power on the Transmitter
b. Click the scroll wheel once.
c. Scroll though until Setup List is highlighted, and click. The Setup List will be displayed.
d. Scroll through until Model Type is selected and click.
e. Select ACRO (with the picture of the plane) and click.
f. Scroll until List in the top right hand corner is highlighted and click.

5. Set the Model Name
a. Scroll until Model Name is selected and click.
b. Scroll until the section under Model 1 is selected and click.
Note: Model 1 will have a different number depending on which model is selected.
6. Using the scroll wheel and clicking to adjust the characters and position, give the model a name.
7. Once you are happy with the name, scroll through to Ok, and click.
8. Scroll until List in the top right hand corner is highlighted and click.

6. Reverse Some Controls
a. Scroll though until Reverse is selected, and click.
b. Scroll until the N next to THRO is selected, click once
c. Scroll until the N changes to an R, and click.
d. Scroll until the N next to AILE is selected, click once
e. Scroll until the N changes to an R, and click.
f. Scroll until the N next to ELEV is selected, click once
g. Scroll until the N changes to an R, and click.
h. Scroll until the N next to RUDD is selected, click once
i. Scroll until the N changes to an R, and click.
j. Scroll until the N next to GEAR is selected, click once
k. Scroll until the N changes to an R, and click.
l. Scroll until List in the top right corner is highlighted and click.

7. Set the Throttle Cutoff
a. Scroll until Thro Cut is selected and click.
b. Scroll until INH next to Position is selected and click.
c. Change to ACT using the scroll wheel and click.
d. Scroll to List in the top right corner and click.

8. Set the D/R&EXPO Settings
These settings allow you to use the D/R switches to negate the need to use the trim adjust controls when using the advanced fuctions of the MFU.
a. Scroll though to Adjust List and click.
b. Scroll down to D/R&EXPO and click.
c. Scroll through to the first column next to ELEV is selected, and click.
d. Ensure the ELEV D/R switch is set to 0, there should be a 0 next to ELEV on the screen.
e. Change value to 60% using the scroll wheel and click.
f. Move the ELEV D/R switch on the Transmitter from 0 to 1, there should now be a 1 next to ELEV on the screen.
g. Back on the screen, ensure that the first column for ELEV[/]B] is set to [B]100%
h. Move the scroll wheel to the second column of ELEV and click.
i. Change the value to +40% and click.
j. Move the ELEV D/R switch back to 0 from 1, there should now be a 0 next to ELEV on the screen.
k. Scroll through to the first column next to RUDD is selected, and click.
l. Ensure the RUDD D/R switch is set to 0, there should be a 0 next to RUDD on the screen.
m. Change value to 90% using the scroll wheel and click.
n. Move the RUDD D/R switch on the Transmitter from 0 to 1, there should now be a 1 next to RUDD on the screen.
o. Back on the screen, ensure that the first column for RUDD is set to 100%
p. Move the scroll wheel to the second column of RUDD and click.
q. Change the value to +100% and click.
r. Move the RUDD D/R switch back to 0 from 1, there should now be a 0 next to RUDD on the screen.
s. Scroll until List in the top right hand corner is selected, and click.

9. Adjust settings for Fifth Wheel servo
a. On the Adjust List, scroll until Travel ADJ is highlighted and click.
b. Set the Gear leaver to 1
c. Scroll until 100% next to GEAR is highlighted, and click.
d. Adjust value to a level where you do not hear the servo making a noise.
e. Click
f. Scroll until List in the top right hand corner is selected and click.

5. Calibrate the Tamiya Multi-Function Unit (MFU) with the Transmitter
a. Push and hold the Set button on the MFU control unit for 1 second, the MFU should stop the engine sound, and the LED on the control unit will blink.
b. On the Transmitter, move the left stick fully up and down then back to the center. The LED on the control unit will blink 3 times.
c. Move the left stick fully right to left and back to center. The LED on the control unit will blink 3 times.
d. Move the right stick fully up to down and back to center. The LED on the control unit will blink 3 times.
e. Move the right stick fully left to right and back to center. The LED on the control unit will blink 3 times quickly, and then will blink slowly.
f. Press the Set button on the control unit, the LED will then blink and turn on.

To use the Transmitter with the MFU:-
• Throttle is the left stick up and down.
• Steer is the right stick left and right.
• Changing gears is the left stick left and right with the RUDD D/R switch in the 0 position.
• Long horn is right stick all the way up with the ELEV D/R switch in the 0 position.
• Short horn is the right stick all the way down with the ELEV D/R switch in the 0 position.
• To turn on and off the emergency lights push right stick all the way up with the ELEV D/R switch in the 1 position.
• To scroll through the light functions move the right stick all the way down with the ELEV D/R switch in the 1 position.
• To Stop/Start the engine ensure the ELEV D/R and RUDD D/R switches are in the 1 position, put the left stick in the full right position and the left stick to the full up position.
• To operate the Fifth Wheel, use the Gear switch.

Cheers,

Cossett

confucius
01-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Hi cossett, hoping you can help, iv set dx6i up how you suggested
but i dont get any sound or foward/reverse, if i remove j6 it will start up and if i remove j7 and plug it into aux on rx and leave j6 in elev i get sound and move, no horn or lights,
my mfu is a 01
thank you for any help
Andy

confucius
01-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Hi Sally, thank you for the reply
had a play today i double checked all plugs on mfu and rx
• The Throttle (J5) on the MFU is plugged into the THRO port on the receiver.
• The Steering (J4) on the MFU is plugged into the AILE port on the receiver.
• The Support Legs (J6) on the MFU is plugged into the ELEV port on the receiver.
• The Shift (J7) on the MFU is plugged into the RUDD port on the receiver.
and all this right and 5th Wheel servo is pluged into GEAR

the TX is set up how you have said
MFU control box is set in the middle position.
with all this in place when i switch truck on i get steering, gears and 5th wheel,
no sound, throttle, lights of any kind.
my RX is the AR6200
i have'nt calibrated the MFU i have tried

thank you again for all the help

Andy

1985 kenworth
01-22-2012, 08:35 PM
i had trouble with my spektrum dx7 and my lhs guy set the trim level end points differently and now everything works fine ..i have no idea what that means but thats what he did hope this helps

MoRockN
02-06-2012, 01:53 PM
This seems to be a problem with a lot of people, I read everywhere that yes you can make the dx6i work with MFU but nobody has given an answer (Correct answer that is) about the right D/R and end point %'s , so if you have a radio (in front of you) and your truck is working with MFU and DX6i or a 7ch radio please post your setup and D/R specs. Thank you.

fhhhstix
02-06-2012, 07:38 PM
On my dx6 and 7 the D/R is 0=100 and 1=150. The only problem I have is getting the horn to honk consistently sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't but that is not a big deal to me.

Travis

1985 kenworth
02-08-2012, 12:39 AM
too bad i can't get my lhs guy who set up my dx7 to come on here and explain it he is a genius for that he set mine up and everthing works perfect

MoRockN
02-09-2012, 01:05 PM
You are lucky to have somebody at your LHS that knows what an MFU is. We just learn about everything our selves here in Nebraska since most people just use pistol grip radios for everything. I have a Hitec Aurora 9 that I'm using on all my semi's ( someday I'll post pictures ) and I wanna use the DX6i for one truck that I use for hauling my construction equipments and it has the stupid MFU in it. I think from now on I'm just gonna switch to Servonaut and call it good.

ittigger
03-28-2012, 07:17 AM
If I set this up on my DX6i, will it change the settings for the other vehicles I use this for (which are aircraft)?

Can I do this with any Spektrum receiver? AR6000B?

Once setup, how do I turn on the lights, blinkers, etc (that all used the analog trims)?

ittigger
04-07-2012, 08:37 AM
My input. Following the directions above, you cannot make ANY changes after you calibrate with the MFU - otherwise you have to recalibrate. Also, upon calibration, ensure that ALL D/R's switches are set to 0, otherwise - you guessed it - recalibrate.

Using a DX6i and a Spektrum AR600 receiver, I have gotten everything to work (as directed above) except for remote start.

dabears
04-07-2012, 12:15 PM
I use the dx5e and it only took 5 mins to set up. Everything works good, only downfall is I only have one open channel for future options or add ons. My lhs knows nothing about the mfu units even though they are a Tamiya authorized shop.....

ittigger
04-08-2012, 06:04 PM
My lhs doesn't either. Again, I have no remote on / off but that's ok - I can live with that part.

:)

My Aero will get the same works.

:)

MoRockN
08-13-2012, 01:58 PM
If I plug the J6 into ELEV, the MFU starts and stops on it's own and just keeps doing it, and if I unplug J6 I got no MFU controls but the truck will move and steer. I just cannot believe that this is making me go crazy. Am I missing something here??? It shouldn't be this hard but I just can't get it to work. I have all the stuff trimmed just like Cossette posted, but no luck.

dmess62
02-18-2013, 03:10 PM
I have the dx6i and dont have any remote start. I have it configured as above does anyone have any suggestions

dabears
02-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Do all other functions work right? just not the turn off or on?

dmess62
02-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Hey Aaron I didn't have all the light plugged in but when I put the elevator and rudder switches to position 1 and move the sticks I can hear through the speaker like its turning on the blinkers with the right stick instead of on/off of motor

dabears
03-21-2013, 08:09 PM
FYI the 5th wheel will work if you change the D&R for RUDD to 100%/INH with swith on 0, and 100% / -22% switch in 1 you can toggle the 5th wheel (or dump esc in my case) ran thru the MFU and with switch set to RUDD DR 0 it'll only control light functions

Hope this helps someone

Supermario
03-22-2013, 04:59 PM
I purchased a dx6i from Russ at Indy last year with intentions of installing in my king of bling. Have yet to do it, it's on the to do list but now I'm thinking..... I'm gonna wait till Indy. If I can get Smiley to put on a led workshop, how's about a radio set up workshop? :D.
Ok, that's it from me, no more workshop ideas for Indy:rolleyes:;):)

Mario

dabears
03-22-2013, 05:31 PM
I purchased a dx6i from Russ at Indy last year with intentions of installing in my king of bling. Have yet to do it, it's on the to do list but now I'm thinking..... I'm gonna wait till Indy. If I can get Smiley to put on a led workshop, how's about a radio set up workshop? :D.
Ok, that's it from me, no more workshop ideas for Indy:rolleyes:;):)

Mario

We can get it set up at Indy in a few mins bring it with

Supermario
03-24-2013, 10:44 AM
We can get it set up at Indy in a few mins bring it with

Thanks Aaron:) I will do that for sure:cool:

Mario

CG Bob
04-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Lots of good info here. I work part time at the LHS, and am mainly a r/c boat guy. When I went to work yesterday, there was a Scania R620 that a customer brought in for repair. Our r/c car tech put a note on the truck for me to fix it. He was apparently scared off by the MFU, I have more experience with electronics than he does. The work ticket said "Nothing works". I took a look at the truck, and the steering and fifth wheel release were working. After a little more looking around, I started double checking plugs and found a couple that were loose, and was able to get the throttle working.

I decided to come to this forum looking for help in fixing the truck, and found it. Thanks!

dabears
04-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Hope you got it running good??

CG Bob
04-11-2013, 11:49 PM
I was able to finish working on the Scania tonight at the LHS. The owner apparently had some one else do all the electrical work on it, according to our lead car tech. The throttle and fifth wheel release servo leads were swapped in the receiver and those work correctly now. The front turn signal wire plugs were swapped in the MFU and now those work properly. Since the truck didn't have any wheels on it, I wasn't able to do attest drive, but everything seems to check out on the bench.

dabears
04-12-2013, 12:37 AM
Awesome!!

CG Bob
04-13-2013, 12:13 AM
When I go to the shop on Saturday, I'll call the customer and let him know his truck is ready. Hopefully he comes in on Saturday or Sunday to pick up the truck. I didn't go thru all thru all of the Tamiya programming options in the MFU instruction - the owner will have to do that. When I was at the LHS on Thursday, our "lead" car tech and a new hire (airplane guy) were working, so I did put the truck thru it's paces on the bench after we closed.

After working on the customer's Scania, I'm almost tempted to get the Ford Aeromax and modify it to a daycab for a boat hauler. Nauset (http://nausetmarine.com/service/boat_hauling/) Marine has an Aeromax and trailer for hauling boats. The pictures show a Ford LND; I don't think I'll try to duplicate the hydraulic ram boat cradle trailer. I have the Dumas 1:16 scale model of USCG 36500 (http://www.dumasproducts.com/product_info.php?cPath=136_59&products_id=1065) to build; it will have a different number. I'm not too concerned with the various scale differentials for this project.

Mpfiend
04-26-2014, 02:32 AM
Good Morning,

This is very useful information, is this set up relevant to the new european MFU (MFC-03)?

I am currently building the Tamiya Scania and Reefer Trailer with the MFC-03, trailer lighting and powered legs.
I have started with the Trailer but will soon need to start testing the electronics with my Spektrum DX6i ready for the truck build.
any help with this would be greatly received as this is my first truck Trailer build.

Best Regards

Keith

dmess62
04-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Not sure about the European model mfu.

Mpfiend
04-30-2014, 08:21 AM
Gents,

After a couple of hours yesterday I set up my MFC-03 with my Spektrum Dx6i using the information posted in this thread and the instructions supplied.
This was only a bench test so far, as I have not yet started the build of the truck (I'm still getting the trailer built at the moment), but everything seems to work correctly. all of the sounds and modes seem to work without any fault. the only thing that I have not yet done is the gearbox set up, but the shift servo moves in the right directions when commanded. the coupling servo and switch are also operating correctly.
I'll post some more information once the truck build gets underway.

Thanks for looking in.

Best Regards

Keith

limek
07-27-2014, 04:30 AM
Hi, I am new to truck and mfc. I am using futaba 12FG and not understand how to calibrate trim. Please help!

Grip_Runner
05-06-2017, 09:47 AM
thanks cosset for the awesome guide I have finally managed to set my mfc up correctly and can now continue with my production line I tired every guide I could find no luck try this one and first time it works I have made several copies to be on the safe side :)

jack van
05-06-2017, 01:16 PM
i have a dx 18 radio with ar 9020 i have used y harnesses when i installed my mfu-01 so far it seems to work have not had a serious play as of yet as i am haveing problem with trans and locking hubs slipping ,

ittigger
03-03-2018, 03:14 PM
I have figured out a resolution to the Start / Stop with Spektrum DX6i:

Steps (based on instructions found previously - listed here - http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=3535):

D/R Settings:

ELEV - with Elev D/R in position 0 (set it as follows):

ELEV 0 | 60% | INH
Change Elev D/R to position 1
ELEV 1 | 100% | +40%

RUDD modification: which allows for the Start / Stop functionality:

RUDD 0 | 60% | INH
Change Rudd D/R to position 1
RUDD 1 | 100% | +40%

-------------------------------------- Step By Step Instructions ---------------------------------------------------

a: Scroll down to D/R&EXPO and click.
b: Scroll through to the first column next to ELEV is selected, and click.
c: Ensure the ELEV D/R switch is set to 0, there should be a 0 next to ELEV on the screen.
d: Change value to 60% using the scroll wheel and click.
e: Move the ELEV D/R switch on the Transmitter from 0 to 1, there should now be a 1 next to ELEV on the screen.
f: Back on the screen, ensure that the first column for ELEV is set to 100%
g. Move the scroll wheel to the second column of ELEV and click.
h. Change the value to +40% and click.
i. Move the ELEV D/R switch back to 0 from 1, there should now be a 0 next to ELEV on the screen.
j. Scroll through to the first column next to RUDD is selected, and click.
k. Ensure the RUDD D/R switch is set to 0, there should be a 0 next to RUDD on the screen.
l. Change value to 60% using the scroll wheel and click.
m. Move the RUDD D/R switch on the Transmitter from 0 to 1, there should now be a 1 next to RUDD on the screen.
n. Back on the screen, ensure that the first column for RUDD is set to 100%
o. Move the scroll wheel to the second column of RUDD and click.
p. Change the value to +40% and click.
q. Move the RUDD D/R switch back to 0 from 1, there should now be a 0 next to RUDD on the screen.
r. Scroll until List in the top right hand corner is selected, and click.
Save settings and exir programming mode

------------------------------- End Of Step By Step Instructions ---------------------------------------------------

Make sure all toggles are set to position 0 and go through the MFU setup again.

1: Press and hold the MFU 'Set' button for 1 second, MFU should stop engine the control box will blink.
2: From the Transmitter, move the left stick completely up & down then to center and wait. The LED on the control unit will blink 3 times.
3: Move the left stick completely right & left and to center. Again, the LED on the control unit will blink 3 times.
4: Move the right stick completely up & down and then to center. Wait for the LED to blink 3 times.
5. Move the right stick completely left & right and then to center. This time, the LED will blink 3 times quickly, and then will blink slowly.
6. Press the Set button on the control unit, the LED will then blink and turn on.

Using the Transmitter, I now have:

Elev D/R in position 1
a: Throttle is left stick - up & down.
b: Steering is right stick - left & right.
c: Changing gears is left stick - left & right.
d: Long horn is right stick up.
e: Short horn is right stick down.

Elev D/R in position 1
g: To turn on / off the hazard lights, move right stick up
h: To get through the light functions, move the right stick down.

Elev D/R & Rudd D/R in position 1:
i: To stop / start the engine, put the left stick in the left position and the right stick to the up position.

Gear Toggle:
i: To operate the Fifth Wheel / Landing Gear, use the Gear toggle switch.

I have confirmed the start / stop resolution works for the Futaba T8J radios as well. I don't know what the effect of the change is to other operations (if any) but I know that start / stop now works - as well as all other operations.

Now for the questions:

Is there a way to assign these 'functions' (lights, start / stop) to a toggle switch?

If I wanted to add more lights, can I control them off of the transmitter? If so, how? Does anyone know of a wireless trailer lighting / legs solution that works with the MFU. I was considering the SS-Tronix as they had built in control for the legs but they're not producing anything at the moment. I've also heard of the OB-1 but it won't control the legs and leaves the lights on (again, from what I've heard). Any ideas? I'd also like to add additional lights to the cab and trailer and have them controlled by the transmitter. I've also heard that Servonaut may have something (AIRU / AMO) that works with the MFU like the SS-Tronix does? Anyone have knowledge of this? Can someone assist?

ittigger
04-18-2018, 10:29 AM
For the Spektrum DX6i and as pertains to the Motorized trailer legs, - if you use the Gear port for the 5th wheel, then you have essentially 'Raise' or 'Lower' as your only options, correct? If this is true, how do you get to 'neutral' so that you're not constantly raising or lowering the landing legs?